Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #76
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
TBH = to be honest.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #77
ekf
ekf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle NT 4
Is there a shortcut for screen rotation?

Does anyone know of a shortcut for screen rotation on the Kindle 4 NT?

My display has a line about 1 inch long from pressure damage which obstructs the first three lines of each page. Being able to rotate quickly will prevent me from having to buy a new one.

I've just jailbroken it and am searching for a hack to rotate with the directional buttons, but that search is a bit daunting.

Thanks in advance... my first post.
ekf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #78
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=31

Might be helpful...

It autoscrolls the page "Down a bit" when the page is turned...

For your use case you would amend /mnt/us/extensions/scoller/bin/autoscroller to read

PHP Code:
#!/bin/sh  
SSSTATE=`lipc-get-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver`  
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver 0 

# OKAY WE ARE CHANGING THIS BIT BELOW HERE
/mnt/us/extensions/scroller/bin/runner.sh 10 1 1 &  
# 10 is 10% down ,  1 is full flash refresh, 1 is Move DOWN
# you can play with less or more %age depending on the size of the damage

dbus-monitor "interface='com.lab126.powerd',member='goingToScreenSaver'" --systemkillall -9 runner.shlipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver "$SSSTATE"; ) &  
usleep 30000  
killall 
-INT dbus-monitor 

Requires KUAL

if you would prefer a way to just trigger rotation I can probably make that too...
let me know. ta.

EDIT: I was thinking about HOW you were going to use the rotation...
Would you prefer the scrolling to just UNTRIGGER after say 2 seconds or something?
we could probably do that as well.

More info = better answers

Last edited by twobob; 03-26-2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: fixed the binary, added use case script...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #79
ekf
ekf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle NT 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=31

Might be helpful...

It autoscrolls the page "Down a bit" when the page is turned...

For your use case you would amend /mnt/us/extensions/scoller/bin/autoscroller to read

PHP Code:
#!/bin/sh  
SSSTATE=`lipc-get-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver`  
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver 0 

# OKAY WE ARE CHANGING THIS BIT BELOW HERE
/mnt/us/extensions/scroller/bin/runner.sh 10 1 1 &  
# 10 is 10% down ,  1 is full flash refresh, 1 is Move DOWN
# you can play with less or more %age depending on the size of the damage

dbus-monitor "interface='com.lab126.powerd',member='goingToScreenSaver'" --systemkillall -9 runner.shlipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver "$SSSTATE"; ) &  
usleep 30000  
killall 
-INT dbus-monitor 

Requires KUAL

if you would prefer a way to just trigger rotation I can probably make that too...
let me know. ta.

EDIT: I was thinking about HOW you were going to use the rotation...
Would you prefer the scrolling to just UNTRIGGER after say 2 seconds or something?
we could probably do that as well.

More info = better answers
Thanks for being so helpful!

It would be amazing to JUST have a way to trigger rotation. Over-riding the physical buttons would be a perfect solution.

Do you think it is possible to re-map the page forward and back buttons? This would be my ideal setup:

(Button:New Function)
Right Previous Page: Rotate clockwise
Right Next Page: Next Page
Left Previous Page: Rotate counter-clockwise
Left Next Page: Previous Page

Another good one would be to change the chapter skip function on the 5-Way controller to rotate instead, but it would suck if it overrides the ability to scroll through words for the dictionary when I bring the cursor onto the page.
ekf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #80
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had a bit of a look at that.

Maybe. I'm still undecided.

"probably" is the answer...

The "4" is the big hang-up... shame you cant just use my new voice activated gui

Try the KUAL trick. I added notes for you on the thread.

Cheers.

You cant have it both ways... The buttons either do their job or they dont...
Perhaps I could figure out a MUTLI-PRESS solution at some point.. but I fear there would be too many "accidental other clicks" which might be annoying.

It's on the pile to look at. but as a solution that should work has been presented I have to say it's now near the bottom. If you don't mind.

Last edited by twobob; 03-29-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #81
gal_amy
Connoisseur
gal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, Kindle HDX, iPhone6, iPhone7, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's the Kindle that is $69 dollars. There is a Silver and Black version. The Black has better QC.
What is QC?

