Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Kobo Website - Search not working

On Kobo's website, searching for a book or author isn't working, if you're logged in.

If you're not logged in, search works just fine.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever

Last edited by david_e; 02-10-2013 at 03:49 PM.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That has been happening to me since before Christmas. I reported it to Kobo and have had a few exchanges with them about it. The second last was saying they could reproduce it and it had been passed to development to fix. There wasn't any time frame for when to expect the fix.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My guess is that their code to keep track of your searches is failing, which is then causing the search itself to fail.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That has been happening to me since before Christmas. I reported it to Kobo and have had a few exchanges with them about it. The second last was saying they could reproduce it and it had been passed to development to fix. There wasn't any time frame for when to expect the fix.
Yes it's been happening to me since before Christmas too.

It's very frustrating as if I want to purchase a book I have to log out to search to find the book (I don't always want to buy the ones on the first page duh!) and then click buy and then log in. Interestingly at this point the price OFTEN changes up quite a few dollars which is illegal in Australia but that's another story...

If I'm crazy enough to want to purchase more than one book I have to log out again so that I can search for my next book etc etc.

I reported it to Kobo and I didn't even get a reply.

Funny I haven't been buying many Kobo books lately - it's just too difficult...
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Funny I haven't been buying many Kobo books lately - it's just too difficult...
Same here. But, that's a good thing. I need to catch up with those I bought in December. So does my credit card
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well it's my husband's birthday at the end of February and several new books are on the birthday list.

I just don't know if I can be bothered to go through all the search, sign in, realise the price is now more expensive, calculate whether it's cheaper to buy on Amazon, sign out, search for another book, sign in to check real price, sign out, search for another book, give up and decide to go do something else just to buy him a few books.

I'm sure there's something else he might enjoy that is easier to buy.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What happens if you have two browser sessions open? Maybe search from a chrome incognito browser while staying logged on from a regular chrome window?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I just don't know if I can be bothered to go through all the search, sign in, realise the price is now more expensive, calculate whether it's cheaper to buy on Amazon, sign out, search for another book, sign in to check real price, sign out, search for another book, give up and decide to go do something else just to buy him a few books.
Until Kobo fixes the problem, would it work just to create another account with a temporary email address for searching and browsing while logged in? Just use your original account for making the final purchase.

Search works for me while logged in, although there are some strange things with the way the Kobo website operates. I once accidentally clicked on a German language book and ever since that I have both German and English versions of books in the results of every search. But with the discount codes most of the books I buy at Kobo work out about half the price of Amazon so I find it is worth putting up with these quirks.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #10
HarleyB
Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestions but it's not really a question of searching for the books (as in looking for something to buy) it is more being able to get the book that I want onto the page so I can click the buy now button so having a second browser window or second account won't help.
The only books I can access while logged in are those on the home page or in the Top 50 list or the Free books.
Any other books are impossible to locate. If I search by author or title I get a lovely message telling me they don't have any results. If I try to click one of the categories down the left side I am told that the list is empty or geographically restricted - every single list/category has either no books or they are restricted.
However these search options work perfectly when I am not signed in so it's not as if I am trying to access books that really are unavailable and I have had no problems (once I get to the book and then sign in) with the actual purchases.
The only way to get to a particular book is to sign out and navigate to the book and then click the buy now button and then I get prompted to sign in. If I sign in before I click the buy now button all the books vanish and the red message telling me there are no books comes back.
The geographically restricted comment made me think kobo was confused about my location but I have checked my details numerous times and they are all correct. I have never used any other location other than Australia and I have been purchasing books successfully from Kobo since mid 2010.

Last edited by HarleyB; 02-10-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
murg
No Comment

I guess Kobo has decided to make their money selling the devices, and not from the ebooks...
Old 02-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
Wordsworth
Wordsworth began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq rx1950 Pocket PC, Kobo Reader (wifi), Kobo Mini.
I very rarely buy their books. I used to use Fictionwise until they packed up and gave you an option of transferring your library to B&N. B&N use DRM, I avoid it like the plague. That's what I liked about Fictionwise, their non DRM selection. Had a few problems with Kobo downloads. You get your library 'synced' at the same time. I've spent many an unhappy hour going through my library to close books that have been re-opened. PITA !!!
Wordsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Search has worked just fine for me the last 2 days.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
I've had no problem with logged in searches, either (including just a moment ago to test).

Perhaps clearing out your browser's cache, history, and Kobo-related cookies will help. That procedure has worked many times for me in the past with other sites (which is why it's the standard advice most support'll give as the first suggestion to Web-related issues).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
I also have had no issues with searching while logged into my account.
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote