Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-09-2018, 06:55 PM   #1
p.iotrix
p.iotrix began at the beginning.

Device: none
KT3 and active content

Is it possible to have active content - specifically any reasonable chess game
on KT3 ?. If so I'll consider jailbraking it to the desired firmware.

longer story

I got KT3 for my son. I decided to go with KT3 because from the past I remembered that that Kindle possible to jail brake and have best community support. Apparently I was not aware how much Amazon became anti consumer monster

I would consider to jailbrake it if will support active content and some board games - most importantly chess

Side question. Is there any possibility to add Hebrew and Polish language - just for the purpose of searching in pdf documents.

Ps.
I am PC technician with over 20 years of experience. but I am basically green with e- readers.
What surprised me that Amazon in the case of Kindle became very much owner of the of the the devices it sold to customers and decides for them what and how they will use it. As for today it looks as it has the same or worse patronizing approach that Microsoft has in PC market.
BTW as I got my unit with Special Offers I was amazed that while I was requesting the removal of (as I live overseas) it with the Amazon representative via Chat support. He/She was able to do it - ie turn off it without any my involvement.
Basically when the network is connected the Amazon has always full control over your Kindle. Sometimes is convenient but generally it is very scary and not healthy situation. It is like windows computer would come with preinstalled Team Viewer can you can not turn of and only MS has the access to it.

Thanks a lot everybody who is a part mobileread and tries to make e-readers more sensible .
p.iotrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Active content is disabled on all firmware's for that device.
Which does not mean you can not have after-market add-ins, just not ac support.

What firmware version?
That makes a big difference.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #3
p.iotrix
p.iotrix began at the beginning.

Device: none
knc1 Thanks a lot for your reply!

My current firmware is 5.9.2.0.1 (3262870017). But I am willing to change it or swap it for a different unit that will enable the support for the after market add-ins. Whichever firmware is optimal for a broad range of add-ins. What is important for me currently is chess game. As I don't have clue in the subject of add-ins. What is available, how it works where to find the chess.
etc. Could you send me some links that deal with the subject.
p.iotrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Eboard chess works on my jailbroken KT3.
See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...19&postcount=1
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:14 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.iotrix View Post
- - - -
My current firmware is 5.9.2.0.1 (3262870017).
But I am willing to change it or swap it for a different unit that will enable the support for the after market add-ins.
- - - - -
1) too late, the 5.9.x series can not be jail broken (other than by using the serial port).
You should have come here a year or two ago.

2) not your choice, Amazon has control of the device's behavior now

3) I answered ONLY about "Active Content" because your first post seemed to restrict what you where willing to add to that type of addition.

The 8th. generation devices (which includes your KT3) have NEVER been able to run "Active Content".

Such as the document form of KUAL.
But the possibilities are not limited to only "Active Content".
Such as the booklet form of KUAL.

So if you are willing to accept applications OTHER THAN "Active Content", then you still have choices....
When, if ever, it becomes possible to jail break your KT3 (not likely, mine is already jail broken, so I will not be working on a jb for it - I already did, a year ago last 4th of July).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert