Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #61
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Thanks man! I was afraid I'd wind up with two copies.

Incidentally, in the Kobo TouchExtended settings, there was the box to hyphenate files and then there was a separate box to remove hyphenation. There may be good and valid reasons to have two seemingly contradictory boxes. But it is a confusing UI choice. At the very least, it might be a good idea to place both boxes side by side.
They do two very different and not quite contradictory things.

The turn off option add things to the stylesheet to disable hyhpenation. There are several ways to do this depending on the renderer and the driver adds most of them.

The hyphenate option actually does the hyphenation in the book. It runs through the book and adds soft hyphen character in all the appropriate places. When the book is displayed, these are used instead of the hyphenation dictionary.

I have no idea how these two would interact, but, if you do the latter, it makes sense to turn the hyphenation engine off in the ereader so it doesn't try to do it twice.

Edit: I really should check things before I open my mouth.

As jackie_w pointed out, the two options are really about which of two hyphenation relate stylesheets to add: one to force the hypnation off, the other to force it on. And the reason for the two options like this is that the driver configuration could only support checkboxes and text fields. Hence a two checkboxes to turn on opposite functions. With my changes to the driver configuration earlier in the year, this could be changed to more sensible looking options if someone wants to do the work.

Last edited by davidfor; 12-15-2016 at 07:15 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #62
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The hyphenate option actually does the hyphenation in the book. It runs through the book and adds soft hyphen character in all the appropriate places. When the book is displayed, these are used instead of the hyphenation dictionary.
I don't think KoboTouchExtended does anything with soft hyphens, does it? As far as I understand it, in KTE:
  • if 'Hyphenate files' is enabled then the KTE CSS file hyphenation.css is inserted into the kepub.
  • if 'Disable hyphenation' is enabled then the KTE CSS file no-hyphens.css is inserted into the kepub.
  • if neither is enabled then no hyphenation CSS is added to (or removed from) the kepub
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2016, 07:10 PM   #63
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I don't think KoboTouchExtended does anything with soft hyphens, does it? As far as I understand it, in KTE:
  • if 'Hyphenate files' is enabled then the KTE CSS file hyphenation.css is inserted into the kepub.
  • if 'Disable hyphenation' is enabled then the KTE CSS file no-hyphens.css is inserted into the kepub.
  • if neither is enabled then no hyphenation CSS is added to (or removed from) the kepub
Your right. I would have sworn that it was doing the soft hyphens as well. Maybe Joel discussed it but the Hyphenate This! plugin came along.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:31 PM   #64
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As jackie_w pointed out, the two options are really about which of two hyphenation relate stylesheets to add: one to force the hypnation off, the other to force it on. And the reason for the two options like this is that the driver configuration could only support checkboxes and text fields. Hence a two checkboxes to turn on opposite functions. With my changes to the driver configuration earlier in the year, this could be changed to more sensible looking options if someone wants to do the work.
It might save users some confusion to have KTE default to one of those options and users could choose to disable the default.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:53 AM   #65
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It might save users some confusion to have KTE default to one of those options and users could choose to disable the default.
The options are about forcing it one way or the other. If they are not set, it will be either the firmware deciding based on its rules, or using any options already in the book. Personally, I've never turned either option on except as a test.
Advert
Old 12-16-2016, 02:56 AM   #66
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If it was up to me, I would have hyphenation be the default and you have to turn it off specifically to disable hyphens.
I don't agree
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:04 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I don't agree
I think more people would prefer hyphenation then not. So on by default (IMHO) is best.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:57 AM   #68
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think more people would prefer hyphenation then not. So on by default (IMHO) is best.
I think most people don't notice and just let the device defaults handle it. Both should be off by default.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:31 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you've installed a different firmware version, remember, you'll also have to reinstall the hyphenation dictionary.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #70
kido.resuri
Groupie
kido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
So, to be clear. If I have a LibreOffice/OpenOffice compatible hyphen.dic, than I can convert it to use it on Kobo, by just adding these lines:
LEFTHYPHENMIN 3
RIGHTHYPHENMIN 3
to the begenning (after UTF-8), and it will work if I copy it to Kobo?
Do I have to make any more modifications/conversion?
kido.resuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:45 AM   #71
helour
Enthusiast
helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Onyx M96, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kido.resuri View Post
So, to be clear. If I have a LibreOffice/OpenOffice compatible hyphen.dic, than I can convert it to use it on Kobo, by just adding these lines:
LEFTHYPHENMIN 3
RIGHTHYPHENMIN 3
to the beginning (after UTF-8), and it will work if I copy it to Kobo?
Yes
Quote:
Do I have to make any more modifications/conversion?
No, I suppose that your *.dic file is already in the UTF-8
helour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:54 AM   #72
kido.resuri
Groupie
kido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura about

Nice, thanks.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:17 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You'll need to download one of my files and replace the dictionary in there with the one of your choice so when you copy it to the .kobo directory, it will install in the correct place.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #74
kido.resuri
Groupie

Ok, I tried it, but something goes wrong. I think the hyphen dic is too large for Kobo (855,2 k).
I used this the one from this OpenOffice extension:
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/...ictionary-pack

I tried on a previously opened book, it does the hyphenation, altough the text looks better without the hyphen-dic installed, and the book fails when reading, Kobo show a blank page when I opened the book, then i tried to jump to the chapter where it was last open, it loaded the page, but i could only turn one page to the right, then Kobo exit the book and told me i have finished the book. The same happanes when i try to turn back one page, or it does not turn the page at all. I can't even jump to pages in the menu. After removing the hyphen dic file, it's back to normal. Wierd.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

How did you install this hyphenation dictionary? Also,pleasepost the header of the dictionary after you modified it (everything before the first dictionary entry).

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-20-2017 at 07:38 PM.