Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #46
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
My inference is that people are satisfied with the eInk devices they have and don't see the point of an outlay for an incremental improvement. In my own case, my Aura One was still good enough when the Forma came out and similarly several here with the Oasis have said it's not worth upgrading only for a comfort light.

It's a mature market. People know how to use their devices. It's not surprising we don't get nearly so many trying to figure out the new shiny.
I agree, Forma is a temptation but I don't really need it. May be in future.

But if Amazon produced an 8" Kindle I think I'd buy it also if I just own a big screen reader.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #47
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Hmmm... , and only 3 pages in this thread? Six or more years ago a new Kindle announcement thread would have dozens or scores of pages within a few hours! I think it is a sign of the times where many have moved on to other devices for reading and abandoned eInk devices. They certainly don't seem that popular any more, judging by the lack of interest in the forums.
Yeah but three pages is lot for a re-release with a fricking new light. A light that Kobo and Nook have had for years....lmao ..
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #48
gldnbrwncouches
Enthusiast
gldnbrwncouches doesn't littergldnbrwncouches doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra H2O & Clara HD, Nook ST w/GL, GL+ (2015), Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Yeah but three pages is lot for a re-release with a fricking new light. A light that Kobo and Nook have had for years....lmao ..
The majority of the posts in the "three pages", seem to be discussing just that point. Amazon is catching up on what few features their device line up lacks compared to other readers. Still, to me $250 USD for a re-release of a product with such a small change would be a lot to upgrade from an already working Oasis. I'd need to already be upgrading for the larger screen or physical buttons, etc to justify it. Maybe that's just me though...
gldnbrwncouches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #49
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Three pages, and multiple threads.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #50
Kate79
Kate79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I set Kindle Oasis 2 to a black background with white font and this works for me. It doesn't seem worth updating just for the light.
Kate79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #51
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
It's possible, or it's possible that a lot of people already have a Kindle/ereader that they already like. The existing Oasis is pretty nice already, like the one before it. Not everyone cares about adjustable colour temperature.

There's studies to back up the value of it, Windows and Mac (the top operating systems) both include a colour temperature shift feature, iOS does, and I believe Android also does but I've never owned an Android phone. But I would guess that a lot of people think they'll just get by with the reader they have, or maybe they just aren't encountering a lot of sleep problems.

I sleep just fine after reading on my Oasis 2 and have done so with all the Kindles I've ever owned. I just would really, really prefer a warmer light, so it was a top request for me. For all I know, I may not buy another Kindle for 3-5 years more. We'll see what else comes out in another two years.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #52
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
I wouldn't buy one for a third of that. I read 20 to 30 minutes a day on my Oasis and have to charge it every third day. It gets old.
Is your wifi on? Sounds broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Hmmm... , and only 3 pages in this thread? Six or more years ago a new Kindle announcement thread would have dozens or scores of pages within a few hours! I think it is a sign of the times where many have moved on to other devices for reading and abandoned eInk devices. They certainly don't seem that popular any more, judging by the lack of interest in the forums.
Yawn. Kindle has nothing special except cheaper for 2nd hand. Other ereaders have better front lights, larger screens or stuff that's useful like 3rd party reader apps or easier to hack. I'm not tied to the amazon store so I think many people are bored of the lackluster quality of the amazon kindle. Overall a boring device.
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #53
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
Overall a boring device.
Boring, but stable. I use my Kindles for reading, not tinkering and hacking. I don't want to deal with any instabilities or bugs while reading. The Kindles are excellent workhorses, they'll never let you down.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #54
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I don't need the color change, but am interested in the slightly larger battery. Would they have added a larger battery because of the extra color leds ? I'm not sure how many leds the new Oasis has now, I'll have to look it up.

Just checked and the new oasis has 25 LEDS. Compared to 12 LEDS on the Oasis 9th gen.

Last edited by Wearever; 06-20-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #55
Flaneurette
Enthusiast
Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle oasis3/Kobo sage/nook4&4+/Kindle Scribe
The color temp upgrade is something I’ve been waiting for...Not really happy with my Forma or Nook GL3 for various reasons even tho I do like the lighting features. With the trade in of my oasis 2 it’s going to cost 126$ so not too bad. I remember when Sony and nook both had built in front lights before kindle and I was so tempted to buy one but I didn’t... I preordered the first paperwhite so dang fast!
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #56
Dropout
Enthusiast
Dropout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 8th Gen
Amazon has said most Kindle users do not upgrade yearly, some go as much as 5 years between upgrades. You are going to see more incremental upgrades from here on out. And really Amazon seems more concerned with adding more software features than anything.

I've wanted a bigger screened Kindle for a while, but was holding out for color temperature system. I figured the Oasis would be the first to get one, and lo and behold. I will definitely get this device at some point, either the end of this year/beginning of next, or when there is a discount. It'll be my read at home and in bed device.
Dropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #57
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Boring, but stable. I use my Kindles for reading, not tinkering and hacking. I don't want to deal with any instabilities or bugs while reading. The Kindles are excellent workhorses, they'll never let you down.
I don’t think they’re boring at all. The Oasis feels so luxe and beautiful, I personally adore the form factor. I just love to hold it, it feels so premium!!!
Seriously though, how the frig am I going to be able to wait over a whole month for this???

If the Forma wasn’t so poor re: Kobos quality control is definitely get that for the larger screen, but Kobos hardware is seriously piss poor. My old Aura Ones lights just started blinking out one by one for no reason. Kindle is a sturdy workhorse of a reader.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #58
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
I don’t think they’re boring at all. The Oasis feels so luxe and beautiful, I personally adore the form factor. I just love to hold it, it feels so premium!!!
I don't think so either. The Voyage and both the small and the big Oasis were all pretty newish and interesting, hardware-wise.

I'm thinking I won't be able resist the new Nook Glowlight Plus, if and when it's in stock again someday. Kobo probably won't upgrade their premium reader before late autumn, and so far they haven't offered anything particularly tempting for me, as far as the hardware goes. I'm not going to buy the new Oasis, not really interested in colored frontlights and the previous one is still going strong.

Last edited by Sirtel; 06-21-2019 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #59
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
Seriously though, how the frig am I going to be able to wait over a whole month for this???

If the Forma wasn’t so poor re: Kobos quality control is definitely get that for the larger screen, but Kobos hardware is seriously piss poor. My old Aura Ones lights just started blinking out one by one for no reason. Kindle is a sturdy workhorse of a reader.
I do prefer the Kindle hardware over Kobo, but they're so damned locked in. I have a PW2 running Koreader. It does what I need. I can configure the screen to act like ambidextrous buttons and I can organize books in system directories. But I can't do that without jail-breaking. So no more Kindles for me, not unless I'm sure I can JB it, and it's looking less and less likely that any new JB will ever be released. I think a new Kindle out of the box can be Jailbreaked, but I'm not sure, and probably a refurb cant be. Shame.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:51 PM   #60
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Agree 100%
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote