Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
What on earth makes DR1000S like/dislike a pdf???

Greetings,
I have to confess that this is driving me mad; I have lots of PDFs, and after more than 2 years, I still could not find out what makes dr1000s display some pdfs fast, and others very slow.
I'm talking about a text only, 20 page pdf file with a small size, and it is impossible to read it without waiting for 30 seconds between turn pages.
I've just converted a ps file (a PhD) to pdf and loaded to device, and page turns take forever. This is s 900+ kb file, and I have 3000 page pdfs which load much faster.
Is there anyone among us who may have an idea about how to make pdfs dr1000s friendly? I've asked this question before, but I can't remember getting a solid answer. Maybe someone found it out in time.
I do not have access to any commercial Adobe tools, so if you know a way of doing this with free tools, that'd be much appreciated. Actually, this is so annoying for me that I can consider buying any commercial product that may help me.
I've bought an E-Book in pdf form and it is blazing fast (around 700 pages with graphics etc). Sorry about the tone of the message, but this is really bugging me.

Best Regards
Seref
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
It could be an "Type3 fonts" issue.
Too slow to open PDFs? A solution!
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 02:27 AM   #3
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
That mail thread refers to the poppler-library. @Sarikan: Are you still using the R1.7.1 firmware or do you see this problem with the R2.0Beta firmware also?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
sarikan
Zealot

Yokos,
Thank you SO much!!! That link contained the solution to my problem. Finally!!!
Excuse my excitement, because this has been killing me ever since I've got this device.
Now I know how to fix it.

MackX,
I am still using 1.7.1 indeed. I am reluctant to upgrade, since as far as I know, 2.0 never reached a release status, it was beta at best. There were also reported problems with contrast etc, so I'll probably avoid it. Do you think it is worth considering for some reason? I have no problem with fixing the pdfs before reading them.

Best Regards
Seref
Old 01-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
In general use I find V2 much nicer. It just seems a bit more "complete".
The contrast is more or less the same as before as far as I can tell.

You can always go back to V1.7 if you don't like it. Easiest if you have 2 cards, use 1 with V1.7 and start a new one with V2
Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
In general use I find V2 much nicer. It just seems a bit more "complete".
The contrast is more or less the same as before as far as I can tell.

You can always go back to V1.7 if you don't like it. Easiest if you have 2 cards, use 1 with V1.7 and start a new one with V2
Howard
This might be confusing, I will use some more word to clarify (what I think that Howard is saying). The firmware is stored on the internal flash of the device, so just switching SD-cards will not work. The firmware stores extra information about the books on the SD-card (thumbnail, last read position, scribbles, bookmarks etc) in database-files on the SD-card. When you install the V2 firmware all these databases are upgraded to the new format that is used for V2. However, there is no way back to the V1.7.1 format.
So it is best to make a backup of the current content of the card (or use a new card as Howard is suggesting) so you will be able to get back to the old-firmware without loosing the information in the database-files.

See this document for more information.

Note that mobi-books are not supported by the native reader any-more, unprotected mobi books can be read with FBReader (if I am not mistaking).

Please ask any question if the procedure is not clear (English is not my native language) or if there are other things you want to know before upgrading.

Marcel.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
sarikan
Zealot

Thanks, this is helpful.

In that case, maybe I'll check out 2.0
BTW, I've found out some other pdfs which has been a problem for me, but the tool I've used under Ubuntu did not find any type3 fonts this time.
However, if I use someting called pdffonts (in Ubuntu), it finds embedded and type 3 fonts in the pdf.
If I could replace all fonts to safe-to-display Type 1 fonts, that'd be great. Once you do that, the display speed is amazing.

Need to find out the tool that can do that

Best Regards
Seref
Old 01-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
I would also advice trying out the new firmware. The difference in speed is certainly noticeable and worth the switch in my opinion.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
godel10
Connoisseur
godel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Librie, Irex DR1000S
By the way, a question on the new firmware

I am one of the few (as it seems) that decided not to upgrade the firmware and to kept 1.7. The reason for not doing so was that I really need to have some way (on my desktop computer) to merge my annotations into pdf's

I know that the "annotation files" are not compatible between the old firmware and the new one, but I would like to ask you

Is there some desktop software to use the "annotation files" of the new firmware to create a merged pdf (putting together my annotations and the original pdf)?
godel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
Desktop annotations merger - I doubt. There's a Xournal port for DR by Mackx which does this on the device.
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
Mackx
Guru

Note that xournal only merges the annotations well if the pdf-files are version 1.4 (i.e. Acrobat5 compatible). I am not sure if the old PC merger application also has limitations w.r.t. the pdf-file version?

Tags
pdf slow dr1000s