Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Is this explanation right?
Absolutely correct 0 0%
Maybe 3 100.00%
Totally wrong 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Question Where is TZ coming from?

Do you thing this is exact?

I think the time zone (located in /var/local/system/tz) is set when you initialy register the Kindle (based on "Your Kindle Account", "Country Settings") and is possibly also updated when you later synchronize.

I think that because one can only set the time from the Kindle Settings, Device Time menu, or alternately from a JB device, using the date and hwclock commands, or from synchronizing with a time server using the ntpdate command.

BTW, you can display the date and time from the home screen by selecting the first entry of a search for ;date. My Kindle has the correct time zone -- albeit without proper daylight saving time support -- and I don't recall ever setting it myself.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Matan
Enthusiast
Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: none
My kindle has a ridiculous timezone: GMT+01:18.

I also don't recall setting it, and I certainly did not set it to _that_.

I have no problem with unix programs, such as FBReader, since I set /etc/localtime correctly, but every reboot, the kindle sets /var/local/system/tz to GMT+01:18.

My country is set to Israel in the kindle settings on amazon.com.
Matan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The time information is also sent in 3G packets. If that information is used to set the time (like it is in cell phones) then perhaps a local cell tower has the incorrect time. On my kindle, the time and timezone can be viewed on Settings 611 Page 2 ( Home Menu Settings Alt-Y Alt-Q Alt-Q Next-Page> ).

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-20-2011 at 06:23 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Like geekmaster said, I'm pretty sure it's based on the GSM/3G data, I've never had any issues when switching DST/TimeZones that spending a quick time with wireless enabled didn't fix (provided the local provider/tower doesn't suck too much). I can't remember if NTP is actually used on the Kindle by default, but it might be too.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-20-2011 at 07:28 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Like geekmaster said, I'm pretty sure it's based on the GSM/3G data, I've never had any issues when switching DST/TimeZones that spending a quick time with wireless enabled didn't fix [snip].
Experience might be better with GSM/3G data, but other than DST my wifi only device has no issue either.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
teasonc
teasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard 3G
AFAICR (it is on loan to a friend) KKSO 3.1 (Wifi only) follows my wireless router's TZ.

I wanted this Kindle to be forced to UTC and it wasn't wanting to do so. I tried to define the router's TZ (and suceeded). Kindle followed nicely.

KDXG 2.5.5 needs 3G turned on prior to a forced menu restart and frequently gets set to Alaska time instead of EST5EDT.

KKSO3G 3.3 always gets TZ locally correct.
teasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
ryran
Connoisseur
ryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3G
I can't speak to what teasonc said, but I know that my K3 gets its timezone set via 3g--I've never told it that I'm in Abu Dhabi (GST, i.e., UTC+4) but it knows. Since updating to 3.3 I've noticed the clock go bad a couple times, which is frustrating, but all I have to do to fix it is turn on 3g.
ryran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryran View Post
I can't speak to what teasonc said, but I know that my K3 gets its timezone set via 3g--I've never told it that I'm in Abu Dhabi (GST, i.e., UTC+4) but it knows. Since updating to 3.3 I've noticed the clock go bad a couple times, which is frustrating, but all I have to do to fix it is turn on 3g.
Yes that is the way it is. The kindle clock is ether set by the user and have manual clock set turned on, or automatic, on your kindle. If you have automatic set time turned on when you turn on the wireless. The amazon servers use your information about where you live and maybe your IP address, to automatically sync your kindle to the local time.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
lineage
lineage began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 touch
In case anyone else finds this thread while hunting down timezones..

I also found my timezone was GMT offset by 3:02. This is an unregistered kindle 4 touch.

I connected over the USB net interface with ssh and tried the following;

I replaced the tz file with the one from my main linux distro (arch). I have a slight worry that its a much more complex file, but the kindle seems happy with it so far. Initially I just moved the tz file to tz.was and the time then looked to be in straight UTC.

I then used
Code:
ntpdate 192.168.15.1
to get the time from my connected linux machine then
Code:
hwclock -w
to write the time to the h/ware. Not sure if thats needed, but the hw time from
Code:
hwclock -r
was showing 1970.. At that point date returned a sensible time but the book reader still had the 3:02 offset. That seems to be stored in
Code:
/var/local/java/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.framework/prefs
There were 2 entires that had the offset in, device.tz.lasttz and the device.tz.ltosec which seems to be a seconds offset equal to 3:02. I edited the file with vi.

After that a reboot and all seems sane. At least for now.
lineage is offline   Reply With Quote