Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
jruschme
jruschme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Carousel annoyance

My wife and I have a pair of Fire HD7s which we really enjoy. One annoyance for us, though, is the fact that if either of us buys a book or mails a personal document, even if it is being sent to another device (i.e., KK), it shows up in the carousel of both Fires. As we have very diverse (and divergent) tastes, this is somewhat annoying.

Anybody know of a way to turn off this behavior?

Thanks...
JR
jruschme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

It sounds like you have the Fires set to show everything in your Amazon Cloud. Set each category on each Fire to display only the items loaded on that device. To do so touch each category item (Games, Apps, Books, etc.) to display the items in that category, then touch the Device button at the top of the screen.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-13-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
A newly-purchased book or personal documents emailed will appear on the carousel regardless of the setting that displays content in each individual category (cloud/device).

As far as I know, the only way to avoid receiving book/document transactions made by others is to establish separate accounts for the devices.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
It will Show BUT wont download! So just tap & Delete from Carosel. It will go to Cloud IF its not downloaded to your Fire.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
It will Show BUT wont download! So just tap & Delete from Carosel. It will go to Cloud IF its not downloaded to your Fire.
But the question was how to get rid of the annoyance of it appearing on the carousel. Whether it downloads or not, you can still tap and delete it, but it is still an annoyance to have to do so.

I think the only actual solution would be to use different accounts, or get rid of the carousel entirely by using a different launcher. (Not a very elegant solution if you happen to otherwise like Amazon's UI.)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
What is even more annoying is that there is no way to "delete all." When I first got my Fire1, it suddenly had every book I purchased for my Kindle1. I had to remove them from the stupid Carousel one by one by one....

I would be perfectly happy if I could get rid of the wretched Carousel completely, but no way, unfortunately.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
What is even more annoying is that there is no way to "delete all." When I first got my Fire1, it suddenly had every book I purchased for my Kindle1. I had to remove them from the stupid Carousel one by one by one....

I would be perfectly happy if I could get rid of the wretched Carousel completely, but no way, unfortunately.
Now that would be a great feature to have on all kindles. To give the user complete control of what they want displayed on the Carousel! To give them the choice of what is on it or not.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
blunty
Enthusiast
blunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone5, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Now that would be a great feature to have on all kindles. To give the user complete control of what they want displayed on the Carousel! To give them the choice of what is on it or not.
To have an Android device that act like others rather than the stupidly limited carousel and menu list. Icons, widgets etc. In fact only good thing about the fire is the choice on the Amazon store. The fire itself is, unusually for Amazon, a poor piece of hardware. Interface, battery, functionality (thinking zoom and audio here on books, skype). Cheap yes but...
blunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:49 AM   #9
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
So I guess there is still no fix for this? I average about twelve kindle purchases a day (mostly free), and it's silly to have to manually delete them from my carousel one by one.
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:59 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
There's a special place in hell reserved for the folks that designed and signed off on the carousel
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
So I guess there is still no fix for this? I average about twelve kindle purchases a day (mostly free), and it's silly to have to manually delete them from my carousel one by one.
Which Fire do you own?
Old 12-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #12
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Which Fire do you own?
The HD 8.9", second generation I guess?

I just bought the newer HD 7, Black Friday ~$80 deal, potentially for my daughter for Christmas; but I guess I could give her my older one instead. Haven't really compared features on them.....
Old 12-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #13
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
There should be a limit you can set as to how many items appear on the carousel. Like when the screen sleeps. That's an easy fix to this carousel nonsense. I would have mine set at 5.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
The HD 8.9", second generation I guess?

I just bought the newer HD 7, Black Friday ~$80 deal, potentially for my daughter for Christmas; but I guess I could give her my older one instead. Haven't really compared features on them.....
There was only one generation of the HD 8.9 and it still uses the Jelly Bean fork of the OS. All Fires released in 2013 and 2014 use the KitKat fork and have a better interface that will allow you to do a neat little trick (explained below)

To get rid of the carrousel on the HD 8.9, add a different launcher. I did that on my HD 7 (same year as your HD 8.9). That's the only to easily remove the carousel clutter short of rooting.

For your new HD 7, you can remove the carousel from view by simply flipping the favorites from the bottom of the screen to the top. Then leave them there. You'll never see the carousel again, unless you flip the favorites back down. I have the HD 6 and that's what I did to "remove" that stupid carrousel. Then I put my apps in folders. Now my screen shows folders and the heading across the top -- Shop, Games, Apps, Books, etc.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #15
TrevorViking
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
There was only one generation of the HD 8.9 and it still uses the Jelly Bean fork of the OS. All Fires released in 2013 and 2014 use the KitKat fork and have a better interface that will allow you to do a neat little trick (explained below)

To get rid of the carrousel on the HD 8.9, add a different launcher. I did that on my HD 7 (same year as your HD 8.9). That's the only to easily remove the carousel clutter short of rooting.

For your new HD 7, you can remove the carousel from view by simply flipping the favorites from the bottom of the screen to the top. Then leave them there. You'll never see the carousel again, unless you flip the favorites back down. I have the HD 6 and that's what I did to "remove" that stupid carrousel. Then I put my apps in folders. Now my screen shows folders and the heading across the top -- Shop, Games, Apps, Books, etc.
Cool, thanks tube!

Another Kindle annoyance is the default send to choice for all my purchases. I wish there was a way to make that the cloud reader. I hate that extra couple clicks. My wife never uses her old kindle, but the next time she turns it on she's going to have a billion books trying to download themselves.