Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
baker2gs
baker2gs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle & PDF Rendering Tips?

Hello, I've been a member of this forum since I received my 2nd gen.

When I got it I was stoked because I have a bunch of e-books in PDF form, but as I learned quickly it renders them like crap. I have tried a number of conversion methods (PDFRead, PDFill, Mobipocket Creator) and still it seems they don't render well. Often times it looks the same or if I convert to html the breaks in pages are totally off.

I wanted to ask is there a simple way to deal with this? Is there any sure fire conversion methods that will make a PDF readable (in converted format) on this darn device?

Lately I've found rotating the device to landscape but that seems to require hitting "next page" a lot more.

With this constant frustration I'm considering ditching this device for one that is more PDF friendly, but I wanted to see if there was any insight before I took a drastic measure.
baker2gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
For whatever it's worth, I use Briss to crop the margins of the PDF. That helps a little for me.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just treat PDF like it doesn't exist. Saves all the hassle that way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
baker2gs

I've tried Briss, it just takes too long for some of the larger books. PDFill seems to work well with cropping off the margins, I think it's the same idea as Briss

Also I wish I could avoid PDF in general but most of the free ebooks come in that format.

I'll just go back to using a netbook I suppose.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
I don't have an answer if you're dealing with graphics, but for weird text breaks try Calibre and playing with the "Line Un-Wrapping Factor" under the PDF input option when converting. I'm using version 0.7.13. It says the default for this setting is .5, but when I manually enter .5 I get a very different result than when leaving it stock. I'm sure it's worth trying different settings based on the source.

I also use the option of pulling the html from the "Debug" option to clean up anything that was missed. I had a book that I was having a heck of a time with. After changing the "Line Un-Wrapping Factor" the only errors I had to go in and manually fix were the start of chapters. Sometimes the chapter number ran into the first line of text.

I'm very new, so there is probably less convoluted ways of getting this done.

-M
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@baker2gs

No there is no easy way, and since each PDF is different there is no one is best.

I use soPDF, BRISS, and PaperCrop. Each one of these tools works best for a specific type of PDF.

soPDF, is the easiest to use, and can

BRISS offers the best margin crop feature, and since it is in Java it works everywhere. It also keeps bookmarks.

PaperCrop is the best for more complicated PDF, and has a good reflow. The problem is it turns all the PDF to images. If you have image based PDF this is the best one to use.

When you say most free books are PDF, do you mean out of copyright? If so there are a wealth of sites that have MOBI formatted books that you can download without any hassle.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
baker2gs

Wow, thanks for the tips. I guess it's trial and error to figure out what program to use for what PDF?

Most of the ebooks I have in PDF form do not have graphics or graphics necessary for the content. I think I will take a look at the reflow option for Calibre.

@=X= they are out of copyright - free ones distributed by the authors.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #8
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
briss is a good idea
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote