Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-26-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
ntarvin
ntarvin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
What happened to Drag and Drop??

Latest Calibre (2.35) will not let me add books using drag and drop anymore.

I've got Calibre 2.35 on both Win 8.1 and Win 10, but neither works - an older Calibre version on Win 7 works fine. (Most of my books are added via drag and drop from Kindle content.)

I've tried going back to an older version, but that doesn't work either - I get a dialog about modifying or repairing when i try to overwrite the latest version.

Any suggestions, or any idea when a fix will be coming?? https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliestext/thankyou.gif
ntarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Not an answer toy your question, but a gentle comment.

Drag and Drop is not always the solution; for instance, here at MobileRead, one doesn't drag and drop the smiley into the message like this https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliestext/thankyou.gif; rather one just clicks on the desired smiley, like so .
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2015, 05:42 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntarvin View Post
Latest Calibre (2.35) will not let me add books using drag and drop anymore.

I've got Calibre 2.35 on both Win 8.1 and Win 10, but neither works - an older Calibre version on Win 7 works fine. (Most of my books are added via drag and drop from Kindle content.)

I've tried going back to an older version, but that doesn't work either - I get a dialog about modifying or repairing when i try to overwrite the latest version.

Any suggestions, or any idea when a fix will be coming?? https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliestext/thankyou.gif
@ntarvin - calibre 2.35 drag drop working here on Win 10.

Are you running calibre As Administrator I have a vague recollection it can effect drag drop operations?

What actually happens, an error message, or a No Entry icon on the dragged item?

Can you drag drop the same file elsewhere - eg to a thumb drive?

Can you add books by any of the Add Books options?

To get back to an older version you have to first uninstall the current version, you shouldn't lose anything, but a backup won't do any harm see -->> How do I backup calibre?. Or you can install a different edition - eg portable, or 32bit if 64 bit is installed, or 64 bit if 32 bit is installed AND your Windows is 64 bit. If I want an older version to check something I always go with the portable.

My guess is, if its not the run As Administrator issue, then a 3rd party program is 'interfering', maybe anti virus or a shell extension handler. Try running in Safe mode with no network.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-26-2015 at 05:57 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Drag and Drop is working fine for me on Win 8.1.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Drag and drop is working great for me with the latest calibre and windows 10.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Drag and Drop Always works from a Local drive (new or update)

Drag and Drop works from a Network share drive if there is No existing book record (new book)

Drag and Drop does not work from a Network share drive if there is an existing book record (update format)

Been this way a long time (XP,W7,W10)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:46 PM   #7
ntarvin

Thanks for the icon tip! I'll remember it for future posts.

I've finally found a way to use drag and drop without any problems... plus, I can use it on all three OS's (triple boot) 7, 8.1, and 10.

Simple solution - I installed Calibre (a slightly older portable version - once burned, twice shy!) on a flash drive, set the drive letter to "further down the alphabet" and left my Library files on a hard drive whose data is being shared with all three OS's.

Now I can just run it from the flash drive and everything works like it's supposed to. (All I really had to do was re-install the libraries using Switch/create library...)

The older I get, the more i appreciate a "simple" solution...

Thanks all...
Old 08-27-2015, 01:51 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

but the current calibre version is NOT broken - so you have some other undiagnosed issue

I just tested and, like others have said, - it all works for me
calibre 2.35 (64 bit) + win 10 (64 bit) + drag and drop.... no issues
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:46 AM   #9
ntarvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
but the current calibre version is NOT broken - so you have some other undiagnosed issue

I just tested and, like others have said, - it all works for me
calibre 2.35 (64 bit) + win 10 (64 bit) + drag and drop.... no issues
You're absolutely right, but i have a feeling that it might be this latest version of Win 10 (I'm still on insider previews...10525)

Tonight there is a new version of 10 (10532) that's been installed. Might make a difference. It *did* work on previous Win 10 builds...

I'll just have to test it (but it doesn't explain why it didn't work in 8.1) Everything else seems to work fine, so i have no clue what's wrong...
Old 08-28-2015, 03:57 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you are juggling 2 OS + different builds + different versions of calibre

is the win 8.1 PC a separate PC from the win 10 one ?

if so I'd try to debug the calibre issue on that w8.1 first.

most likely you have some other software on both PCs that is interfering with drag and drop , or you are drag+dropping across different drive types ?

If you post your exact w8.1 config i.e. 32 or 64,& calibre version and also whether that is 32 or 64, + your HD config,+ your calibre library location, there will most likely be someone here with an identical set up , so you can compare results with.
you are much less likely to find anyone on the same w10 insider build numbers
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #11
ntarvin

Actually, I have a triple boot setup - win 7, win 8.1, and Win 10. Each is on a separate partition. All controlled by EasyBCD and works perfectly. Win 7 is running Calibre 2.31, Win 8.1 and Win 10 are running Calibre 2.35. They all use a common library on a totally separate hard drive.

But, it's now SOLVED!!!

I had Calibre on Win 8.1, and on Win 10 set up so that their shortcuts always had "Run as Administrator" checked. As soon as I *removed* the checkmark, Calibre ran just the way it was supposed to.

Anyway, I'm glad that problem is now gone. Thanks to all for your help and suggestions!

Last edited by ntarvin; 08-28-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But, it's now SOLVED!!!

I had Calibre on Win 8.1, and on Win 10 set up so that their shortcuts always had "Run as Administrator" checked. As soon as I *removed* the checkmark, Calibre ran just the way it was supposed to.

Anyway, I'm glad that problem is now gone. Thanks to all for your help and suggestions!
Which the 1st thing I suggested at the top of post #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@ntarvin - calibre 2.35 drag drop working here on Win 10.

Are you running calibre As Administrator I have a vague recollection it can effect drag drop operations?
BR
Old 08-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #13
ntarvin

Quote:
Which the 1st thing I suggested at the top of post #3

BR
Hi, BR -

My apologies... you're right.

Actually, I thought you were suggesting to *run* it as an Administrator, since I had heard that before - which was probably why I was running it that way to begin with! It just seemed bit counter-intuitive that running it as an admin would *limit* it's capabilities...

It didn't occur to me that you meant NOT to run it as an administrator. Had I looked at it *that* way, you'd have solved the problem for me a lot sooner. I'll have to remember to look at problems from all sides...
Old 08-28-2015, 08:30 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
I'll have to remember to look at problems from all sides...
I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all

"Both Sides, Now" - Joni Mitchell 1969

BR
Old 08-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #15
ntarvin

Quote:
I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all

"Both Sides, Now" - Joni Mitchell 1969

BR
LOL! I was in San Francisco getting tired of playing "hippie" when that came out... (yeah, I'm old...)