Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 09-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #1
artbum
artbum began at the beginning.

Device: Pages, Calibre
Calibre Editor: return not to make new paragraph?

Sorry for the clunky title. What I was trying to say:

In the Editor, I hit Beautify so I can see the code of course. Epub file generated from Apple Pages.

But now it adds paragraphs every time there's a return. It's taking me forever to delete all of those unwanted blank paragraphs and I have to do it to 2 more books. Yes, I added a blank paragraph in Pages to separate the paragraphs with white space.

So is there a setting in the Calibre Editor preferences or something that says "Return makes new paragraphs" that I can turn off?
artbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:43 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Blank lines in Code view are not 'Paragraphs'. (They just make it easier to read code. The render engines ignore those because a Paragraph is always between a tag pair. Another thing render engines tend to ignore is repeated spaces (there were 5 between those words)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2020, 07:59 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbum View Post
Sorry for the clunky title. What I was trying to say:

In the Editor, I hit Beautify so I can see the code of course. Epub file generated from Apple Pages.

But now it adds paragraphs every time there's a return. It's taking me forever to delete all of those unwanted blank paragraphs and I have to do it to 2 more books. Yes, I added a blank paragraph in Pages to separate the paragraphs with white space.

So is there a setting in the Calibre Editor preferences or something that says "Return makes new paragraphs" that I can turn off?
If you want to get rid of the extra line feeds that Beautify adds then this regex search and replace will do it in a couple of seconds.

search:
Code:
\n\n  <(.*?) class=
replace:
Code:
\n<\1 class=
Set mode to Regex--All text Filles
Them press Replace All

bernie

P.S.
The return does not add a paragraph it adds a line feed.
Code:
\n
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #4
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Yes, I added a blank paragraph in Pages to separate the paragraphs with white space.
So are you seeing the blank paragraphs as something like <p class="whatever"></p> ? In other words, real but empty paragraphs, not just blank lines, in code view?

If that is the case, just search for the <p class="whatever"></p> string and replace with nothing. Use replace all, all text files, to do it in a second.

The downside might be, if you also used simple, multiple returns to make scene breaks, it will clobber those as well. If that is the case, find the scene breaks first and put something else there, like <p class="whatever">***</p>
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:37 PM   #5
artbum

ok yeah, they are not technically paragraphs but more like extra white space between actual paragraph tags. I did a combination of brute force delete and using the find/replace. thanks
Advert
Old 09-22-2020, 03:52 AM   #6
artbum

Ok solved it.

Extra line spaces between paragraphs. Changed white-space:normal instead of “pre-wrap” as it was before in every xhtml page. Then class margin-top to 1.5em.

Now no matter how many times I hit return, it won't add breaks (and white space) between paragraphs in the preview and more importantly, in Google Play Books. (looked fine in Apple iBooks).

btw I had said that "I added a blank paragraph in Pages to separate the paragraphs with white space." But that was an early file, the latest I was using had no extra returns. I had done it the right way: Space after paragraph. And it was still adding white space. But now I know why.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:20 AM   #7
artbum

oh. Just realized I can just triple-click to delete the whole line:

<div class="body" style="white-spacere-wrap; line-break:strict;">

I guess it was added by Pages.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:26 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
oh. Just realized I can just triple-click to delete the whole line:

Code:
<div class="body" style="white-space:pre-wrap; line-break:strict;">

I guess it was added by Pages.
One very important note. Pages is garbage, Don't use it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
paragraphs