Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
tkantor81
tkantor81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5
Metadata issue, CAPITALIZED names and covers are not displayed properly

Hello I have Kindle 4.1.1 and Calibre 2.3 and I have few issues.

1. Some mobi books in my Kindle have CAPITALIZED (uppercase) name or author. In Calibre it is right camel case, in metadata.opf it is correct too. What I should to do to force calibre show names and authors like in Calibre (Camel Case)?

2. Some mobi books in my Kindle do not have covers. In Calibre covers are displayed correctly. Why? How can I force Kindle to show them?

Thanks for help.
tkantor81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@tkantor81 - AFAIK, calibre only provides options to change Title and Authors to Upper, Lower, Swap, Title and Capitalise cases - right click in either when in edit mode and select Change Case.

This is what is most often called - camelCase (joined up and first word starts with lower case)

I'll defer the Kindle queries to someone who has one.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
In order to get calibre metadata changes to register, you must delete the book from your Kindle and re-add it. It is a moot point if you have dual-MOBI ebooks, which cannot be reliably updated, but you really only see those when you make them yourself.

Covers in MOBI are an irritation. The MOBI format is old enough that it doesn't support the cover metadata, what instead happens is the image is added as the first page in the book. The Kindle will display the first image in a MOBI as the cover.

calibre will usually update all metadata including covers, but not for a format that does not support said metadata. To do so, you would need to do a MOBI-to-MOBI conversion.

In general, I would recommend converting to AZW3, Amazon's next-generation Kindle format which support covers and CSS3, which can be edited directly by the calibre editor for book nerds and in general acts just like EPUB but with a different format container.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:10 AM   #4
tkantor81

Thank you for response, I am going to try it
Old 09-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
tkantor81

Some mobi ebooks still have upper case name or author in my Kindle. I checked metadata in Calibre, removed these books from kindle, restart kindle, and save these books back to Kindle, but still CAPITALIZED It looks like Kindle load ebook name and author from mobi directly, not from metadata. Is this true?
Old 09-21-2014, 12:33 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkantor81 View Post
Some mobi ebooks still have upper case name or author in my Kindle. I checked metadata in Calibre, removed these books from kindle, restart kindle, and save these books back to Kindle, but still CAPITALIZED It looks like Kindle load ebook name and author from mobi directly, not from metadata. Is this true?
The metadata is how author and title is stored in the file. calibre should be updating it, an the Kindle should be loading the updated metadata.

I don't know why it wouldn't, but you can try reconverting to AZW3 and sideloading that.

EDIT: Unless,... are you using the send-to-device button to add the books to the kindle, or copying them via the file browser? If you are using the file browser, don't.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-21-2014 at 12:36 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
covers, metadata, uppercase