Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What will be our youthful perusal in May?
The Go-Between by L.P. Hartley 4 40.00%
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery 5 50.00%
Airman by Eoin Colfer 5 50.00%
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis 4 40.00%
A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L’Engle 6 60.00%
One Night in Winter by Simon Sebag Montefiore 4 40.00%
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman 6 60.00%
The Star Beast by Robert Heinlein 4 40.00%
Mother Carey's Chickens by Kate Douglas Wiggin 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2019, 07:06 AM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Vote for for May 2019 • You're Never Too Young: Children

Let's select the book we'll read and discuss in May 2019!

We love new participants. We're happy for you to vote, but we'd like to request that you not vote unless you plan to join the discussion whatever the selection, in the interest of a vibrant conversation. So if you haven't posted in a book club thread yet, do please say a quick hello here or in the Welcome thread.

This is a poll. Vote for as many books as you'd like. Questions? FAQs | Guidelines Or just ask!

Choices:

The Go-Between by L.P. Hartley
Amazon US $10.99 | Amazon UK £4.99 | Amazon CA $10.99 | Amazon AU $14.99
Spoiler:
Quote:
Summering with a fellow schoolboy on a great English estate, Leo, the hero of L. P. Hartley's finest novel, encounters a world of unimagined luxury. . . . The Go-Between is a masterpiece—a richly layered, spellbinding story about past and present, naiveté and knowledge, and the mysteries of the human heart.
Quote:
The book gives a critical view of society at the end of the Victorian era through the eyes of a naïve schoolboy outsider.

In the book’s prologue, Leo Colston chances upon a diary from 1900, the year of his thirteenth birthday, and gradually pieces together a memory that he has suppressed. Under its influence, and from the viewpoint of what he has become by the midpoint of “this hideous century”, Leo relives the events of what had once seemed to him its hopeful beginning.
344 pp.

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Public domain
Amazon | FadedPage | Audible
Spoiler:
Quote:
Eleven-year-old orphan Anne Shirley has just arrived at Green Gables, and already her guardians want to send her back. First, she’s not the boy the Cuthberts expected. Second, she talks too much. And even with her generous spirit, the redhead’s a trouble magnet. She gets the neighbor drunk and nearly poisons the pastor!

Still, despite a rocky start, the fiery Anne wins over her guardians and her new community. She enjoys life at Green Gables, excels in school, and earns a coveted scholarship. But when tragedy hits, Anne must choose between her dreams and the only home she’s ever known.

In this beloved coming-of-age story, Lucy Maud Montgomery drew from her own experiences growing up in Canada during the nineteenth century to introduce generations of readers to one of literature’s most original and inspiring characters.
320 pp.

Airman by Eoin Colfer
Amazon US$6.99 | Amazon UK £2.99 | Amazon CA $7.99 | Amazon AU $11.99 | Kobo US $6.99 | Kobo UK £2.99 | Kobo CA $7.99 | Kobo AU $11.99 | Kobo NZ $14.25
Spoiler:
Quote:
One dark night on the island of Great Saltee, fourteen-year-old Conor is framed for a terrible crime he didn’t commit. Thrown into prison by the dastardly Hugo Bonvilain, Conor is trapped in a seaswept dungeon and branded a traitor. He must escape and clear his name; he wants his old life back – his family, his friends . . . and his princess.

Conor knows there is only one way out. It’s an impossible task, which has never been done before. But Conor is determined to do it. He’ll have to fly.
416 pp.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Amazon US | Kobo US
Spoiler:
Quote:
Narnia .... a land frozen in eternal winter ... a country waiting to be set free.

Four adventurers step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia -- a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change ... and a great sacrifice.
180 pp.

A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L’Engle
$11 AU; $14 NZ; $8 CA; $7 US; £2UK
Spoiler:
Quote:
“Out of this wild night, a strange visitor comes to the Murry house and beckons Meg, her brother Charles Wallace, and their friend Calvin O'Keefe on a most dangerous and extraordinary adventure - one that will threaten their lives and our universe.

