Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
yacolioi
yacolioi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Unresponsive screen and device not detected by computer

I searched the whole internet with this problem and I only found one person with the exact same problem that I have.

This is the post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3329429

I did the same tests in the post, the device is detected from linux, but I can't mount it to perform the factory reset. Tried charging it for days, the battery works but the touchscreen doesn't.

Is there a way to create the DO_FACTORY_RESET from linux, knowing that I couldn't mount it, but is being detected as the post I referenced explains?

Thank you very much.
yacolioi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yacolioi View Post
I searched the whole internet with this problem and I only found one person with the exact same problem that I have.

This is the post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3329429

I did the same tests in the post, the device is detected from linux, but I can't mount it to perform the factory reset. Tried charging it for days, the battery works but the touchscreen doesn't.

Is there a way to create the DO_FACTORY_RESET from linux, knowing that I couldn't mount it, but is being detected as the post I referenced explains?

Thank you very much.
How are your mechanical and electronic skills? If you are charging it for days and seeing no change it sounds like either the battery is defective or there is a firmware or hardware issue. If you have the skills and tools to do so, search for the thread on opening up a voyage. Once open with the proper serial hardware you should be able to access the serial port from linux and see from the console messages what the problems are. If, as you think, the touch screen is defective then you will need to open the unit anyway to replace it.

If this is beyond your skill level and available tools you will need to find someone to help or sell the unit as is to someone else to work on.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #3
yacolioi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
How are your mechanical and electronic skills? If you are charging it for days and seeing no change it sounds like either the battery is defective or there is a firmware or hardware issue. If you have the skills and tools to do so, search for the thread on opening up a voyage. Once open with the proper serial hardware you should be able to access the serial port from linux and see from the console messages what the problems are. If, as you think, the touch screen is defective then you will need to open the unit anyway to replace it.

If this is beyond your skill level and available tools you will need to find someone to help or sell the unit as is to someone else to work on.

Dave
Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.

I don't have mechanical nor electronic skills

And I'm from Argentina, I don't know anyone that can help me with this problem, not from where I am, maybe if I go to Buenos Aires I can find some phone service that could take a look at it, but it's kinda hard.

I think it could be a software problem, but I don't know how to access the storage to create the factory reset file.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yacolioi View Post
Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.

I don't have mechanical nor electronic skills

And I'm from Argentina, I don't know anyone that can help me with this problem, not from where I am, maybe if I go to Buenos Aires I can find some phone service that could take a look at it, but it's kinda hard.

I think it could be a software problem, but I don't know how to access the storage to create the factory reset file.
Unfortunately that will not be possible without mounting as an attached storage device. If holding the power button to do a reset doesn't change things and charging the battery fully makes no difference there isn't much to be done without opening the unit that I am aware of. Perhaps someone else will chime in here.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:50 PM   #5
yacolioi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Unfortunately that will not be possible without mounting as an attached storage device. If holding the power button to do a reset doesn't change things and charging the battery fully makes no difference there isn't much to be done without opening the unit that I am aware of. Perhaps someone else will chime in here.

Dave
Thank you Dave! Let's hope someone can find a solution, I'm sad because I purchased this kindle and only worked for like 2 months. I bought it used, but worked flawlessly for that time.