Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch battery problem

Hello, I have a Kindle Touch whose battery indicator says that it is nearly drained after having charged it for a few hours. It say that it is fully charged or close to it immediately after charging but the next morning it looks like it is nearly drained without having been used and with all wireless off.

I've added a few books in the past few days but not many so I don't know if indexing is the cause here.

Could anyone please suggest a fix or is this a sign of impending device failure? Thanks.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Did you check to see if it is indexing? That is the most likely culprit in quick battery discharge. it only takes one corrupt file.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
I've added a few books in the past few days but not many so I don't know if indexing is the cause here.
Then check and see.

Go to the home page and do a search for a random string. If it comes back and says "X items not yet indexed", you have an indexing problem. Indexing will very quickly drain the battery.

Edited to add: Make sure that the search scope (the drop-down to the left of the search box) is set to "All Text" before you do the search.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-29-2014 at 06:50 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Another resource to help is batteriesplus.com, this company knows everything about batteries. Although I think the advice that you have gotten already is correct.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
where do you guys buy battery? ebay or somewhere? any seller to recommend?

Thanks
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:13 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Before buying a battery, did you check and see if you have an indexing problem?
Old 05-30-2014, 06:07 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Before buying a battery, did you check and see if you have an indexing problem?
Okay. I have a Touch and the battery has been going down much more quickly than it should -- thought I needed to replace the battery. I took your test. One of my books (a Public Domain book from Amazon) is still indexing -- it's been loaded for 2 or 3 weeks. I have no problem with this book on the other Kindles, including another Touch. I tried deleting and re-downloading the book and it's still indexing. Now that I know there is an issue here ... how do you fix it? As it turns out, I'm just about done reading this particular book ("The Idiot" by Dostoyevsky) so I could just remove it, but is there any way of either stopping the index process or finding out why it isn't indexing? Thanks.

EDIT: I need to make a correction here. I have the same book on the other Touch, but it's not the same version. The one on the other Touch is one that reformatted in Calibre so I could remove the spaces between paragraphs. But the Kindle Basic is using the same version of the book (but it's possible that the Kindle Basic indexes differently?)

At any rate, there's a difference. The Touch (the one without the index issue) is using a reformatted version of the book that was side-loaded. (Okay, I've downloaded the unrevised book from the Cloud and, at this point, have the index issue on it also.)

Last edited by rcentros; 05-30-2014 at 07:16 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Nope, looking at the logs will usually just help you pinpoint which book the indexer is spinning on, but nothing more.

Taking the 'kill it with fire' approach (clearing the index db (/mnt/us/system/...) & the catalog db (/var/local/cc.db) is the usual way to deal with this, when simply swapping/removing books doesn't do the trick. This has come up multiple times in the forum, feel free to launch a search with those keywords.

I'm of the mind that, if it decided to fall on its face, it will fall on its face, no matter what. So, while a different file *might* help, I usually just wipe it and let it rebuild from scratch.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-30-2014 at 11:58 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I tried pidgeon92's and HarryT's tips about indexing and the tips worked! I had indeed added a few books prior to the drastic battery discharge but I discovered that I had many many titles which hadn't been fully indexed. The Kindle Touch apparently indexes both samples and purchased content. I deleted/archived 40-50 titles and that fixed the problem.

One of the titles I archived was a graphic novel, one of those "Longer download time due to file size" items. I don't understand why an e-reader would attempt to make a word index of a graphic novel. Maybe that file was the culprit.

After archiving that title and many others, the battery is back to normal. Thank you!

Last edited by LovesMacs; 05-30-2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Incomplete post
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
After archiving that title and many others, the battery is back to normal. Thank you!
I'm very happy to hear it. I learn something new every day here. Just a quick question ... did this index issue only effect the Kindle Touch? I've got the same book on a Kindle Basic and it isn't having any index issue. I'm guessing, since the Touch has more features, this is why it's "touchier."

BTW, I wouldn't suggest "The Idiot" for anyone -- purely depressing. I've read two books by this author and that's enough. Maybe that's why the Touch was choking -- maybe it was trying to commit suicide.

EDIT: I just checked the second Touch and it did complete the indexing of this book. So maybe I just had a memory corruption issue or something on the first one. The second time I downloaded the book to the first Touch I probably just didn't wait long enough for it to complete its indexing.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-30-2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 05-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Indexing issues can affect any model Kindle, but they are relatively unusual. If you load books in small batches, and wait for one batch to finish indexing before loading more books, you're unlikely to have problems. Indexing goes a lot more quickly if the Kindle is connected to the wall charger.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:20 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Indexing issues can affect any model Kindle, but they are relatively unusual. If you load books in small batches, and wait for one batch to finish indexing before loading more books, you're unlikely to have problems. Indexing goes a lot more quickly if the Kindle is connected to the wall charger.
Okay, thanks. I guess I had just never ran into the problem before. Both Touch's successfully indexed the file -- which has (or will soon be) deleted on both devices. This is something I'll keep an outlook for -- especially if the battery seems to be going down too quickly.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:44 PM   #13
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Both Touch's successfully indexed the file -- which has (or will soon be) deleted on both devices. T
Perhaps the file was corrupted during the transfer to the device that was unable to index it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:00 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Perhaps the file was corrupted during the transfer to the device that was unable to index it.
I'm guessing it was something like that. Some kind of memory corruption. The file, itself, has turned out to be good and has successfully indexed on the same device (as a test). It makes me happy that I don't have to replace the battery. I had no clue indexing could be an issue in battery life on the Touch. Glad I read this thread.

Thanks to everyone.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Happy to help .

Tags
battery, kindle touch