Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
chrisisbd
Chris Green
chrisisbd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Using Kindle 3G as an ssh client - possible? how?

I have a fairly newly acquired Kindle 3-G which is running version 3.3 of the software.

How easy will it be to install an ssh *client* on the Kindle so I can access ssh servers (on my home machine and elsewhere)?

I've read around here a bit but most of the ssh references seem to be to installing an ssh server (as in sshd) on the kindle. I assume I'd need to jailbreak my Kindle which seems fairly straightforward but then is there a reasonably easy to obtain ssh to put on it?
chrisisbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The unhacked kindle has /usr/sbin/ defined in PATH, and /usr/sbin/ssh hardlinked to /usr/sbin/dropbearmulti

The command:
ssh user@host
works fine for me when run at a kindle command prompt when Wi-Fi is on. I successfully connected to my web hosting service on the "interwebs". ;-)

SSH does not go through the 3G amazon proxy without suitable "naughty bits" though (and please do NOT risk getting "experimental" free 3G shut down for all of us).

You *could* install a command shell CGI script on a remote web server and do proxied SSH (embedded in a web page) from there using the kindle web browser. I run "Shell In A Box" on my Linux PC at home, but 3G access to it using HTTPS port 443 from a kindle web browser is rather twitchy. Running "screen" would be a good way to resume an SSH session.

I have considered running Luigi's Console (web browser version) on my Linux PC instead of "Shell In A Box" due to its simplicity. I will report back when I get around to it RSN ("Real Soon Now")... ;-)

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-18-2011 at 08:51 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
r04r
r04r began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Install launchpad, install the lastest version of the terminal emulator and use the ssh command line tool.

Last edited by r04r; 11-20-2011 at 09:43 PM.
r04r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
tannenba
tannenba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The unhacked kindle has /usr/sbin/ defined in PATH, and /usr/sbin/ssh hardlinked to /usr/sbin/dropbearmulti
Ummm, not quite. You have /usr/sbin and dropmultibearmulti installed on your kindle because you installed the usbnetwork hack.

If you solely want an ssh client but do not want to install the usbnetwork hack, you can simply download the usbnetwork hack to your PC, unzip it, and copy the file dropbearmulti (located in src/usbnet/bin in the usbnetwork .zip file) to a folder in the USB storage on your kindle. Rename the file on your kindle from dropbearmulti to ssh (usb storage is FAT, no links). Install a terminal emulator (the one mentioned in the above post is great, it is the one I use - fyi it emulates an 'xterm' terminal). Now simply add the USB folder containing ssh to your path, and ssh as usual. This way you have an ssh client and minimal changes to the kindle filesystem/boot scripts. Works great!
tannenba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I see that the hardlink reported above is only correct when I chroot to my ext3 image. I thought that I had exited from debian before checking the link when I posted the above email.

I thought the one in /mnt/bin/ was not a link, but I see now that it links to the usbnet on...

Oops... Sorry... (Brain Fart)... ;-(

And yes, I use myts-6 as well. I had to modify the keymap to work on my DX and DXG (as well as my 3G).

A virgin unhacked kindle can use the web browser to access an SSH remote console embedded in a web page.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-21-2011 at 01:53 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
Drift3r
Drift3r began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard 3g
Question midnight commander

will it be trouble to install mc in the same way?
Drift3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
samineru
samineru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm not familiar with the specifics, but I know that the 3g internet connection is not as easily available. I have not yet found a way to run a native ssh client over 3g.
samineru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssh client kindle