Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Xiaomi releases e-ink iReader

Chinese firm Xiaomi has released a 6" e-ink reader, the iReader T6.

The Digital Reader, GoodEreader

From what little I've seen, it's your typical 6" device with a 300 DPI Carta screen and 8GBs of internal storage. No word if it will be offered in the US.

Mostly, I just think iReader is a terrible name, especially for a company that is well known for ripping off Apple. But it is nice to see a new company release an e-ink reader.

I'm curious to see an English review of the device.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Looks good, running a proprietary Linux. Price is pretty high for what it is, if its going up against Kobo and Kindle.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Looks good, running a proprietary Linux. Price is pretty high for what it is, if its going up against Kobo and Kindle.
If it sells in the US and if it sells for the price they are charging in China, it comes out to $135. About the same (non-sale) price as the Paperwhite, Glowlight 3 and Clara HD.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:23 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Apparently this is not a Xiaomi product, nor did it just come out (there's lots of hand-on reviews from April, 2018 in China). According to a Xiaomi Reddit site, this iReader T6's only connection to Xiaomi is that it sold on Xiaomi Youpin e-Commerce Platform.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comm...er_t6_ereader/

I can't help but notice how much it looks like my Tolino Vision 2. Also weighs about the same, is about the same thickness, width and highth and has the same CPU, memory and battery capacity as the Vision 4 (though it doesn't (or does it?) have "night mode").

After a doing a little more searching, I find that iReader released the A6 (which is basically the same size and specs as the T6) on March 27th of this year. The main addition was the ability to listen to audio (Bluetooth, plus some kind of wired headphones, "Type-C?" USB, I guess ... USB AND headphone jack are both Type-C). The English is rough and little hard to follow. It also appears to have warm and cool light. And it may have TTS to read books to you (confirmed).

iReader A6 review (ad?) here...

https://smartlifefuture.com/2019/04/...ed-experience/

I've got a feeling the iReader A6 was the one that was just announced, not the iReader T6.
Reading a little closer, I see the A6 is also waterproof. Also has a built-in speaker. Also can play music and record voice notes.

And you can add your own fonts. I wonder if they're going to sell these in the U.S.?

Good review (using Google Translate) and pictures here...
https://post.smzdm.com/p/ar07kkkz/

Looks closely related to the Tolino Vision 4 HD (but with extras).

Also seems to support bookshelves... though this Google translation is a little rough...

Quote:
For local books, A6 has a very useful function, that is, you do not need to copy the e-book to a special directory, you can search and identify directly in the bookshelf, and also identify the self-built folder directory, when we copy the book The degree of freedom is mostly.
Apparently handles "real" PDF pretty well, but not "sewn together images" PDF...

Quote:
When reading books in pdf format, due to the relationship between making and typesetting, some books will display too small fonts on the 6-inch screen. A6 has a "rearrangement" function, which can make the fonts become the appropriate size, one button to get ,very useful.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-18-2019 at 04:46 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm... on Banggood, apparently. The T6, anyway.

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-to-pre-order/
Advert
Old 05-19-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If it sells in the US and if it sells for the price they are charging in China, it comes out to $135. About the same (non-sale) price as the Paperwhite, Glowlight 3 and Clara HD.
Just checked on Banggood, its $AU241 Not even in the ballpark for me. I would have been interested in the A6 which also has audio and the capacity to change the colour of the frontlight. It will be in the same range, I imagine. I'd probably pay for that if it were around that price. I paid $250 for the Sony PRS-650 and didnt bat an eyelid.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Hmm... on Banggood, apparently. The T6, anyway.

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-to-pre-order/
Apparently you've been able to buy a Palm Rading iReader T6 for a while. JoyBuy (don't know anything about them) is advertising the T6 for $139 (I'm guessing U.S. dollars).

(EDIT: It is U.S. dollars, it's AU$ 206.)

https://www.joybuy.com/search?keywor...xpand&bucket=3

But it looks to me like it would be worth waiting for the A6.

(Looking at the ad a little closer, I see they call this a "2nd Edition.")

Last edited by rcentros; 05-21-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

I see Xiaomi is starting some kind of collaborative e-commerce site, ShareSave, (to partner with other Chinese manufacturers to sell and support Chinese products in other countries). So maybe they've co-branded a couple of the iReader models? That might explain the "odd" news release.

http://blog.mi.com/en/2019/01/23/new...orm-sharesave/
Old 05-21-2019, 09:35 PM   #9
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'd be skeptical of a device from an unknown Chinese entity that's more expensive than what I'd consider the competition?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:12 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I'd be skeptical of a device from an unknown Chinese entity that's more expensive than what I'd consider the competition?
I'm pretty sure the devices' hardware is made by the same people who make Tolinos and Kobos... Netronix(?). I have no idea about the software. I haven't seen any iReader screens with the English language on any of them. But if they can "do" English, have decent software and the build quality is the same as a Tolinos I would be interested in seeing/buying the A6.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #11
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Has anyone seen this new device :
https://m.banggood.com/XIAOMI-MOAAN-...l?rmmds=search

It's known outside China as "Ink Case Smart Electronic Paper"

Enviado desde mi Redmi 3S mediante Tapatalk
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #12
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now a blog has announced Xiaomi isn't launching the device internationally and will be available only in chinese.

Hope it was fake news in order to encourage people to buy devices the blog/shop already sells and not delay the purchases waiting for Xiaomi's big ereader.

Enviado desde mi Redmi 3S mediante Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2019, 04:27 AM   #13
Dav_25
Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
Now a blog has announced Xiaomi isn't launching the device internationally and will be available only in chinese.
It's a pity it didn't go through, would have loved to test it.
Dav_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:30 AM   #14
viceant
Addict

Confirmed by Banggood: it won't have any other firmware than the Chinese version. A pity because I find Likebooks too many buggies and Onyx too much expensive
Old 11-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Ireland's 3rd language is Chinese, 2nd is Polish and 4th is Irish.
I only really know English and a tiny amount of French, German and Latin. I can properly pronounce some Irish, at least better than French, but never learnt it.

Obviously I should learn Chinese. They will overtake USA soon. Then also I could have Chinese subtitles instead of English on the DVD imports from Asia.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote