Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 05:28 PM   #1891
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Glo HD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Say what?? What is a "thorn" in this circumstance?
A thorn is the letter þ, which replaces "th" at the beginning of a word in old texts, but in modern typography is usually represented by "y". So the word "the" is spelled "ye", but it should still be pronounced like "the." It was a book about 17th century America, I should add.

All those "yees" really took a toll on me.

ETA: I don't mind it when someone says "ye" when it's something like Ye Olde Towne Shoppe; it would even be silly not to say it that way. But not in a scholarly work.

Last edited by issybird; 01-31-2017 at 05:33 PM.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2017, 05:32 PM   #1892
ApK
What did you call me?
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
A thorn is the letter þ, which replaces "th" in old texts at the beginning of a word, but in modern typography is usually represented by "y". So the word "the" is spelled "ye", but it should still be pronounced like "the." It was a book about 17th century America, I should add.

All those "yees" really took a toll on me.
Not for nothing, but I would direct my anger to whomever decided to represent it with a "y" rather than with a "th."

What did they THINK was going to happen?!

(eta: Especially since the pronoun 'ye,' with the 'yee' sound, was also a word! Geesh!)

Last edited by ApK; 02-01-2017 at 11:08 AM.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #1893
Catlady
Wizard
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip, jetBook Lite
Latest listen: The Fire by Night, by Teresa Messineo, narrated by Kirsten Potter. This novel detailed the experiences of two army nurses during World War II, one in Europe trapped behind enemy lines, the other in the Pacific in a Japanese prison camp.

This was tough to listen to, because their experiences were so terrible. The story reminded me of two old WWII-era films--So Proudly We Hail and Cry Havoc--but grittier and more nightmarish. Best book of the year so far.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #1894
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Glo HD, Aura One
I'm listening to Phantom Terror: Political Paranoia and the Creation of the Modern State, 1789-1848 , written by Adam Zamoyski and read by Gildart Jackson. It's an account of state repression in Europe and America in the aftermath of the French Revolution. Chilling and all too relevant.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #1895
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HD 8.9, Fire HD8
Currently listening to an Ian Rankin book, Even Dogs in the Wild. Narrator is James Macpherson, and he's appropriate and good, but it's taking my ears a bit of time to sync in to the accent. The main problem has been that I've not been able to do dedicated time with it, and I need a couple of hours of steady listening to start to follow. Overall, though, I think I'll enjoy this.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #1896
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
Finished off Monster Hunter: Sinner. A fun listen. Next up, Fire Touched by Patricia Briggs. As one might tell, I really like to mix things up so I don't listen to too much of the same thing.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:41 AM   #1897
Catlady
Wizard
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip, jetBook Lite
Just wasted a good chunk of the last few days listening to The Detective's Daughter, by Lesley Thomson. What a disappointment! This sounded exactly like my cup of tea--after a police detective's death, his daughter delves into a thirty-year-old cold case he had failed to solve: the murder of a young mother out for a walk with her four-year-old son.

But, omigosh, if there's an award for boring, this book surely deserves to be a prime contender. Hour after hour after hour for more than sixteen hours, I forced myself to keep listening, thinking that perhaps it was time to abandon my stance against abandoning books without finishing them. But I stayed with it. And it never did get un-boring.

It would have been helped immensely by some ruthless cutting; spending less time with unlikable characters (all of them) could only have been a plus. And if there were supposed to be surprises along the way, they were duds, telegraphed way ahead of time and obvious to anyone who's ever read this type of book.

So disappointing! It's the first in a series, and the subsequent books all have intriguing blurbs too, but are likewise lengthy, and I am not going to be drawn into another snore-fest. Yuck!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations