Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
General tips for terrified newbies?

After some careful indoctrination, I got my book-loving but tech-phobic mother on board with the idea of an ebook reader and nurtured her tepid interest to the point where she accepted a Kobo Reader as a mother's day/retirement gift from me. She spent about half an hour getting comfortable with using the buttons and performing basic navigation tasks while I was there, and I got ADE all set up for her so she could download books if she wanted to. But she seems unreasonably terrified of the software. After finally declaring that she 'loves' the reader and that it is adorable, she said 'well, at least I don't have to worry about buying the books for it.' Oh? 'Well, I just figure that if there are any books I want, I will tell you and you will buy them for me and put them on the reader when you come over and I'll just pay you back for them.'

I really don't think ADE is that hard, and certainly the Kobo is about as bare-bones and simplistic as they come. I don't really know how to convince her that the Adobe software is not out to get her and that buying an ebook herself is an attainable goal. If it were not for the price, I would have gotten her a Kindle and then she would never need to worry about the computer at all, but she saw my Kindle and the keyboard scared her away. Plus the Kobo is smaller and lighter and cuter.

So...next steps?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I'm glad she liked it.

For my mom, I wrote out a step by step guide in a notebook for her to follow. I also put label tags on all the cords.. (USB to computer on one end and round barrel plug to Reader on the other end - same with the wall charger)

I think that if I do it again, I would make screen shots showing arrows pointing to what should be "clicked" in the program to match with the step by step instructions. I would print it out and put it in plastic sleeves in a notebook for her.

It would save a lot of weird hour phone calls to me trying to figure out what she is trying to describe that had "messed" up.

Good Luck.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
Tricorp
Enthusiast
Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
Good luck, one of the reasons that most of my family has a kindle is because it requires no computer at all.
Tricorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Can you have her buy/download books, while you're there? After she's done about 10 she should be OK with a step by step piece of paper, she can refer to, when on her own...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Tell her to visit MobileRead and just download books for free. No need to fiddle with ADE, authorizations, upgrades, PIDs, PINs, credit cards...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 05:26 AM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Tell her to visit MobileRead and just download books for free. No need to fiddle with ADE, authorizations, upgrades, PIDs, PINs, credit cards...
She still has to get the files on the e-reader. At leastt with ADE she won't have to figure out how to find the files on the PC and transfer them manually.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Let her get comfortable with the reader first. Once she has that under her belt, then she may be less terrified about learning to load books for it.

Small steps
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I agree with GhostHawk, let her get used to using the reader. Then when she wants you to buy her a book go to her and talk her through it, step by step. Teaching by doing helps people remember much more than just explaining. It also shows that there is nothing to fear. If she is tech-phobic then small steps are definitely the way to go. She will learn that it doesn't bite, and mistakes can be fixed fairly easily.

Good for you, getting her a reader.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Agree with the others. Let her get comfortable with the reader first. And since it isn't really a big deal to download the books, just do so at her house buying them with her credit card & get them on her reader for her.

Make sure she is observing while you do it. When she see how easy it is, she'll want to do it herself.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
After some careful indoctrination, I got my book-loving but tech-phobic mother on board with the idea of an ebook reader and nurtured her tepid interest to the point where she accepted a Kobo Reader as a mother's day/retirement gift from me.
So...next steps?
Before retirement did she use "real" computers (as opposed to point of sales computers etc.)?

It sounds like she is grudgingly accepting the reader but balking at the use of a computer. If so then (assuming that she has a computer) download the books that she wants while she watches, but don't try to show her how to do it.

After a while it will look familiar to her. By then she will, hopefully, have gotten in to reading on the ereader. Now start to teach her to download the books that she wants.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Good for you to stick with ADE - the Kobo software seems to be tailored to the multi-device person. Much more complicated and tiresome to use than the ADE software. And she can still buy epub from Kobo and d/l to ADE before putting it on the Kobo. I hope your Mom enjoys her reader!
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote