Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins is the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy. Although this is a young adult series, there is nothing keeping it from being enjoyed by adults. This is another page turner, can't-put-it-down book. It ends on a cliff hanger (but not in a bad way) -- so I'm thrilled that the third book is coming out on the 24th of this month (I've already pre-ordered the kindle edition, only $8.45).

The action of the books revolve around a contest called the hunger games. It's a future society, kind post apocalyptic America called Panem that has a capital city surrounded by 13 districts, one of which was destroyed in an uprising of the districts against the capital. The contest is a fight to the death among children chosen by lot, a boy and a girl, from each district.

I don't want to speak more on the plotting as it would spoil some important elements for those who haven't read the first book. But I can say it's a book filled with interesting characters, great drama and wonderful plot twists.

Kind of take mad max, combine it with George Orwell's 1984, recast it as a kids book with the main characters being kids....through in a good dash of hollywood pagentry, and you have a good idea of the book. It's not particularly original, though it's certainly not tired and overdone. It's not particularly hard to guess where the plot will go. But it is wonderfully executed. You will care about the characters. You will feel heart ache and hope. And, for the youngsters, they will be given something to think about the nature of power and authority and the role of rebellion.

Highly recommended,

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I just finished reading The Hunger Games and Catching Fire last week on the recommendation of a friend. Enjoyed them a lot and can't wait for the final book to become available next Tuesday.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Have been waiting for a while for these to come out on epub. I see they are now available at kobo so will be off to use my $1 off coupon tonight.
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Just over a week left. There's going to be such a frenzy! Glad you had fun with book 2, leebase.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone read her Gregor series? Thoughts?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Nope, no Gregor series. I am sooooo happy Sony finally got her books at their store! I can't wait for Mockingjay to come out on Tuesday.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #7
namebrandon
Connoisseur
namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
Nope, no Gregor series. I am sooooo happy Sony finally got her books at their store! I can't wait for Mockingjay to come out on Tuesday.
It's out! I got emails from AMZ & BN already this morning. At least ebooks don't sell out!
namebrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Anyone found Mockingjay in epub other than Sony? Kobo who I have been using since Fictionwise circled the drain only has it for mobile and web not epub download!!

Mel
Old 08-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
I have the first two in pbooks. I wonder if any stores are doing the discount for them to get you to buy the 3rd one full price. I'm a fan and would like the whole collection in ebooks. Any idea?
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I didn't get it in pub, I ordered the kindle version,

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
Anyone found Mockingjay in epub other than Sony? Kobo who I have been using since Fictionwise circled the drain only has it for mobile and web not epub download!!

Mel
My Canadian Kobo site indicates it is available in ePub. Maybe check again?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:58 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
Maybe they were just slow putting it up, Kobo shows ePub now at least for me...
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Mocki...HLg/page1.html
Old 08-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
MelC
Evangelist

Thanks for your replies everyone. Kobo emailed me while I was sleeping to confirm that the epub was now available. Happy morning surprise which is now locked and loaded on my Sony while I try to resist reading it instead of working...

Mel
Old 08-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #14
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Don't know if all of you get it yet but Kobo is doing a one dollar off deal. See thread for detail.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95972

Happy reading!
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote