Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #31
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Is this thread about the propriety of self-promotion, or the effectiveness of self-promotion? I think it's perfectly proper, but probably not very effective.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #32
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Is this thread about the propriety of self-promotion, or the effectiveness of self-promotion? I think it's perfectly proper, but probably not very effective.

However you want to see it.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #33
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
well, then, what *is* an effective way for a self-published author to promote their books?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #34
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
well, then, what *is* an effective way for a self-published author to promote their books?
That question is debated/discussed ad infinitum in the writer's section here, at KBoards, and probably everywhere that you find two or more indie authors in one place.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #35
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
The best way is to be attacked by a large, powerful, unpopular organization and have the opportunity of fighting back.

I.e., "Walmart seeks to ban BeccaPrice's latest book; says it is 'too exciting' for their elderly patrons and 'too sexy' for their religious customers."
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #36
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
The best way is to be attacked by a large, powerful, unpopular organization and have the opportunity of fighting back.

I.e., "Walmart seeks to ban BeccaPrice's latest book; says it is 'too exciting' for their elderly patrons and 'too sexy' for their religious customers."
You've piqued my interest. Where, pray tell, might I procure this book, kind sir?
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #37
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
You've piqued my interest. Where, pray tell, might I procure this book, kind sir?
Becca, if you have any sense, you'll post a link and say nothing.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #38
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I say nothing....

Note: this link is NSFW/NS13.

(and sorry about the affiliate link - thank you for removing it)

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 05-13-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: affiliate tag removed - moderator
Old 05-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #39
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
If it's a college professor requiring his own book for his course, then I'd say it's very effective.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #40
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If it's a college professor requiring his own book for his course, then I'd say it's very effective.
Depends upon the prof. I've had a couple who gave students permission to copy the relevant sections of their book. It did ensure that everyone could afford to read their book, but it didn't help their bottom line.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #41
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I'm really quite stunned at the majority of answers here (okay, and pleased too.)

Although from my standpoint, a sig line or avatar can serve as a more discreet way of letting people know I am an author. It is very uncomfortable to be unable to recommend my own work on appropriate threads. It also does make me feel unwelcome. I GET it. I know why it can't be allowed. But I still have this feeling of not belonging and of not being wanted as a contributor. Any other profession you can mention what you do. If you're a writer on just about any forum (and I mean sewing forums, gardening forums, soap forums and ESPECIALLY reader forums) you have to be very careful about how you mention it. Some forums are okay with it and don't think anything of it. Other forums assume it's advertising just by the mere mention of your career choice.

What is very strange to me is that on one of the soap making forums over half the participants sell the soap. It's ASSUMED you sell soap so people posting about new soaps or recipes are just part of the regular posts. It's one of the few places where the attitude toward selling is a little more open. On the sewing forum, it's kept to a special spot and sig lines are monitored pretty carefully so that links don't go to sites that sell fabric/products/etc.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #42
M.T. Miles
Enthusiast
M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is a tough question to answer. Of course, an author needs to believe in his/her work and the same author is unlikely to meet with success if she/he is not willing and able to promote it. But ultimately, when it comes the recommending his/her own work, I'd have to side with Dr. Drib.

Last edited by M.T. Miles; 05-13-2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling error
M.T. Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #43
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Just bringing it up wouldn't bother me. At least on this forum though, "bringing it up" usually means copy and pasting whatever spiel you have written up on your self promotion thread. If they kept themselves from doing that I wouldn't mind.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #44
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
...and I've been trying to think of what to say. All I can say is that NSFW book probably does not accurately portray the majority of Wal-Mart shoppers.

Last edited by LovesMacs; 05-13-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Added NSFW warning, a sensible precaution that I too forgot
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #45
BeccaPrice
Wizard

which is why I chose it - and then realized I should have put a NSFW/NS13 notice on the link, which may have been in bad taste. and I apologize if I offended anyone thereby. <abashed>