Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #16
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
The whole site is off, not only that link. Construction time off?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
The link was up and running when Barcey first posted it. I was reading the specs on the Opus.

WDE.
I presume so, unless Barcey just typed in an URL to fool us

(too bad the google cache is from july 21st...)

Last edited by Sweetpea; 07-26-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #18
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
Those of you who have seen the elusive website, is the Opus available to buy yet? I love how it looks!
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
JSWolf, what did bookeen do to you to deserve sush a harted? You don't even own a Cybook !!

Firefox issue ?
Weird. At work we get yelled at for not testing our stuff with IE. .

Edit : na, no go with IE either. They are probably working on fixing the mess. And updating on saturday night is a weird choise indead.
I've tried the site with both Firefox 3.5.1 and Internet Explorer 7 and while both do not display the site right away, Firefox gives a more comprehensive description of what the problem might be.

Quote:
Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.
As for a hatred of Bookeen, no, I do not hate them. But I do see lots of issues with them that can easily be fixed. The website is yet another problem. I know problems happen. But Bookeen is a great one for not letting customers know what is going on. And as for the website, all an employee has to do is visit the website and if need be, get someone there to put up a page that tells there is a problem that is being worked on. If such a simple problem to detect can get past Bookeen can you imagine what might get past them in a firmware update?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yep, i also think that bookeen's main problem is them being understaffed, not incompetence.
How do you explain the website? All it takes is one employee to go there to see there isa problem and one employee to put up a notice page on the site to say it's not working.
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #21
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How do you explain the website? All it takes is one employee to go there to see there isa problem and one employee to put up a notice page on the site to say it's not working.
It is sunday- they probably aren't working. I am sure they will fix it on monday...

cheers,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #22
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I don't think I've ever seen him say something positive about anything
I *OWN* several Cybooks and I'm willing to negatively critique Bookeen's *TOTAL INCOMPETENCE* in maintaining their website!

And yes, their website is down, Down, DOWN!!! (11:04 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, July 26, 2009)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #23
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaas View Post
It is sunday- they probably aren't working. I am sure they will fix it on monday...

cheers,

kaas
The French sure have "strange" work ethics. I've worked for too many companies where, when a computer or website problem struck on the weekend, I was expected to *FIX IT* - even if it meant I worked 48 hours straight through the weekend! Of course, this all happened in the US.

Derek
Old 07-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

cheers,

kaas
But it was working and then it wasn't. So someone had to have made some sort of change to it.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #25
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
The French sure have "strange" work ethics. I've worked for too many companies where, when a computer or website problem struck on the weekend, I was expected to *FIX IT* - even if it meant I worked 48 hours straight through the weekend! Of course, this all happened in the US.

Derek
True for larger companies or when business critical applications are involved, but for a smaller company usually not as important...

cheers,

kaas
Old 07-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #26
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Well that's disappointing to say the least. I guess the web site update failed.

I went to check for the firmware update last night and they had a new page up with the Cybook OPUS on it. When I logged on to download the firmware it said Firmware 2.0 instead of 1.3 but the link wasn't working. I just got back from playing golf and thought I'd check how the firmware update was working for people and the site isn't up.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #27
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
True for larger companies or when business critical applications are involved, but for a smaller company usually not as important...

cheers,

kaas
Ummm... Bookeen *IS* attempting to market it's product as if it is a 'large' company. After all, it's attempting to sell throughout Europe *and* the rest of the world. (Or do you really believe that an average American is just going to 'pop over the Pond' simply to shell out $300+ bucks for an ebook reader???)

Thus, Bookeen's lack of prudent and proper website handling is yet one more indication that it doesn't really care about it's customers.

Like I said, it appears to be a 'French' thing.
Derek
Old 07-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #28
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
I suppose that's why some forever remain small companies, or go out of business....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #29
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
How do you explain the website?
t's week end, and they didn't noticed the problem. You don't spend you week-end checking everything is OK at work right ? Though it' s a good idea to do so after will-have-unexpected-effect update.

Quote:
But it was working and then it wasn't. So someone had to have made some sort of change to it.
Yeah, but then said chance can cause trouble that will not show at first. Things works before they broke.

Quote:
Our company is French, and we DO have people supposed to fix the servers if they crash on week end... Not a French thing, a small company thing.
Though yeah, no one will work 48 hours straight here. I wouldn't be surprised for it to be against the law, actually.

And stop these stupid words about frenchs, it's insulting !

Last edited by EowynCarter; 07-26-2009 at 03:46 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #30
kaas
Muncher of ebooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Like I said, it appears to be a 'French' thing.
Derek
I actually like France and the French. Been there quite a few times and loved it - especially the cheese

Let's not generalise here- I am unhappy with bookeen, but I do not see the website error as that critical.

Have a great sunday,

kaas