Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 09-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #61
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Version 5 is now available with numerous corrections and some nicer looking formatting.

Enjoy!
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #62
jutt69
jutt69 began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Sensation
Many, many thanks for this!
jutt69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #63
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I must have downloaded the complete works and collaborations of Lovecraft somewhere around here and I kindly thank the uploader.
However, as I am currently reading it, I noticed how the texts are all in British English. Lovecraft is if I am not mistaken (or rather was) an American author so did he write using the British spelling or was it changed to British spelling for whatever reason ?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #64
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I guess he used British spelling (and many oldish and Latin-influenced words) deliberately. Have a look here, it says:

Take a gulp any time that Lovecraft: [...] uses the "British" spelling of any word, such as "colour" or "favour".
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #65
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes it does seem a bit odd, and I queried it myself when I started creating these volumes.

As Jellby says, he used a lot of British English and I'm trying to do the same and use British English versions as my source copy for these.

If any of his works ended up with American English as the original version, then I'll modify mine to match. Until then, it British English in these books.
Advert
Old 10-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #66
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Device: none
A remarkable contribution. It has changed my opinion of H. P. Lovecraft for the better. And the truth is, not being a fan of this particular genre, I probably never would have bothered buying a printed version! I am looking forward to reading the other three volumes (Essays, Poetry, Juvenilia).

As to checking Lovecraft's original spelling as discussed above, my impression is that none of this material was ever published in book form during the author's lifetime... just cheap magazines, so that even if you managed to get a hold of copies of any of those... the spelling would probably just reflect the editor's personal choice (or his secretary's) and what his readers would have expected... not very reliable... For authenticity's sake I suppose you would need access to the author's manuscripts—either typed or handwritten...?
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #67
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I just recommended ghostyjack's versions of Lovecraft yet again -- in this case, to a friend at work -- as I've done whenever anyone has asked which free version to get. Sterling work, in my incredibly humble opinion.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #68
JimmyH
Enthusiast
JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O, Droid RazrMaxxHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I just recommended ghostyjack's versions of Lovecraft yet again -- in this case, to a friend at work -- as I've done whenever anyone has asked which free version to get. Sterling work, in my incredibly humble opinion.
+1!! Really grateful to have it.
JimmyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #69
ghostyjack
Guru

Hi guys.

Thanks for the support on this, it's gratifying to know that people still like my books.

I must apologise to Jellby, as he gave me a list of corrections and tidy-up tips well over a year ago and I have yet to release an updated version. Sorry.

I started a new job at the end of last year and I now have to travel to work to a different city every day by train, by the time I get home it is very late and I never want to get on my PC, also the weekend is now when I rest as work is hard, tiring and stressful. This all means that I rarely get time to work on my books or even get on the web, so I've been absent from here for most of the year.

I'm on leave today, hence why I've been able to jump on the PC and check out the site and seen these comments.

I'm hoping to get new versions of all my Lovecraft out soon with Jellby's comments. I'm also looking to restructure the layout of them and will probably put them all into publication or when-written order.

I'm also thinking on having new covers for them, but as I'm not much good with graphical design, so that may not happen.

I'm also going to start to look to see if any more of the stories have any graphics in them and see if I can find them and get them included as well.

Once all this is done, unless anyone finds missing material or any corrections, I'll consider these finished and then get back to doing my Jack London books.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #70
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Sounds like you're pretty busy ghostlyjack. I'm sure we all appreciate the work that you do in fact find the time to do on books that you've uploaded.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:52 PM   #71
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Here's a version of the epub with all of the stories in the order in which Lovecraft wrote them, according to Wikipedia. (No other changes have been made.) I wanted to read them in this order and thought others might want to as well. This is based on ver. 5 of the epub.

Again, huge thanks to ghostyjack for doing all the hard work necessary to put this together in the first place!
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:34 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is not a complete collection or should not be. There is one story co-written wth someone else that's no allowed to be given out for free.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:59 PM   #73
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is not a complete collection or should not be. There is one story co-written wth someone else that's no allowed to be given out for free.
JSWolf you are the most doggedly persistent poster I have ever met on the internet haha

Valloric, thanks for the re-shuffle. I'm not sure that ghostyjack's ambition to put the stories in Mythos order is realizable as I'm doubtful that there is enough internal consistency to figure out a definitive order.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:59 AM   #74
Oin
Oin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Uh, I can't seem to be able to download the Lovecraft, H.P.: The Complete Collaborations. V5. 11 September 2011... Get error about permissions. Cannot even reply in its thread, also error about permissions. Is something broken?
Oin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:31 AM   #75
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oin View Post
Uh, I can't seem to be able to download the Lovecraft, H.P.: The Complete Collaborations. V5. 11 September 2011... Get error about permissions. Cannot even reply in its thread, also error about permissions. Is something broken?
Welcome to MR, Oin.

The collaborations thread was moved to the offline section for copyright reasons. Hence, the book can't be downloaded.

Next time you have a question like this, it would be better to ask in the Feedback forum and provide a link to the thread you are talking about. (It took me a while to figure out that you were not talking about the book in this thread.)
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote