Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-25-2019, 10:17 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sigil-0.9.15 Beta Released

Sigil-0.9.15

For the impatient, the installer files (and source) can be found as assets at the bottom of the Github Release page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Beta Release of Sigil ported to QtWebEngine to replace QtWebKit

New Features
  • ported to use QtWebEngine (based on Chromium) to replace QtWebkit
  • QtWebEngine plugs many major memory leaks. Memory footprint should stay low to moderate.
  • QtWebEngine has ongoing security and support patches from Qt/Google/Chromium
  • removes the broken/deprecated BookView Editor that relied on QtWebKit
  • created PageEdit app (that uses QtWebEngine) that replaces much BookView functionality (see https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/PageEdit)
  • allows the user to control use of javascript and remote access by epubs when editingto improve overall security
  • adds action to launch one preferred external xhtml editor via shortcut or icon (can be used to fast launch PageEdit app or any other xhtml open-with editor)
  • adds 5 more plugin quicklaunch buttons to main menu for a total of 10 (with all new icons! Thanks so much Becky!)

It also includes all of the fixes and updates from Sigil-0.9.14.

Be aware that Sigil-0.9.15 still enforces the need for epub3 to have and support an NCX so that it generates as backward a compatible epub as possible. This may be relaxed in future releases.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please check the Sigil Wiki for important Sigil support links, additional resource downloads, and platform-specific trouble-shooting tips/requirements.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:21 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lets try and focus on things that might be broken, or things that might not be working right, or things that might have been lost in the shuffle.

There'll be plenty of time for tweaks, appearances, and ideas for improvement once we have the majority of the kinks worked out from the transition from WebKit to WebEngine.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Also for those of you who frequently used the now removed BookView mode of Sigil there is a new program called PageEdit.

PageEdit-0.7.0 Beta Release

Page Edit is a single page visual XHTML editor based on Sigil's Deprecated BookView. It uses QtWebEngine instead of QtWebKit. It replaces much of what Sigil's BookView could do plus it integrates the QtWebEngine Inspector which allows you to see the result of your visual editing live, and make changes via the Inspector interface itself.

PageEdit can also be easily launched from Sigil (any recent version) with its Open-With functionality or set as Sigil's preferred external xhtml editor for fast launch by shortcut or icon.

Please remember that used as an External Editor for Sigil, requires that the user saves the file before exiting PageEdit and before further editing in CodeView to prevent loss of text/code.

The Windows installer for PageEdit is currently a self-extracting zipfile. Double-clicking it will cause it to extract its contents to a folder named PageEdit. Put the PageEdit folder anywhere you like. The PageEdit.exe file can be found in that folder. PageEdit requires that the VC++ 2017 64-bit runtime is installed (but does not include or install it itself). If Sigil-0.9.15 (or higher) is already installed, this will already be taken care of. Otherwise, you're free to download and install the 2017 runtime yourself if you don't use Sigil.

This release has 7 assets:

PageEdit-0.7.0-CHECKSUMS.sha256.txt
PageEdit-0.7.0-Mac-Package.dmg
PageEdit-0.7.0.tar.gz.sig
PageEdit-0.7.0.zip.sig
PageEdit_0.7.0_x64.exe
Source code (zip)
Source code (tar.gz)
Visit the release page to download them here:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/PageE...ases/tag/0.7.0

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-26-2019 at 10:15 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:12 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Windows Install did an abrupt restart

Upgrade 64 bit 0.9.13 to 0.9.15 on Windows 10 Pro Version 1809

No harm done... but....
  • Immediately after installing the 2017 C++ runtime library the install initiated a system restart
  • I managed to cancel it from the grey screen, I didn't catch what it was waiting for as I wanted to cancel toot sweet
  • When I got back to the desktop a popup was there asking if I wanted to do a restart now or do it myself later.
  • I responded with No I'll restart later.
  • I had a look to see what was still running, almost everything I had running had been closed including the Sigil installer - the exception was the C++ runtime installer, which was waiting for a response to the "Do you want to do a restart now or later" popup message - but something had pre-empted it.

I think someone might have had something similar with the 0.9.14 release, which I skipped.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-26-2019 at 01:34 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:35 AM   #5
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Wow, 0.9.15 already!

So far so good on my Mac. The only quirk is it's a little difficult to grab the scroll bar in the Preview pane. Most of the time when I'm trying to grab the scroll bar it ends up highlighting text instead. I've tried enlarging the width of the Preview pane and undocking it, but that hasn't made a difference. No problem grabbing the scroll bar in any other pane (Book Browser, Code View, Table of Contents). Just Preview.