Winner of the 1963 Newbery Medal, A Wrinkle in Time is the first book in Madeleine L'Engle's classic Time Quintet.”
228 pp.

One Night in Winter (2014) by Simon Sebag Montefiore
Amazon US $8.49 | Kobo US $8.49 | Kobo Ca $10.99 | Kobo Au $12.99 | Kobo NZ $18.39 | Kobo UK £5.49
Spoiler:
Quote:
Inspired by a true story, prize-winning historian and acclaimed novelist Simon Sebag Montefiore explores the consequences of forbidden love in this heartbreaking epic of marriage, childhood, danger, and betrayal that unfolds in Stalin's Moscow during the bleak days after World War II.

As Moscow celebrates the motherland's glorious victory over the Nazis, shots ring out on the crowded streets. On a nearby bridge, a teenage boy and girl—dressed in traditional nineteenth-century costumes—lie dead. But this is no ordinary tragedy, because these are no ordinary teenagers. As the son and daughter of high-ranking Soviet officials, they attend the most elite school in Moscow. Was it an accident, or murder? Is it a conspiracy against Stalin, or one of his own terrifying intrigues?

On Stalin's instructions, a ruthless investigation begins into what becomes known as the Children's Case. Youth across the city are arrested and forced to testify against their friends and their parents. As families are ripped apart, all kinds of secrets come spilling out. Trapped at the center of this witch-hunt are two pairs of illicit lovers, who learn that matters of the heart exact a terrible price. By turns a darkly sophisticated political thriller, a rich historical saga, and a deeply human love story, Montefiore's masterful novel powerfully portrays the terror and drama of Stalin's Russia.
485 pp.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Amazon $8.99
Spoiler:
Quote:
After the grisly murder of his entire family, a toddler wanders into a graveyard where the ghosts and other supernatural residents agree to raise him as one of their own.

Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be completely normal if he didn't live in a sprawling graveyard, being raised and educated by ghosts, with a solitary guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor of the dead. There are dangers and adventures in the graveyard for a boy. But if Bod leaves the graveyard, then he will come under attack from the man Jack—who has already killed Bod's family...
325 pp.

The Star Beast by Robert Heinlein
Amazon US $5.38
Spoiler:
A heart warming story about a boy and his pet alien. . . .who has been a family pet for generations. . .
240 pp.

Mother Carey's Chickens by Kate Douglas Wiggin
Public domain.
Spoiler:
Quote:
From the pen of Kate Douglas Wiggin (Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm) comes this heartwarming story of Margaret Carey and her four children - or "chickens" as the author often refers to them.

The sudden death of the father of the family results in the drastic reduction of the Careys' income and they must leave their comfortable home in Boston. Nancy Carey, the eldest, recalls a vacation in Maine when they all picnicked in the garden of a big, vacant house that her father loved. She discovers that the house is available, the rent is cheap, and persuades her mother that life in The Yellow House in Beulah, Maine is the perfect place to begin their new life.

Mother Carey is a model of strength and wisdom (think Marmee from Little Women) but her children exhibit all the growing pains: Nancy is brimming with enthusiastic and not always practical plans; Gilbert resents moving to a small town and having his dream of college disappear; Kitty is overly sensitive; and coddled young Peter has to learn to do things for himself. Add to that, prim and snotty cousin Julia and visits from acerbic, critical cousin Ann, and Mother Carey has her hands full!

Soon The Yellow House becomes a welcoming oasis for Beulah's quirky inhabitants. A window into the joys and travails of country life of a century ago, Mother Carey's Chickens delighted everyone including Walt Disney, who adapted it for his 1963 movie Summer Magic starring Hayley Mills as Nancy.
384 pp.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:27 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
This was, again, a tough choice for me. I could easily have voted for virtually all of the nominations, but in keeping with my goal of voting for no more than 1/2 of the nominations, I've been forced to some tough decisions. Which is a good thing, I guess.

