Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Anyone dislike series?

I dislike series novels. I feel like I am the only one on the planet who feels this way. I just want every novel to be a new world of its own, with its own characters and without having to remember the details of the novels that have gone before it.

I think mystery novels where only the "investigator" type person stays constant are fine (and even they are entitled to evolve over time.
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I tire of series more and more with each passing day. Especially ones that contain multiple volumes with no concrete beginnings or conclusions. As if your story is so complex/intricate that I should be forced to read novel-length, arc-less, volumes of setup-material just to be able to enjoy your conclusion--should you ever decide to conclude it, that is.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyyz View Post
I dislike series novels. I feel like I am the only one on the planet who feels this way. I just want every novel to be a new world of its own, with its own characters and without having to remember the details of the novels that have gone before it.

I think mystery novels where only the "investigator" type person stays constant are fine (and even they are entitled to evolve over time.
I'm not sure which series are worse, those that you have to remember every detail from the previous book or those which repeat the same details over and over and over again in every book. That to me looks like lazy writing.
Now mysteries with one or two main characters are good. Example: one detective.
I wish someone would write a series of books like the old TV series Emergency.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
So we aren't alone.
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Series can be good. If you enjoyed the characters and the places and such, then you get to revisit. What I think most would like would be a trilogy. Those get written pretty quick these days.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I like good series.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I like good series.
Apache
Same here. Of course, it all depends on how you define series. Is it a continuous story that gets split up, a la LOTR. Or is it a group of individual books with the same characters, a la Conan the Barbarian or Sherlock Holmes?

I actually like both. The issue is that sometimes authors don't want to stop a cash cow, so they start to extend the series rather than let it draw to a natural conclusion and then move in a different direction. I would put Jordan's WOT in this category and unfortunately, I think that Weber's Honor Harrington is now in that category as well.

To a certain extent, I think that Weber's problem is that he let others play in his universe before he completed the story and then tried to square the circle, so to speak. If he had ended it when he originally planned to (At All Costs), I think it would have been more satisfactory.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:43 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think we have to make a distinction between very long stories that just happened to be split over several books (e.g. Eddings' 6-book "Belgariad" series), and standalone novels that feature the same characters, but which can be read separately, although you'll get more from them if you do read them in order (in which I'd include such things as Bernard Cornwell's "Sharpe" series).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I dislike series and tend to avoid them. Even if they are the type where just the inspector carries over book to book. Of course, in the reality of the publishing world, series are pretty difficult to avoid.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:00 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I find an interesting set of characters in a book, I want to read more about them. I mean, why would one not want to?
Old 10-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If I find an interesting set of characters in a book, I want to read more about them. I mean, why would one not want to?
Because reading too much about them eventually makes them less interesting? There's nearly always a point of diminishing returns (for me) with recurring characters that I'd rather not get the chance to pass. I'd much rather pine for more and never get it, than get it and discover I've stopped caring.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:48 PM   #12
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I much prefer series that have a well-defined start and end point these days and of them I tend to prefer shorter ones to longer ones. For longer ones I try to wait until they are complete (or about to be complete) before reading them even if I love the author.

For series that are ongoing, I like "monster of the week" type stories that can be read as stand alone books (once you have the gist) rather than stories that build on each other a lot. That can be fine for a series with an end but for something that just goes on and on I really don't like it.

So mysteries with a small cast of regulars but without some ominous bad guy who has been pulling the strings of the minor bad guys are preferred. If there is some big bad guy, there is a resolution to that arc and it doesn't just go on and on.

Another example is Discworld which has a common setting and then follows a few characters through that world but doesn't require that you read everything prior to a given book to be able to understand and enjoy it. You can enjoy an individual sub-series in Discworld without ever reading something from a different sub-series. There are even some books that you can enjoy without reading the rest of the sub-series. (And yes, I know some people disagree with this vehemently. No, this doesn't apply to everyone and certainly not every book in the series, but it does apply for many. Let's not argue about it, ok?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
(e.g. Eddings' 6-book "Belgariad" series)
"6-book"? Am I missing one that I should have been reading with this? I always took the Mallorean and Belgarath/Polgara books as separate entities so I don't count them as part of the Belgariad.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Because reading too much about them eventually makes them less interesting? There's nearly always a point of diminishing returns (for me) with recurring characters that I'd rather not get the chance to pass. I'd much rather pine for more and never get it, than get it and discover I've stopped caring.
That strikes me akin to saying that, even though I really enjoyed my last meal of fish and chips, I'm never going to eat fish and chips again, because if I do, I might not enjoy it as I did the first time .
Old 10-16-2017, 04:54 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The thing with series is too many people say sure you can read out of order as they are standalone. No they aren't. There's always something mentioned in that book or another book that makes them not standalone.

I'm reading the Spencer series (Robert B. Parker) and the main characters do progress and reading out of order spoils that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The thing with series is too many people say sure you can read out of order as they are standalone. No they aren't. There's always something mentioned in that book or another book that makes them not standalone.

I'm reading the Spencer series (Robert B. Parker) and the main characters do progress and reading out of order spoils that.
Old Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys/Bobbsey Twins.

I guess those really don't count since they were all different writers under one pen name.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote