Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2019, 02:01 AM   #1
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Kobo Mini mandatory update

Email from Rakuten Kobo just now:

We have important news for you regarding your Kobo Mini eReader.

Your Kobo Mini eReader requires a mandatory software update by February 28, 2019. To stay aligned with global internet security standards, we are releasing a mandatory software update for all Kobo eReaders. Without this update, your Kobo Mini eReader will no longer be able to exit the setup process after a factory reset is performed.

Rest assured that no items in your Kobo library will be affected; you will continue to have access to all reading material you have purchased or downloaded from Rakuten Kobo.

How to update your Kobo Mini's software
Follow the prompts on your Kobo Mini to install the update before February 28. If you are unable to do this before February 28, you will need to install the update manually using the Kobo Desktop Application for Windows or OSX.
  1. Connect your eReader to your computer using a Micro USB cable and tap Connect.
  2. Open Kobo Desktop on your computer.
  3. If you're not already signed in to your Kobo account, click the Profile icon at the top of your screen and sign in.
  4. Click the Sync icon.
  5. Your eReader will sync and update with the latest software.
  6. Click the Eject button at the top of the screen to disconnect your eReader from your computer.

Read with Kobo with the free Kobo App
You can download the free Kobo App available for iOS and Android smartphones and tablets, and read with Kobo on a device you already own.

If you have any questions or concerns about this message, please contact Kobo Customer Care.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:14 AM   #2
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
“we are releasing a mandatory software update for all Kobo eReaders.”

Does it mean that other models like Kobo Forma and Kobo Aura One are included?

That is one month in the future, don't know why this email was sent to customers so early, now this is a thing in my head and I have to wait for it for a month.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2019, 03:33 AM   #3
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I also own a Kobo Mini, and received the same email... I have three Kobo ereaders registered to my account currently, not sure why I only received it for the Mini though? It is the only one not updated to the latest firmware, though (4.12.12111).
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:11 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I also own a Kobo Mini, and received the same email... I have three Kobo ereaders registered to my account currently, not sure why I only received it for the Mini though? It is the only one not updated to the latest firmware, though (4.12.12111).
It is probably because there hasn't been an official release for the Mini for over four years. There is a fair chance that whatever security patches are needed are already in the released firmware for the other devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:48 AM   #5
marianico
marianico began at the beginning.

Device: No way
Does anyone know what firmware version installs this mandatory update?

I have installed firmware 4.12.12111 and it works without problems in the Mini.
marianico is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2019, 05:28 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianico View Post
Does anyone know what firmware version installs this mandatory update?

I have installed firmware 4.12.12111 and it works without problems in the Mini.
The above email is all that we know. Anything else is speculation.

And having said that...

My guess would be we will see 4.13.something soon. It could just be for the Mini, but, I don't think so. Alternatively, Kobo might make another release a 4.12.x release just for the Mini.

Until it starts turning up we won't know for sure.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:50 AM   #7
Tiago Leite
Tiago Leite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Hello and good morning everyone!

I just received the email to update my Kobo Mini but after downloading the update (just select Sync in my Kobo) it only displays a OK message.

I click on the button and nothing happens... :/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190129_081759.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	169359  
Tiago Leite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:59 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago Leite View Post

I just received the email to update my Kobo Mini but after downloading the update (just select Sync in my Kobo) it only displays a OK message.

What firmware were you on?

And I should have thought to run a firmware check earlier. It looks like they have released 3.19.5761 to the Mini for all affiliates. It has been a few weeks since I checked, but, it was 3.19.5761 for Rakuten and something like 3.4.1 for everything else. That might be the planned final release, or they might be doing the update in two steps.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:06 AM   #9
Tiago Leite

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What firmware were you on?

And I should have thought to run a firmware check earlier. It looks like they have released 3.19.5761 to the Mini for all affiliates. It has been a few weeks since I checked, but, it was 3.19.5761 for Rakuten and something like 3.4.1 for everything else. That might be the planned final release, or they might be doing the update in two steps.
Right now I cannot confirm because I don't have the device next to me, but I think the firmware number is 3.19.5761 (from fnac affiliate).
Old 01-29-2019, 07:26 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This is important information and apparently will effect ALL Kobo readers. I received this email, as well, by the way.

Someone might wish to move this into NEWS. (Or not.)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-29-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:49 AM   #11
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:

Soooooo...

If I'm only reading side-loaded material, why would I risk this?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #12
Tiago Leite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Soooooo...

If I'm only reading side-loaded material, why would I risk this?
Sorry Calenorn, I don't understand your question.

In the email that was sent about updating the Kobo says:

"Follow the prompts on your Kobo Mini to install the update before February 28."

"If you are unable to do this before February 28, you will need to install the update manually using the Kobo Desktop Application for Windows or OSX."

So I just I synchronized my device, like I normally do, and the 1st thing that appeared was the downloading message at the top of the device. When it reaches 100%, appears the box with an OK message. I select it and then the box disappears but nothing happens.
Restarting the device does nothing differently (i.e. it's a normal restart).
When I check when was made the last sync, it says December 30th (it was the last successful sync that I made before this firmware update).

Right now I'm not near the Kobo, but I will try to update via PC. It might bring a different outcome.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:00 AM   #13
the_doc
Connoisseur
the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Hanlin v3; Kobo Mini
I have a Kobo Mini too. I've been using KOReader as my only ereader software for the last two years, but after receiving this same email I decided to launch Nickel and synchronize.
My firmware has not been updated. It still has version 3.19.5761
However I have noticed an ugly change after syncing: All my collections are empty. The only book available through the Collections menu is now a free classic book that is precisely the only book that I got from the Kobo shop. All the sideloaded books have disappeared from the collections.
the_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:00 AM   #14
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry Calenorn, I don't understand your question.

In the email that was sent about updating the Kobo says:

"Follow the prompts on your Kobo Mini to install the update before February 28."

"If you are unable to do this before February 28, you will need to install the update manually using the Kobo Desktop Application for Windows or OSX."

So I just I synchronized my device, like I normally do, and the 1st thing that appeared was the downloading message at the top of the device. When it reaches 100%, appears the box with an OK message. I select it and then the box disappears but nothing happens.
Restarting the device does nothing differently (i.e. it's a normal restart).
When I check when was made the last sync, it says December 30th (it was the last successful sync that I made before this firmware update).

Right now I'm not near the Kobo, but I will try to update via PC. It might bring a different outcome.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought your Mini was stuck on the "OK" screen.

"Nothing happens" is good news, as long as the Mini continued to operate normally. If this update was intended to update security settings I imagine there would be no visible change to the reader's operations.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:03 AM   #15
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_doc View Post
I have a Kobo Mini too. I've been using KOReader as my only ereader software for the last two years, but after receiving this same email I decided to launch Nickel and synchronize.
My firmware has not been updated. It still has version 3.19.5761
However I have noticed an ugly change after syncing: All my collections are empty. The only book available through the Collections menu is now a free classic book that is precisely the only book that I got from the Kobo shop. All the sideloaded books have disappeared from the collections.
Are the collections still there, but empty? Or did they disappear totally?

Are the side-loaded books still on the Mini? Or will they have to be re-loaded?

Is this a sync, or a factory reset?