Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-09-2023, 06:48 PM   #1
Kindler123
Kindler123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 12th gen (PW5)
Cannot find 5.16.2 for PW5 to download

I cannot find 5.16.2 for PW5 to download.

The link suggested in LanguageBrake does not work anymore:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...1th_5.16.2.bin

Anyone has a working link?
Kindler123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 09:27 PM   #2
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Try 5.16.2.1 or 5.16.2.1.1, but not anything higher than that.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2023, 10:08 AM   #3
Kindler123

It appears amazon does not allow downloading any upgrades below current (15.6.5).
The website returns the following error:

```
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>E43HHJ0B7TF2TJCB</RequestId>
<HostId>Kp6eoI+6gIFmA9rXOeQzScp1O+oVN0LwfisL+rvnGB cWTmvaDjOMT2b8MDjhUYLzgtUrlUeEdB0=</HostId>
</Error>
```

I was able to find the update here
Old 12-10-2023, 11:48 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindler123 View Post
It appears amazon does not allow downloading any upgrades below current (15.6.5).
The website returns the following error:

```
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>E43HHJ0B7TF2TJCB</RequestId>
<HostId>Kp6eoI+6gIFmA9rXOeQzScp1O+oVN0LwfisL+rvnGB cWTmvaDjOMT2b8MDjhUYLzgtUrlUeEdB0=</HostId>
</Error>
for a firmware update I would not rust anyone but Amazon for the firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 11:53 AM   #5
Marek
Zealot
Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PB628
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
for a firmware update I would not rust anyone but Amazon for the firmware.
Why not? It's signed, at worst it won't install.
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2023, 12:46 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Why not? It's signed, at worst it won't install.
You don't know if someone is able to do something to it and make it so it can be installed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 12:53 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
We'd actually be super happy if someone were able to do that .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 01:24 PM   #8
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

xD xD
Old 12-10-2023, 02:34 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
We'd actually be super happy if someone were able to do that .

Quote:
413 Request Entity Too Large
Can't upload update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.16.2.1.1.bin

However being signed doesn't mean much.

Indeed being able to install ANY version lower than current installed FW needs a jailbreak currently.

Edit: I have the following all for PW3, except noted.
update_kindle_5.6.1.bin
Update_kindle_2.5.8_B009.bin (DXG int)
Update_kindle_3.4.1_3.4.2_B008.bin (K3)
update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.9.7.bin
update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.10.1.1.bin
update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.10.2.bin
update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.10.3.bin
update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.11.1.1.bin
update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.11.1.1.bin.apri l
(There seem to be two versions of 5.11.1.1?)
Update_kindle_DXG_2.5.8_B009.bin (DXG int)
update_kindle_paperwhite_v2_5.10.3.bin
update_voice_kindle_all_new_paperwhite.bin
update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.16.2.1.1.bin
update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_11th_5.16.5.bin

The K3 needs other versions first if it's too old FW, but upgrades to azw3 instead of mobi only.
The DXG FW sadly adds nothing useful.

I'm guessing the direct links to prior versions are gone and only worked if you on a lower version or jailbroken
So now this is all there is?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

I trust me more than I trust Amazon and if these NOT legitimate, but install I'd deserve a medal etc.

Edit 2:
Actually I have some for Pw1, PW2
PW1: update_kindle_5.4.4.2 and update_kindle_5.6.1.1
PW2: update_kindle_paperwhite_v2_5.6.1.bin

Actually it seems like PW1 & PW2 use the same FW.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-10-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 02:54 PM   #10
mergen3107
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Try 5.16.2.1 or 5.16.2.1.1, but not anything higher than that.
Just checked, indeed 5.16.2 is not there, but 5.16.2.1 and 5.16.2.1.1 are.
Old 12-10-2023, 03:16 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This selection of FW for ancients is still working
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...2BED2975384B60

Basically if buying S/H so as to register and use Download and transfer these models are POINTLESS. No azw3, only mobi/prc and even the DX/DXG are pretty useless for PDF
Quote:
Kindle DX (2nd Generation)

Your serial number starts with B004 download this file.
After your device has fully updated, download and install the Kindle Services Update.

Your serial number starts with B005 download this file.
After your device has fully updated, download and install the Kindle Services Update.

Your serial number starts with B009 download this file.

Kindle (2nd Generation)

Your serial number starts with B002 download this file.
Note: If you have a software version before 2.3, download and install Software Update 2.3 first, and then complete the steps above.

Your serial number starts with B003 download this file.
Note: If you have a software version before 2.3, download and install Software Update 2.3 first, and then complete the steps above.

Kindle (1st Generation)

Download Software Update

Note: If you have a software version before 1.2, download and install Software Update 1.2 first, and then complete the steps above.
The K3 is the oldest to have azw3 and didn't with older FW
Quote:
Kindle Keyboard (3rd Generation)

Your serial number starts with B008 download this file.
Your serial number starts with B006 download this file.
Your serial number starts with B00A download this file.

Note: If your device is on a version older than 3.4.2, please visit Previous Software Updates for Kindle E-Reader for instructions.
I have one, and apart from no front light and no touch it's not bad for a 6″ 800 x 600 eink. Far better than the slightly later DXG (B009).
Note the PW1 has a cruelly small amount of storage.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-10-2023 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2023, 06:32 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Indeed being able to install ANY version lower than current installed FW needs a jailbreak currently.

I have the following all for PW3, except noted.
Well the thread OP has a JB PW5, so pointing out JB required is superfluous.

But posting an MD or SHA or whatever hash for the firmwares you have would be a service.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 06:32 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Just checked, indeed 5.16.2 is not there, but 5.16.2.1 and 5.16.2.1.1 are.
5.16.2 was only released on the Scribe.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 07:07 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Well the thread OP has a JB PW5, so pointing out JB required is superfluous.
Not for other random readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
But posting an MD or SHA or whatever hash for the firmwares you have would be a service.
I only downloaded the files from Amazon's regular page over the years:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW
It never had an MD or SHA or whatever hash?
All I can offer is the file as originally downloaded with possibly the date last modified (I think Linux ext4 preserves a creation date, but file browser doesn't show it). I've variously used Windows & Linux servers and workstations.
update_kindle_5.6.1.bin for PW3 is Nov 2014
update_kindle_5.4.4.2.bin for PW1 is Nov 2014
update_kindle_5.6.1.1.bin for PW1 is Aug 2015
update_kindle_paperwhite_v2_5.6.1.bin for Pw2 is Nov 2014

I might have first got a PW1 in 2013? I did get the DXG maybe after PW2 or PW3 when it was on special offer.
I bought the last PW3 just after the PW4 came out as it was still available and I thought the PW4 I was shown was poorer than my wife's PW3, but I had a Kobo already.

I was given the K3 by the PW4 owner so the FW download date for it was the much later April 2019
Update_kindle_3.4.1_3.4.2_B008.bin
Certainly i'd have renamed some files when accepting download.
Only download for the DXG (B009) I see is the current one on Amazon, but it was August 2016. Likely not long after it was bought, though I might have bought it in April 2014. Sold cheap as obsolete stock by Amazon. Their University program for DX/DXG was a failure.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-10-2023 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2023, 07:21 PM   #15
Kindler123

@mergen, can you provide a link that works to download 5.16.2.1 and 5.16.2.1.1 for PW5 (11th generation PW), please? I could not make it work.