Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
Captain_Obvious
Captain_Obvious began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc
Kobo Touch Wi-Fi connection issues

Hi all,

So I bought a Kobo touch yesterday. Set up went swimmingly and reading a book was a blast. The problem arose when I tried to sync over Wi-Fi. It found my network and I entered my password but it would not connect to the network. Thinking I had mis-typed my password, I tried again. Same thing. I thought I had maybe been mistaken what my password was so I tried setting up another wireless device I had lying around with the same password. It connected. So I'm lost. Has anyone else had this issue? Can someone see what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I kmow at one point (with the Kobo WiFi) I had a REAL issue with the Kobo seeming to misidentify the WiFi security scheme; showing WEP when I had WPA / WPA2 configured.

I think at that time I ended up rebooting the router and that seemed to help.

Also I think (again from the WiFi) I had seen comments on long passwords causing issues.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Captain_Obvious
Captain_Obvious began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc
Thanks for the heads up about the WiFi security scheme problem. I manually entered my network this time instead of having the device find it and manually set the security scheme and presto, it worked. The weird thing was that when I had it detect my network automatically, it recognized the type of security but wouldn't work. Manually entering it, though, seemed to work.

So long story short, thanks PeterT!
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
I have a question here - but I didn't to create a new thread for nothing - about pswd - can the Kobo be pswd locked????
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
No. I don't think any of the eInk readers can be locked. Fortunately, credit card info and the like are not stored on them. I don't store work related documents on mine.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
Thanks for the heads up about the WiFi security scheme problem. I manually entered my network this time instead of having the device find it and manually set the security scheme and presto, it worked. The weird thing was that when I had it detect my network automatically, it recognized the type of security but wouldn't work. Manually entering it, though, seemed to work.

So long story short, thanks PeterT!
Ditto on what happened to you. I had the same last night (including it showing WPA) but wouldn't take the password. I ended up doing the same as you and added the network manually and it worked 1st try. Some sort of small bug in there somewhere.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
I got my kobo touch 2 hours ago and i was able to connect no problem though i have a wireless g router if you have a wireless g router that may be why you cant connect since the kobo touch has a wireless n adapter
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes101 View Post
I got my kobo touch 2 hours ago and i was able to connect no problem though i have a wireless g router if you have a wireless g router that may be why you cant connect since the kobo touch has a wireless n adapter
actually, the kobo supports b, g and n. mine connected without issue to my g routers (I have two, one acting as a repeater).
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
actually, the kobo supports b, g and n. mine connected without issue to my g routers (I have two, one acting as a repeater).
oh if thats the case then nevermind
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Actually, the Kindle 3 can be password locked. I've never enabled that because I'm the only one (other than my husband) who has access. I trust the cute guy.

As for wifi issues, I have not had them with the Kobos but I did have an initial problem with the Kindle 3. I tried the password, I knew I was typing it correctly ... but no go. The solution above -- creating a manual connection -- fixed this and I've never had trouble since. Weird, but reasonably easy to solve.

And, yes, N is better but it's also backwards compatible with G and B (does anyone have a B?).
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
toolio
Enthusiast
toolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader/IPAQ 210/Ipod Touch
I had the same problem. Kept telling me my password was wrong. It finally worked after I exited the wifi feature, put the reader to sleep, then tried again.
toolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
thepossum
Zealot
thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo
I have a quick question about the Kobo Touch's wifi. I got it connecting fine at home but not at work, the difference being that there is no dhcp server running at work and for various technical reasons there can't be one.

Can the connection details be set up manually? This means setting up my IP address manually, plus my gateway, dns servers, etc.
thepossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #13
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepossum View Post
I have a quick question about the Kobo Touch's wifi. I got it connecting fine at home but not at work, the difference being that there is no dhcp server running at work and for various technical reasons there can't be one.

Can the connection details be set up manually? This means setting up my IP address manually, plus my gateway, dns servers, etc.

while you can manually add a hidden server now it seems, you unfortunately can't modify IP settings, so the system you're connecting to needs to be DHCP enabled.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
From page 47 of the user guide : "This eReader does not support networks secured with the WPA Enterprise protocol." If that is what you have, nope & what pyske said.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #15
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
From page 47 of the user guide : "This eReader does not support networks secured with the WPA Enterprise protocol." If that is what you have, nope & what pyske said.

No, not really anything to do with WPA Enterprise; That's a wireless security protocol. I know at home I try to have all my systems setup with static IP addresses (mainly for faster bootup times, but also for security), but have to keep DHCP enabled for visitors as well as devices, such as the kobo, that don't allow me to set static.