Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 03:44 AM   #1
nbdarvin
nbdarvin began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo
Lightbulb Gtk frontend for Calibre

Hello,
I want to improve my programming skills and looking for great project to collaborate, so I want make gtk+ HIG-compliance Calibre port. I looking for mentor, that know much about Calibre internals. I plan use calibre as library
nbdarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
nbdarvin

at first, i need simple snippet of code to print all entryes in current library, for example.
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
A good place to learn about the interface to the database is in the file

calibre/library/cli.py

which implements a simple command line interface to the database.

Then look at the files

calibre/gui2/library.py

and

calibre/library/database2.py
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Why would you need to create a GTK front end to Calibre. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Qt is already able to emulate GTK thems & styles.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbdarvin View Post
I want make gtk+ HIG-compliance Calibre port.
Seriously, what's the point of that? Linux users seem obsessed with this GTK vs. Qt war. Since both can be made to look like the other (QtCurve, QGtkStyle etc.), it all seems like such a waste of energy.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Seriously, what's the point of that? Linux users seem obsessed with this GTK vs. Qt war. Since both can be made to look like the other (QtCurve, QGtkStyle etc.), it all seems like such a waste of energy.
There is a lot more to just how they look. GTK and Qt apps behave differently. There are also differences in the overall design due to differing philosophies of their respective HIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbdarvin
I want to improve my programming skills and looking for great project to collaborate, so I want make gtk+ HIG-compliance Calibre port.
As someone who prefers the design of Gnome apps, I say go for it. However, I personally despise working with GTK and absolutely love Qt.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
nbdarvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
A good place to learn about the interface to the database is in the file

calibre/library/cli.py

which implements a simple command line interface to the database.

Then look at the files

calibre/gui2/library.py

and

calibre/library/database2.py
thanks!