Thanks!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:50 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Upgrade 64 bit 0.9.13 to 0.9.15 on Windows 10 Pro Version 1809

No harm done... but....
  • Immediately after installing the 2017 C++ runtime library the install initiated a system restart
  • I managed to cancel it from the grey screen, I didn't catch what it was waiting for as I wanted to cancel toot sweet
  • When I got back to the desktop a popup was there asking if I wanted to do a restart now or do it myself later.
  • I responded with No I'll restart later.
  • I had a look to see what was still running, almost everything I had running had been closed including the Sigil installer - the exception was the C++ runtime installer, which was waiting for a response to the "Do you want to do a restart now or later" popup message - but something had pre-empted it.

I think someone might have had something similar with the 0.9.14 release, which I skipped.

BR
I updated 9.1.14 to 9.1.15 on 6 machines (1 physical Windows 10, 4 virtual Windows 10 and 1 Virtual Mac OSX Mojave). No unexpected restarts but then I have so many version of the C++ runtimes installed due to other programs, that installer might not have run on any of the Win10 machines.

OTOH, epubcheck still complains that there is no dcterms:modified element in content.opf and that nav.xhtml does not have a title child element for the head element.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	default_epub3_errors.png
Views:	224
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	172113  

Last edited by DNSB; 06-26-2019 at 01:56 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:15 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
No unexpected restarts but then I have so many version of the C++ runtimes installed due to other programs, that installer might not have run on any of the Win10 machines.
I also had no restart problems on my 64bit 1903 Windows 10 machine.

Quote:
OTOH, epubcheck still complains that there is no dcterms:modified element in content.opf and that nav.xhtml does not have a title child element for the head element.
IMHO, both are cosmetic issues. dcterms:modified won't be added to content.opf until you save the file and the title element will be added once you generate the NAV.

Last edited by Doitsu; 06-26-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:15 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
The only quirk is it's a little difficult to grab the scroll bar in the Preview pane.
The scroll bar is noticeable skinnier on Windows. Can't recall what it was like before as I never use them.

Quote:
I updated 9.1.14 to 9.1.15 on 6 machines (1 physical Windows 10, 4 virtual Windows 10 and 1 Virtual Mac OSX Mojave). No unexpected restarts but then I have so many version of the C++ runtimes installed due to other programs, that installer might not have run on any of the Win10 machines.
Have a look in CP->Programs and Features, sort on install date to see if Sigil 0.9.14 and C++ 2017 are adjacent - I wish MS would put time that column.

Added : Perhaps those who previously installed 0.9.14 got the 2017 C++ runtimes then, or by other means. I got its install dialogue when Sigil installer finished copying files etc, but before the Sigil installer terminated. The abrupt restart happened after the C++ runtime had done its copying (i.e. the progress bar was full on green)

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-26-2019 at 02:29 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:24 AM   #9
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
... The only quirk is it's a little difficult to grab the scroll bar in the Preview pane ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
... The scroll bar is noticeable skinnier on Windows. Can't recall what it was like before as I never use them ...
Hovering over the scroll bar should make it get wider, and then you can grab it — except it's finicky in the Preview pane. When I try to grab and move it, it keeps resulting in highlighted text for me. But the scroll bar works fine in Code View and other panes.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'll investigate the parameters used to passively run the vc++ installer and see if anything has drastically changed for the 2017 version. I know there's a /norestart flag, but that's never been used in the past because an automatic, unprompted reboot was never even a possibility. If microsoft has added the possibility of an automatic, unprompted reboot to the vc++ 2017 installer, it's news to me (and would be pretty sneaky). The /norestart flag is typically used to avoid the "You need to reboot" prompt. Something I never bothered to suppress in the past because a) a reboot might actually be necessary (and choice is good), and b) there was no such thing as an automatic unprompted reboot to worry about.

I'll investigate (as well as monitor how many experience any unprompted reboots).
Old 06-26-2019, 09:27 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Hopefully this commit will take care of any auto-rebooting by the vc++ 2017 redist in future Sigil installers. The Sigil installer may still prompt for a reboot after it completes (if the vc++ redist determines it's necessary), but the user can choose to do so or not at that point.

I'd update the Sigil 0.9.15 beta release with the new installer, but it actually involved a change to Sigil's codebase, so it will have to wait until the next release. Hopefully it won't happen to very many people. Auto-rebooting is the epitome of uncool, and I had no idea their vc++ 2017 redistributable was prone to doing it. My apologies.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
W10 x64
I did notice some of my menubars changed locations. (I had vertical and horizontal bars). Not bad, just a warning to users to backup their settings befor installing.

Faster on my 'core duo'
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:00 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Faster on my 'core duo'
That has been a fairly common theme in our testing. Thanks for confirming.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #14
Fritz571
Fritz571 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Problem with Sigil 9.15

I installed v9.15 and Sigil opens maximized and cannot be resized.
Tried uninstalling Sigil and reinstalled v9.14 but the problem remains now with v9.14.
Fritz571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz571 View Post
I installed v9.15 and Sigil opens maximized and cannot be resized.
Tried uninstalling Sigil and reinstalled v9.14 but the problem remains now with v9.14.
What platform?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote