Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question special characters ? in text but OK in notes list

I am puzzled as to why some characters will not display in text i.e. will appear as ?, but when I mark them as notes for later correction, they display fine on the list notes screen. does that screen use a different font set.

e.g. I had an instance of ï which appeared in the story as ? I marked it so as to edit it later ( usually I can find the correct alt code - in this case 0239 - which will display OK) but on the notes screen it looked fine !

I have seen similar behaviour with some other foreign characters - ? in text - but visible OK on notes list
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The font on the readers do not have a full UTF-8 set aboard. That is the reason you sometimes see a question mark instead of the character. In general you can say that Latin-1 and Western-European languages are covered.
It is strange that ï gave you a question mark, as this is in the list. I use it regularly as it is a used character here and I can't remember it didn't work.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Though it targets PRS+ firmware-extension, here you find some additional infos about fonts on Sony PRS prior T1.
And maybe you want to give PRS+ a try.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i already have PRS+ as for "It is strange that ï gave you a question mark" - I often find that I can replace a dodgy character with a 4 digit alt code, which looks identical, and the replacement will work fine.

There must be more than one way to create those special characters, and ade/sony is less tolerant that sigil book mode / calibre viewer

I am also guess that Sony use their non-serif font for menus & for pages such as list notes, so that when a short text extract appears on the list page, it is not in same font as when it is in the book ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote