Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 08-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Stoker, Bram: The Lair of the White Worm (1911). v2. 8 Aug 2013

This is the original text of Bram Stoker's horror novel, as first published in 1911, and with the six original 1911 colour illustrations by Pamela Colman Smith.

Wikipedia says that in 1925, it was republished in a highly abridged and rewritten form. Over a hundred pages were removed, the rewritten book having only twenty-eight chapters instead of the original forty. The final eleven chapters were cut down to only five, leading some critics to complain that the ending was abrupt and inconsistent.

Ken Russell made a 1988 film with the same title, loosely based on the book. Oh, the horror! the horror! ...

This is the 40-chapter version, now proof-read.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi The Lair of the White Worm - Bram Stoker.mobi (1.62 MB, 320 views)

Last edited by Araucaria; 08-21-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: illustrated version uploaded
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have now uploaded a version (v2) with the original 1911 illustrations.
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Nice. Out of curiosity what distinguishes V2 from V1? I mean did it have a number of errors corrected or did you find a better raw copy that has the missing chapters restored?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
Araucaria
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Nice. Out of curiosity what distinguishes V2 from V1? I mean did it have a number of errors corrected or did you find a better raw copy that has the missing chapters restored?
Both versions were the complete 40 chapter book as published in 1911. The second version additionally contains the six illustrations that were included in the 1911 publication, but which I hadn't managed to put into v1. I also corrected a couple of minor errors, possibly typos in the original publication.

If you want the 28 chapter abridgement it's the one on PG.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
Both versions were the complete 40 chapter book as published in 1911. The second version additionally contains the six illustrations that were included in the 1911 publication, but which I hadn't managed to put into v1. I also corrected a couple of minor errors, possibly typos in the original publication.

If you want the 28 chapter abridgement it's the one on PG.
Thanks. I was just wondering what the updated version's difference was to the original upload. I uploaded a updated version of a book yesterday myself. I finally managed to get the poetry (in my Omnibus of E.A. Poe) to display right on the reader. Turned out the text was justified rather than being aligned to the left so everything came out broken up (which didn't scan very well during reading). Interesting how small things can make for big headaches.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Probably Ken Russell's best movie. Most watchable anyway.

(At any rate, thanks, I had read the abridged version)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote