Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 02-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #2701
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Just to be sure, if I'm not on 4.2 firmware and have H2O, do I need to install this patch?

Now everything works and I don't plan upgrading to 4.2 (or higher) firmware, as I don't use nickel at all.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:57 AM   #2702
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
Just to be sure, if I'm not on 4.2 firmware and have H2O, do I need to install this patch?

Now everything works and I don't plan upgrading to 4.2 (or higher) firmware, as I don't use nickel at all.
If everything works, you can leave it as it is. Installing the patch however goes very easy, and it does not hurt.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2017, 08:08 AM   #2703
sadkingbilly
Bookworm
sadkingbilly began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad 2nd Edition (dead), Kobo Aura One (stolen), Likebook Mars.
Hey all, been a while since I visited, finally got a new ereader, the Kobo Auda ONE. Can anyone tell me if, and how, it runs on this reader?

I updated the software to 4.3.8842 (21-2-2017)

tried Coolreader but that refused to send me back to kobo menu and gave critical error after reboot.. Oh well.
sadkingbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:34 AM   #2704
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadkingbilly View Post
Hey all, been a while since I visited, finally got a new ereader, the Kobo Auda ONE. Can anyone tell me if, and how, it runs on this reader?

I updated the software to 4.3.8842 (21-2-2017)

tried Coolreader but that refused to send me back to kobo menu and gave critical error after reboot.. Oh well.
With that device and that firmware, be sure to follow tshering's post above. #2702
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #2705
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does Koreader run on a Kobo running firmware 4.3.8842 with the new 32bpp? Previous firmware used 16bpp.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #2706
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does Koreader run on a Kobo running firmware 4.3.8842 with the new 32bpp? Previous firmware used 16bpp.
That issue was worked on at the Github project, you might try one of the recent nightlys.

You may also need the updates to KSM8, the patches to address problems generated by the new Kobo FW. ( For me, older FW is fine, not sure there is anything added in the >4.0 FW, that would be worth the problems it brings.)

Luck;
Ken
Old 03-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #2707
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Koreader v2015.11-847 run fine with FW 4.3.8842 with and without KSM08.
Also CoolReader/pbchess 2017.02.02.
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #2708
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
I haven't update Koreader (v2015.11-3-g9e0be45) for my Kobo Aura HD for a while. Occasionally it closes by itself. I wonder if I have the "stable" version. Thank you.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:21 AM   #2709
KevinBurke
Enthusiast
KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
I haven't update Koreader (v2015.11-3-g9e0be45) for my Kobo Aura HD for a while. Occasionally it closes by itself. I wonder if I have the "stable" version. Thank you.
Hello, I have a kobo aura HD.

You should update for various reasons other than just stability.

I just updated to the newest KSM and the newest koreader because updating my kobo to the newest firmware wiped out the old version.

It seems to have improved by adding new features. For instance, I don't remember the nightmode patch being included, in the old version, but it seems to be a feature of the new version. It probably isn't the only added new feature as it just seems better overall.

I might be wrong about nightmode being a new feature of koreader but I thought it used to be a seperate patch. Anyway, it is hard to describe but it seems koreader progresses with every new version and it just seems better overall.

Last edited by KevinBurke; 03-17-2017 at 01:48 AM.
KevinBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:33 AM   #2710
KevinBurke
Enthusiast
KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hello,

Thanks everyone for the great work !

Just wanted to confirm everything is working with newest KSM and Koreader and in conjunction
with k2pdfopt it is an awesome combination that works great with PDFs even though I don't have a Kobo Aura One but just a Kobo Aura HD with its limited screen realestate.

I am getting an Android tablet soon but I can't see myself reading most PDFs on it for any long length of time just for quick reference for information since the screen won't be eink.

So for those who think it is not feasible to read mist PDFs on a average screen sized ereader they obviously probably did not try the koreader with pdf2opt. It's not ideal but it works sufficiently well enough to make reading most PDFs feasible like the old Sony ereader software did. Back when I had a Sony ereader I also optimized the PDFs with third party tools like K2pdfopt too.

Last edited by KevinBurke; 03-17-2017 at 01:45 AM.
KevinBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #2711
Hopper333
Hopper333 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Most stable FW for KSM 08 and koreader?

Does anyone have an opinion on the best Kobo FW if I never want to use nickel but just the following:
  • koreader (with nightmode) and if so which version is most stable and fastest for PDFs, epubs and djvu?
  • Sleep working by closing the cover in koreader with no battery drain
  • USB and wifi working
  • Frontlight setting staying stable between sessions
  • No random screen rotations in koreader or KSM
The latest FW messed some of these up for me and even with the latest KSM patch it's not as stable as it was - at least at the moment.

Also, is sticking to an old FW feasible or will it get broken by new KSM/koreader versions? Due to the development model, there seems to be an inevitable lack of information about interfaces and compatibility that would help us to make these judgements.

M
Hopper333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #2712
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I have kept my AuraHD on the 3.05 firmware and still use KSM 7.4 with hundreds of KOReader version updates to my current v2015.11-835. There has been a lot of fiddling with the UI lately, that I am not too sure about, so I haven't updated KOReader in awhile. The reappearance of the rotation issues seems related to the v4 Kobo firmware updates.

Luck;
Ken
Old 03-25-2017, 08:54 AM   #2713
tobbsn
tobbsn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi people,

first of all thank you all for the amazing work! I just recently got a used Kobo Glo and instantly started tinkering with it, with this thread's help. This is a very valuable resource!

But what I haven't found is an answer to the following question:
Is there a way to set a custom screensaver from a certain file? I've seen tips on using the current books cover, on excluding certain files from the random image thing and so on. But I want to set a specific file as my screensaver.

In KSM08 itself I can set a HTML-File to display when my device is turned off. I just modified the file to show my email-address and a short message to contact me if I loose it and someone finds it.

I want to do something similar for the koreader's screensaver, when I suspend my kobo glo. I've searched some threads, looked on other places on the web and tried figuring out the screensaver.lua file, but I have zero experience with lua so far and found nothing of help in there.

Is there an official way to do what I am looking for (which I may have overlooked), or is there a simple way to modify the mentioned lua-file for my needs?
tobbsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #2714
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
This is already programmed into koreader, you can use text, image, or directory with images for both suspend and power off.

Here you can found instructions: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/2349

Here is how to do with images:

Quote:
["suspend_screensaver"] = {
["path"] = "/mnt/onboard/.screensaver/sleeping"
},
["poweroff_screensaver"] = {
["path"] = "/mnt/onboard/.screensaver/powered_off"
},
You either point it to image file, or directory where images are located.

You put this into settings.reader.lua file. But, to be safe, made backup before editing settings.reader.lua file because if you use wrong syntax file will be deleted and you'll use all your settings. So saving it before editing is best bet not to have problems.

On thread there you have more informations, so read all posts there if you're interested in more info.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #2715
Ken Maltby
Wizard

There is a File Manager menu item "Screensaver" that lets you set the "Screensaver folder" (as of v2015.11-904) but it asks for the one path. So someone should perhaps change it to input two paths, one for the suspend screensaver and one for the powered_off screensaver. For now, editing the settings.reader.lua to add the power_off screensaver code/script is a way to do it.

Luck;
Ken