Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #1
Menelas
Menelas began at the beginning.

Device: None
Post eReader - Limited choices in Australia

G'day everyone!

I'd like to enter the eReader world, but have found that my choices here in Australia are rather limited. We only seem to have brick and mortar access to Kindle or Kobo. I am hesitant to buy from an overseas online seller, as Australia has excellent consumer protection laws and trying to negotiate returns with overseas vendors seems tricky.

Between Kindle and Kobo, I am currently leaning towards a Kobo (Aura One or Aura H2O 2), however with reservations. Here is my thinking:

Pro Kobo arguments:

1. Epub integration is important to me. Kobo does this natively, Kindle requires an additional step.

2. I like the option of being able to borrow library books. In Australia, Kindle is currently not supported by our libraries.

3. I am computer savvy and like the idea of having a reader that is more customisable.

Against Kobo arguments:

1. There appears to be an issue with quality control. From reading online and speaking to owners, it sounds like there are quite a few Kobo lemons around.

2. It seems Kobo is pricey. H2O 2 is A$230 and the Aura One A$350! Even waiting for a 20% off sale still makes this a pricey option. While Kindle prices are comparable, people seem to rate their quality higher.

Some other factors influencing my decision:

1. I am computer savvy, so don't mind having to do a bit of converting to be able to access epub or library books on a different device. Calibre seems the go to tool here.

2. I like the idea of having a waterproof reader. We have a pool and live by the beach, so it's nice not having to worry about water damage.

3. If another reader was available internationally which met my requirements and was significantly cheaper, I would also consider that.

Thanks for staying with me. As you can see, I really want to get this right and have a reader I'll get a lot out of. Looking forward to reading your comments.
Menelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Go for it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I agree on the Kobo quality observation as I am in the process of returning a 32 GB Kobo Aura One that arrived with non functional wi-fi. I do not know about in Australia but in the USA the only way to buy a new Kobo is from the Kobo store in Canada and it took about 10 days to arrive, only to be defective. Kobo return has been a PITA compared to my dealings with Amazon here in the USA.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have an H2O and compared to a Kindle Paperwhite 3, the quality (IMHO), is better.

I also prefer the more options for reader that I get with Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
BTW you might want to search the Amazon store in Australia as here in the USA the Amazon store lists multiple ebook reader makers offerings in addition to the Kindles. Not sure about the availability of bookstore support buy any library that offers Epub ebooks should be able to provide support via wi-fi download I would hope. Amazon USA is the only sales point I know of for a number of ebook readers normally only available in Europe so far as I know.

Common ebook reader availability in the USA is pretty much limited to Kindle and Barnes & Noble Nook ebook readers. Kobos are only available via phone or email order from the Kobo store in Canada so do not feel too bad about limited choices as for most purposes the situation is not that much better here.

Last edited by Richwood; 01-15-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
It looks like the Kobo H2O 2 would be your best choice, considering your needs and location.

(Although it looks like the PaperWhite is currently on sale for $159 in Australia on the Amazon website.)

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product...ms_ribbon?th=1
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Menelas,

You mentioned that you're computer savvy. Is tinkering with your new device to get a more customised reading experience something you might actually enjoy or is it to be avoided unless absolutely necessary?

If it's the former then I suggest you head over to the MR Amazon forums to check on the current state of Kindle jailbreaking on the model you're planning to buy. Amazon really want you to use their devices in the way they see fit, not necessarily the way you might prefer. If you don't jailbreak it you need to make sure you'll be happy with the out-of-the-box features.

It doesn't sound like you're a calibre user just yet, so I'm not sure whether this is important to you. If you're planning to become one and calibre will be your master book repository then you will probably want to be able to transfer book metadata from calibre to your reading device (e.g. series, synopsis, Collections etc). Kobos are much better at this than Kindles.

As to "lemons", I can only go off my own experiences. I've owned 6 different Kobo models. The only problem I've ever seen with any of them is with the 'full orange' mode on my AuraOne. The colouring is not even when the orange-level is high. If I switch that to zero and just use the standard normal light both colour and brightness are very even.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:15 PM   #8
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I do not know about in Australia but in the USA the only way to buy a new Kobo is from the Kobo store in Canada.
I've bought all 3 of the Kobo readers I purchased new from Amazon.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #9
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I owned every Kindle model that came out since 2010 and never had any lemons. They seem to be well made. I did not like the basic kindle for no backlight and I could not read well on it. I highly recommend the Voyage or the Oasis.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #10
Menelas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@Menelas,

You mentioned that you're computer savvy. Is tinkering with your new device to get a more customised reading experience something you might actually enjoy or is it to be avoided unless absolutely necessary?

If it's the former then I suggest you head over to the MR Amazon forums to check on the current state of Kindle jailbreaking on the model you're planning to buy.
Yes, I really enjoy tinkering and was an avid iPhone jailbreaker 'back in the day'. Thanks heaps for pointing this out. It may well be right up my alley. I'll be sure to head over and have a read.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:41 PM   #11
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've had Kindles and Kobos and I've never had any problems with either. I prefer the Kindles but if I could only have a Kobo that would be alright too.

My suggestion is look at the features and decide which are the best fit for you. They're both excellent and you can't make a bad choice.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:01 PM   #12
Menelas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It looks like the Kobo H2O 2 would be your best choice, considering your needs and location.
That was the first device I was thinking about getting and then I saw the Aura One and couldn't help but wonder if the premium model would be even nicer to have. But maybe it's not really worth the extra money?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:05 PM   #13
Menelas

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I've had Kindles and Kobos and I've never had any problems with either. I prefer the Kindles but if I could only have a Kobo that would be alright too.

My suggestion is look at the features and decide which are the best fit for you. They're both excellent and you can't make a bad choice.

Barry
Thanks Barry. I suspect in the end it comes down to biting the bullet, deciding on one and enjoying it thoroughly. That's a pretty nice dilemma to be in.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:42 AM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
My advice, taking everything in your OP together, is to grab an H2O2 from JB HiFi (or whatever local store where you have confidence in their customer service). I believe the lemon rate is pretty low, but if you do get one you can simply exchange it on the spot. Order a good case and treat it carefully - many "failures" are just broken screens.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:31 AM   #15
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I live in Sydney. I have a Kindle Voyage and a Kobo Aura One. The kobo has a great screen - very adjustable, and I can get library books direct to the reader. However the Voyage is handier for taking out and about (I often read on the train) and the Amazon system is so much easier to deal with.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote