Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What will be our youthful perusal in May?
The Go-Between by L.P. Hartley 4 40.00%
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery 5 50.00%
Airman by Eoin Colfer 5 50.00%
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis 4 40.00%
A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L’Engle 6 60.00%
One Night in Winter by Simon Sebag Montefiore 4 40.00%
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman 6 60.00%
The Star Beast by Robert Heinlein 4 40.00%
Mother Carey's Chickens by Kate Douglas Wiggin 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #16
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Ah, but Anne just got there after I posted it. Really? I'd love to see Anne get through. It's so, so, so... CANADIAN.
Phooey. I would have voted for Anne and made it a three-way tie, but I missed the deadline.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
That's why I've stopped waiting till near the end! Ah, well. I'll still read it, though it would have been good to get other's opinions and thoughts on it in a full discussion.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #18
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's why I've stopped waiting till near the end! Ah, well. I'll still read it, though it would have been good to get other's opinions and thoughts on it in a full discussion.
I always wait till the end. I like to see how the votes are going.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
I plan to listen to the audiobook, especially after astrangerhere said that there is a recent recording by Rachel McAdams. You could start a thread in the Reading Recommendation forum for discussion with others. I would participate in a group read.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not a bad idea, Bookworm_Girl. Can we get a show of hands here? Just to see if we've got anyone else interested?
Old 04-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #21
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Not a bad idea, Bookworm_Girl. Can we get a show of hands here? Just to see if we've got anyone else interested?
Depends on the timing.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:29 AM   #22
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I redeemed a credit today at Audible so I’m ready to listen anytime.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:33 AM   #23
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
How noble not to mention that Anne of GG, your own nomination, only needs one more vote to join the race too . Though actually, I’ve been rooting for Airman as well.
Airman is a good example of a book I’ve never heard of that the book club has exposed me to. I am planning to read this one at sometime in the future too.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:44 AM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I redeemed a credit today at Audible so I’m ready to listen anytime.
Which narrator did you choose? I haven't had a chance to listen to any of them yet, but none were in my list of "favourite" narrators, so I'll need to listen to the samples for a bit to decide which one I want to use a credit on. Though I won't have any credits in the US store until the end of the month, so I'm going to have to wait until then, at least.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:57 AM   #25
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Which narrator did you choose? I haven't had a chance to listen to any of them yet, but none were in my list of "favourite" narrators, so I'll need to listen to the samples for a bit to decide which one I want to use a credit on. Though I won't have any credits in the US store until the end of the month, so I'm going to have to wait until then, at least.
I did the Rachel McAdams version that astrangerhere highlighted because I love her as an actress. It may not be the highest quality compared to a professional narrator but I think I’ll enjoy it anyway. If it’s that bad I still have my Bantam Classics boxset of the first three books from when I was a kid. The cover has a photo and blurb featuring the CBC TV production starring Megan Fellows and Colleen Dewhurst. I vaguely recall the miniseries back then. I know I read it because the spines are creased, but I don’t remember these books. I assume that the memories will come back when I reread!
Old 04-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #26
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
People might have had the Shelley Frasier narration in their Tantor accounts; it was a freebie from them one month.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #27
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
People might have had the Shelley Frasier narration in their Tantor accounts; it was a freebie from them one month.
Oh my, that makes four versions for me, and counting. The Colleen Winton version was a SYNC freebie; the Rachel McAdams version must have been an Audible freebie, because I have that one as well. And the Kate Burton version was an RH freebie.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #28
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Airman is a good example of a book I’ve never heard of that the book club has exposed me to. I am planning to read this one at sometime in the future too.
I plan to read it too. And that’s been my experience too - books I know I wouldn’t have come across otherwise.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote