Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #28351
RobertLCollins
Groupie
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Over the past few days I re-read Expecting Someone Taller and Who's Afraid of Beowulf, both by Tom Holt. I read them when they first came out. I decided to re-read them to get into a good frame of mind for a project I've started. Both are light fantasy with classic myths meeting the modern world. The first is about the Ring Cycle, while the other is about Viking Sagas. They both have sudden endings, though I still feel that the one in the first novel just feels better. They're both fun reads, though not as funny as I remembered.
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:26 AM   #28352
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Which was most enjoyable. Now onto Mad Ship, the second in the series.
Which ends in the middle of the action, so I went straight onto the conclusion in Ship of Destiny. A very satisfying conclusion. I'm looking forward to reading the Rain Wild chronicles once I've got them all, which is the series that follows this one.

Next up: The History of the Hobbit by John Rateliff. It looks fascinating.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:49 AM   #28353
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I finished Cursed Moon, the second of Jaye Wells’s “Prospero’s War” urban fantasy police procedural series, and am not sure what to start next. I have the third book, but haven’t cleaned its formatting to my standards and don’t really feel like doing so at the moment.

What I really ought to do, since I’m trying to go easy on my big laptop due to some damage to its case, is fire that up and shift my Calibre library over to my main external drive, so I can use my netbook to do some of that editing and conversion work. I’ve even moved a powered USB 3.0 hub into position, so I can actually use that drive and an external Blu-ray drive on the netbook, but I need to set aside that chunk of time and make the transfer happen.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #28354
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The History of the Hobbit by John Rateliff. It looks fascinating.
It is fascinating. I'm astonished at how fully formed the story is even in the very first manuscript pages.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:20 AM   #28355
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dilemma resolved! I’ve got treebook copies of three books in Casey Daniels’s Pepper Martin paranormal mystery series right here. No formatting touchups needed because paper, and they’ve always been fun reads.

(Series premise: The fashionable main character takes a job as a cemetery tour guide, hits her head on a tombstone, and comes to with the ability to interact with ghosts. Word gets out in the afterlife, and the deceased start seeking her out to take care of their unfinished business… like finding their killers.)

Next up: A Hard Day’s Fright, about a woman who died after a Beatles concert in 1966 and needs someone to find and properly inter her body.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #28356
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia. It a story about a mechanical girl who is also an alchemist.

Next up is All These Worlds, the third Bobiverse book. Meanwhile I'm reading the dead-tree format The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls by Emilie Autumn and listening to The Legacy of Kings by C. S. Friedman.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #28357
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Finished up Star Trek: The Captain's Oath by Christopher L. Bennett. Next up is Foe by Iain Reid. Another of those Kobo daily deals.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #28358
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Dilemma resolved! I’ve got treebook copies of three books in Casey Daniels’s Pepper Martin paranormal mystery series right here. No formatting touchups needed because paper, and they’ve always been fun reads.

(Series premise: The fashionable main character takes a job as a cemetery tour guide, hits her head on a tombstone, and comes to with the ability to interact with ghosts. Word gets out in the afterlife, and the deceased start seeking her out to take care of their unfinished business… like finding their killers.)
That sounds like fun. I bought the first in the series to try. Because it's not like I have dozen of other first-in-series waiting for me to try out, LOL.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:33 PM   #28359
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next, a library book, The Face in the Frost by John Bellairs.
This fantasy was most enjoyable. It's not your typical warring wizards but more of a searching journey to stop an unseen evil. The author's writing is top-notch. Witty, concise but with fascinating descriptions. Rated B+ [4 stars].

Next is undecided but will be a library book.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:46 AM   #28360
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Just finished up The Natural by Bernard Malamud for the July New Leaf Book Club selection. This book as the first distinction of being the first book read entirely before the hour of 7am as I have started reading with my morning coffee every day before I leave for work.

I enjoyed the story, though predictable in places, as a baseball narrative.

Reading CJ Sansom's Lamentation on my Kobo and listening to Carson McCullers The Heart is a Lonely Hunter on my commutes.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #28361
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
That sounds like fun. I bought the first in the series to try. Because it's not like I have dozen of other first-in-series waiting for me to try out, LOL.
I’m a bit further along; as I recall, these are books 7-9.

Finished A Hard Day’s Fright, so now it’s time for a road trip in Wild Wild Death, in which one of Pepper’s exes has been kidnapped and held for ransom. What do they want? The bones of a Wild West show star who died in her city and was interred at her graveyard, and naturally the ghost comes along for the ride.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:32 PM   #28362
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Body in the Castle Well by Martin Walker another cozy mystery featuring Chief Bruno and it was a typically good and cozy read.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #28363
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I finished Foe by Iain Reid. Turned out to be a bit sci fi-ish. Not bad.

Now starting Memory Man by David Baldacci. I bought this whole series when they were Kobo daily deals. Better start it!
Old 06-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #28364
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I finished Foe by Iain Reid. Turned out to be a bit sci fi-ish. Not bad.

Now starting Memory Man by David Baldacci. I bought this whole series when they were Kobo daily deals. Better start it!
Memory Man marks the beginning of the end for Baldacci. The sequels are better, but none stays with you after reading.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #28365
PurpleStar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Memory Man marks the beginning of the end for Baldacci. The sequels are better, but none stays with you after reading.
Well I'm hooked after two chapters! Great so far.