I admit, I was rather hoping that a truly iconic Canadian classic would be doing a bit better in the voting at this point, but there's still time, folks.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I admit, I was rather hoping that a truly iconic Canadian classic would be doing a bit better in the voting at this point, but there's still time, folks.
In my case, Anne was a victim of having been too well-loved. There's not much appeal in reading something you've already got memorized. Ditto for A Wrinkle in Time.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The books in the lead are the ones I am least interested in--so what else is new?

Re A Wrinkle in Time, which I read long ago: I have a vague memory of something that might or might not be in this book, which I'll put in spoiler tags just in case it IS in this book (or in this series).

Spoiler:
Is there a scene in which the children witness a crucifixion in which their father is involved? Anything even remotely similar to that?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The books in the lead are the ones I am least interested in--so what else is new?

Re A Wrinkle in Time, which I read long ago: I have a vague memory of something that might or might not be in this book, which I'll put in spoiler tags just in case it IS in this book (or in this series).

Spoiler:
Is there a scene in which the children witness a crucifixion in which their father is involved? Anything even remotely similar to that?
No, not that I remember, but it’s been quite a while since I read it. I don’t know how to use spoiler tags, but I think it’s safe to say he’s missing and they’re very worried about his fate. However, I can see why you might have been left with that impression - so it could very well be this book you are remembering.

(I’m sorry the front-runners are very tempting for you this time.)
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2019, 12:14 AM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's a button for spoiler tags if you use "Go Advanced", but otherwise you can simply put a [ spoiler] [ /spoiler] around the part you want to hide. (Obviously, I added an extra space as the first character after the [ to avoid it being recognized as an actual tag.)
Old 04-09-2019, 01:02 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
The books in the lead are the ones I am least interested in--so what else is new? [...]
Oh. And I thought I might have tempted you with Airman. As far as I remember (it's been a few years now since I read it) it's not fantasy, nor even sci-fi. Alternate history I guess, in that the Saltee Islands carry a kingdom that never actually existed.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
No, not that I remember, but it’s been quite a while since I read it. I don’t know how to use spoiler tags, but I think it’s safe to say he’s missing and they’re very worried about his fate. However, I can see why you might have been left with that impression - so it could very well be this book you are remembering.
My memory is specific on the event, more than just that they are worried about him. Which is not to say that my memory is accurate; I may be remembering an entirely different work, or conflating two books.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Oh. And I thought I might have tempted you with Airman. As far as I remember (it's been a few years now since I read it) it's not fantasy, nor even sci-fi. Alternate history I guess, in that the Saltee Islands carry a kingdom that never actually existed.
I am a stubborn grump who is not easily tempted.

I am glad that all of the books this time around have audiobook versions available at my library.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
My memory is specific on the event, more than just that they are worried about him. Which is not to say that my memory is accurate; I may be remembering an entirely different work, or conflating two books.
I'll PM you. I think you've nailed it with "conflating."
Old 04-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #11
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There's a button for spoiler tags if you use "Go Advanced", but otherwise you can simply put a [ spoiler] [ /spoiler] around the part you want to hide. (Obviously, I added an extra space as the first character after the [ to avoid it being recognized as an actual tag.)
Ah, perfect - thank you Charlie!

( PS - the space wasn’t obvious to me, so thanks for mentioning it

Last edited by Victoria; 04-09-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)

One more vote for Airman and we'll have a three way runoff. Just sayin'.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:51 PM   #13
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
One more vote for Airman and we'll have a three way runoff. Just sayin'.
How noble not to mention that Anne of GG, your own nomination, only needs one more vote to join the race too . Though actually, I’ve been rooting for Airman as well.

Last edited by Victoria; 04-09-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:50 PM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Ah, but Anne just got there after I posted it. Really? I'd love to see Anne get through. It's so, so, so... CANADIAN.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

It's a tie! Run-off poll coming right up.

Here it is.

Last edited by issybird; 04-10-2019 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Add link to poll.