Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Downgrading (upgrading?) to FW 1.9.17 - a brief review

Now that my original Touch (N905) has fallen off the back of the firmware upgrade train, and because I was not satisfied with 2.6.1, I decided to look back through previous versions of the firmware and try an older one that I preferred.

I narrowed the options down to 2.1.5 and 1.9.17, and decided to try 1.9.17 first. I am glad I did!

Firstly, with 1.9.17 and side-loaded epubs (which always use), the text can fill the screen again No more empty lines at the top of the screen.

Secondly, you get the progress bar with chapter marker pips back again, which I loved.

It also seems to go to sleep faster, but that might be because there are fewer books on it right now--not sure.

A downside is that looking up dictionary entries in 1.9.17 requires three taps, fewer in later firmware versions.

Overall, I prefer 1.9.17. I think it is better for customised side-loaded epubs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1230891_crop.JPG
Views:	634
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	112327   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1230888_crop.JPG
Views:	579
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	112328  

Last edited by rjcroy; 09-28-2013 at 06:23 PM.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I also have original touch and remember 1.9.17 one of the best firmware versions. One of the later versions was so bad I started using Kobo Wifi again until better touch firmware was released.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
sos_sifou
sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo
I just don't understand how some developers think that they have improved the firmware by taking off useful things, like that wasted space all over the screen.
sos_sifou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
I am on 2.3.2 the top margin is fine and chess works
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I remember chapter pips! This has shot to the #1 slot on my Firmware Wishlist.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sos_sifou View Post
I just don't understand how some developers think that they have improved the firmware by taking off useful things, like that wasted space all over the screen.
I can understand why the developers added a top margin. Some epubs from publishers have no top margin at all, and in 1.9.17 this puts the top line flush against the top bezel, which is not easy to read.

But I wish they had added a small top margin (say 10 pt) to address this rather than a large top margin that costs you one or two lines.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
What does the home page look like, is the sync icon a cloud located towards the lower right of the screen?
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
rjcroy
Bibliophile

The home page looks like this:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1230894_crop_scl.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	112569  
Old 10-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcroy View Post
The home page looks like this:
Thanks, it is different than what I was expecting.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote