Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-30-2018, 08:13 AM   #1
brianca
Enthusiast
brianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura
Best ereader for public library that uses both Overdrive and Cloud Library?

Hello,

Does anyone have any recommendations for an eInk ereader for use simultaneously with both Overdrive and Bibliotheca Cloud Library?

For years I’ve happily used Overdrive for library books, but where I live now our library system (NYPL) splits their ebook collection between Overdrive and Bibliotheca Cloud Library, and many of the books I’d like to read aren’t available in their OD collection.

I believe both should to be able to work via ADE on my Kobo Aura but in practice I’ve never been able to reliably make this work for both of them for any length of time — it seems as soon as I get one working, the other will produce an ADE error, or I have to unauthorize/reauthorize w/my Adobe ID, etc. It starts to seem like more trouble than it’s worth. (I’m using ADE on my Mac, and have tried different versions.)

I wonder if the Kobo Aura One could solve this problem by connecting to OD via the Kobo Store rather than ADE, and then using ADE just for CL? Has anyone done this?

I think in the eyes of NYPL the best solution is to use their SimplyE app for iOS/Android which combines both collections under one front end UI. I’ve tried this and it’s nice, but I’d really prefer to use eink.

I’m open to any brand, size, etc. really - but my understanding is that a Nook would have to do both via ADE just like I am now, and the Kindle can only do OD. (But please correct me if that’s incorrect!)

Thanks for any advice!
Brian

Last edited by brianca; 07-30-2018 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Add that I’m on a Mac
brianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
We have the Bibliotecha library. You can download the book to your computer and side load it. Takes a bit to figure out where the book got downloaded, but it will be in epub. With my Kindles, I load into Calibre and convert into Mobi.
On my Windows10 computer, the path is
C:/users/Myname/AppData/Roaming/Bibliotheca/CloudLibrary/PROD/ebooks

You can also use the app and read on any tablet including the cheapo Fire.

Audiobooks require using an App, so I can't use my Nano to listen to those. I use the Touch or one of my Fires then. (yes, well, there is away around it, but it's pretty techie and like Apprentice Alf, not suited to this forum in detail).

Last edited by Tarana; 08-12-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:01 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianca View Post
I wonder if the Kobo Aura One could solve this problem by connecting to OD via the Kobo Store rather than ADE, and then using ADE just for CL? Has anyone done this?
I think one of the Tolino readers (as well as a Sony T2 and T3) would probably work on both libraries. (The Sonys don't have front lights.) Tolinos and these specific Sonys have ADE built right into the device. But I can only speak for Overdrive, I've never used the other service you're talking about, "CL."

The way it works on my Tolino Page and my Sony T2 is that I use the built-in browsers, and log in to Overdrive. I can borrow the book from the devices' browsers, but that takes forever — it makes more sense to do the borrowing from a smartphone, a computer or a tablet, then login to your account on your device and just download your loan. You're still using the super-slow device browser, but not for much less time and it should be bearable.

Used Tolinos are on sale at eBay, some for around $30. Might be worth a shot to see how well they work with both library systems.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-13-2018 at 12:07 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:25 PM   #4
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Cloud Library works via an app so you need to have access to the Google Play store or Apple app store. You can't do either on a Sony, you need a tablet or an eink reader that can access apps.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:10 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Cloud Library works via an app so you need to have access to the Google Play store or Apple app store. You can't do either on a Sony, you need a tablet or an eink reader that can access apps.
I hope my library doesn't go to it as I don't have either an iPhone or an Android.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:05 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
In that case, it would be like ADE. Download to PC and transfer to your ereader. A bit picky in some cases but nothing else.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:50 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
In that case, it would be like ADE. Download to PC and transfer to your ereader. A bit picky in some cases but nothing else.
As long as it works in Linux, I'll be fine. As it stands now I borrow either Kindle books or ePubs and download them directly to my devices. I don't use ADE (except for what's built into my Sony T2s or Tolino Page).
Old 08-14-2018, 03:19 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
As long as it works in Linux, I'll be fine. As it stands now I borrow either Kindle books or ePubs and download them directly to my devices. I don't use ADE (except for what's built into my Sony T2s or Tolino Page).
Linux, I'm not sure. It's a program for Windows, I don'know if there is a Linux version.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Linux, I'm not sure. It's a program for Windows, I don'know if there is a Linux version.
I'm guessing there isn't. Hopefully Overdrive and the city of Fort Worth are still on good terms and will continue to be for many more years.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:46 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianca View Post
One friend of mine uses his KA1 in that way. Overdrive for the public library system and ADE for the corporate library.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
The Cloud Library desktop app will download an Adobe DRM'd ePub of the book. Mine uses the creds from my copy of ADE 2.0.1...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #12
brianca
Enthusiast
brianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura
Thanks all. I think I may try the Aura One like @DNSB said. If I could access OD wirelessly and then Cloud Library via ADE that might be the simplest option. And be a nice upgrade too
brianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The Cloud Library desktop app will download an Adobe DRM'd ePub of the book. Mine uses the creds from my copy of ADE 2.0.1...
But you have to have use an app, it can't be done from the browser? If it could be done from the browser I could probably still use the Sony T2 and/or Tolino Page — otherwise it's back to the no native ADE for Linux issue.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Speaking of ADE and the trouble of getting it to work with Linux...

Couldn't you setup an android development environment on Linux, get an Android app that uses ADE (like Bluereader), and get at the ebook file that way?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Speaking of ADE and the trouble of getting it to work with Linux...

Couldn't you setup an android development environment on Linux, get an Android app that uses ADE (like Bluereader), and get at the ebook file that way?
I don't know. I don't do much with Android. I would probably be more tempted to create a Windows partition and boot into that (sounds like less of a hassle). (It might be easy to set up an Android development environment, I just don't know anything about it. I'm not a big fan of Google any more.)

I was looking at the support page for this product on Dallas Library website and it does look like some of the Fire Tablets are supported — so that might be the way I would go, since I already own an (almost) unused Fire 7 Tablet.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-18-2018 at 02:41 PM.