I just ordered this model, only because it's the cheapest, not having an ebook reader before. After I ordered it, i didn't realize it wasn't a touch screen. Coming from an iPad mini, hopefully I can figure it out.*~*Amy*~*
gal_amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #82
twobob

QC = Quality Control. (It's a bit better made is the implication)

(don't listen "little silver k4" she doesn't know how beautiful you are...) hehehe
Old 04-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #83
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by gal_amy View Post
What is QC?

I just ordered this model, only because it's the cheapest, not having an ebook reader before. After I ordered it, i didn't realize it wasn't a touch screen. Coming from an iPad mini, hopefully I can figure it out.*~*Amy*~*
Quality Control. It means there is a better chance at getting a unit that has no defects or blemishes and good contrast. I strongly recommend for a touch reader the Kindle Paperwhite. It's awesome! The only Kindle I now use.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #84
gal_amy
Connoisseur
gal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

MANY THANKS to jswinden, for this manual. I have a touch screen on on iPad, so when I ordered this model, I had no idea it wasn't a touch screen. I will used the 30 days to see if I like it, but $40 extra for the Paperwhite and front light might be worth it, if I can drop Netflix and go back to reading before VCR's & DVRs become available.

Amy

Last edited by gal_amy; 04-07-2013 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Wrong word
Old 04-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #85
gal_amy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Quality Control. It means there is a better chance at getting a unit that has no defects or blemishes and good contrast. I strongly recommend for a touch reader the Kindle Paperwhite. It's awesome! The only Kindle I now use.
I found out this model doesn't have the front light. Is the Paperwhite bigger? Now I have to figure out if I will use it enough to justify the increase in price.

Are you an avid reader?

I used to be before the advent of the VCR/DVR and Netflix. We don't have cable.

Last edited by gal_amy; 04-07-2013 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Wrong word
Old 04-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #86
twobob

about 5 mm taller.? maybe?

maybe a few mm thicker. unnoticeable (black is very slimming)

almost identical in size.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #87
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I found out this model doesn't have the back light. Is the Paperwhite bigger? Now I have to figure out if I will use it enough to justify the increase in price.

Are you an avid reader?

I used to be before the advent of the VCR/DVR and Netflix. We don't have cable.
It's heavier and little bit bigger but not by much. It feels solid and I like that. The Paperwhite is front lit comes with a much nicer interface with book covers! You can have custom fonts on it which makes it perfect for me. The difference in screen is like night and day. The Paperwhite screen is so much nicer. It has a higher resolution than the K4.

I read about 110 books a year since I got my Kindle. Reading is pretty much all I do. I don't watch TV though we also have Netflix and channels like that on Roku. We ditched cable last year.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #88
gal_amy
Connoisseur

Quote:

I read about 110 books a year since I got my Kindle. Reading is pretty much all I do. I don't watch TV though we also have Netflix and channels like that on Roku. We ditched cable last year.
I hate retuning things, but I am going to send it back. Which cover did you buy? What did you you do with your K4?

*~*Amy
Old 04-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #89
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I hate retuning things, but I am going to send it back. Which cover did you buy? What did you you do with your K4?

*~*Amy
I bought the official cover in black and I love it. It feels like holding a book and has a auto on/off feature.

I have two K4s and a K3 just lying around collecting dust. I can't use them because the screen looks dirty and the text ugly now I'm use to a higher resolution and cleaner background.

I love my Paperwhite!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #90
FredF
FredF can extract oil from cheeseFredF can extract oil from cheeseFredF can extract oil from cheeseFredF can extract oil from cheeseFredF can extract oil from cheeseFredF can extract oil from cheeseFredF can extract oil from cheeseFredF can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 4
Not quite sure if this is a shortcut or not, but if you hold the keyboard button and press the left previous page button twice, a screen displays showing a barcode and your serial number. Works from most screens.
Also is typing 'is' into Search my items considered a short cut. That gives you the time and date. Also, what about @help and so on.

Last edited by FredF; 05-04-2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: New Idea
FredF is offline   Reply With Quote