Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-05-2022, 11:40 AM   #1
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
Talkback not working

I recently updated kindle for android. Android version 12. Kindle version 8.64. It will read the first page then just stop on sideloaded ebooks . Anyone else have this problem. Non side loaded books straight from Amazon work
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:58 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Mostly Talkback on all versions of Android on most applications only reads one screen. It's an accessibility feature for partially sighted or blind, not regular Text To Speech (TTS). I'm surprised it ever read much more than a page.

Pocketbook for Android uses the default Speech Engine and voice packs that's installed for Talkback and does true TTS. You want a real eink kindle and use its serial number in a plug in for Calibre. Then from Amazon Content and Devices "download for USB transfer" picking that Kindle. Open the Kindle file with Calibre and convert to epub for the Pocketbook.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2022, 12:55 PM   #3
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
It does one page for sideloaded books. Books purchased from Amazon it does continuous reading. I have brought a kindle 2019 edition that uses voiceview. But bluetooth uses a lot of battery on my kindle. So I switch between my e-ink to kindle for android. I was using cool reader for a while with its tts. My phone crashed and I lost the pages I was on. So use the kindle to sync between devices. Thanks for letting me know about pocketbook. Will try. I
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 04:35 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2022 View Post
It does one page for sideloaded books.
I couldn't find anything that did more than the visible screen or the rest of a paragraph. Which is what Talkback is meant to do!

Quote:
Books purchased from Amazon it does continuous reading.
That must be some sort of special Amazon accessibility feature. Normal apps won't do that with Talkback. You need an app with a built in TTS button. Like Pocketbook, though it can't work directly with Amazon/Kindle files.

Quote:
I have brought a kindle 2019 edition that uses voiceview. But bluetooth uses a lot of battery on my kindle.
Voiceview is an accessibility feature, not TTS for sighted people. The older Kindles and some recent BT Kindles in China have real TTS.
Also BT earphones run flat. A 3.5mm jack is better quality and less power.

Most of the books I read are not from Amazon (nor Kobo) so Sync is of zero value. I just upgraded the Wife from an original Kobo Libra to a Sage. She has about 300 books bought from Amazon in nearly 10 years. I copied the contents of the Libra to PC and then to Sage. 1765 Books. I copied the database too, but that gave errors, so I reset. Then to "sync" the almost all PC books I simply used search on new Kobo with part of title, working from oldest to most recent "Reading" on the Libra and opening each to same %.
In the currently being read I simply searched for 4 words at top of the page to set position.

All faster than a WiFi sync, which will on only work on Amazon things with Amazon books and on Kobo things with Kobo books and on Apple things with Apple Books.

Sync is a ploy to spy on your use of bought books. Most people read one book at a time, and on 1 or maybe two devices. A search is faster than a Sync to WiFi on both gadgets. It doesn't work at all on any ecosystem with 3rd party content.

We never have WiFi or BT on on any eink.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote