Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-16-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
Joseph Allen
Joseph Allen began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Calibre Incompatibility with Windows 10

My PC had operating issues and I had it reset itself to a clean installation of Windows 10 Home, which also deleted all my installed applications. I reinstalled the latest version of Calibre, which did not associate itself with the book file types (epub, mobi, etc). Windows used Edge as the default for epub and has no default for mobi. I tried to reassign both file types to use Calibre as the default application, but Windows 10 only allowed me to use apps from the Microsoft store - which does not include Calibre. The old capability of Windows 10 to search the hard drive for an app to associate with a file type is no longer there. Microsoft tech support said that this is not their problem, it is a data issue.

How can I change the default application for the book file types to Calibre? Does Calibre need to implement an enhancement to allow it to be associated with file types, over writing the Windows defaults? Please help!
Joseph Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have no problem getting Calibre associated with all the ebook file formats I want on the latest Windows 10. I still have the option to browse for local programs to handle a file type - not sure why you should not be seeing this.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Allen View Post
I tried to reassign both file types to use Calibre as the default application, but Windows 10 only allowed me to use apps from the Microsoft store - which does not include Calibre.
I seem to recall seeing a setting somewhere in Win 10 that might control that.

Yeah ask Cortana about 'only allow ms store apps' and you'll get a lot of links. It's in the apps and features settings. Mine flipped from off to on for some unknown reason a week or two back; it would not let me install something.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-16-2018 at 11:05 PM. Reason: added red text
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #4
Joseph Allen

I found the switch you describe to allow installation of apps from other than the Microsoft store, and it is turned on. I can install Calibre on my pc, but I can not associate it with the ebook file types. When I try to change the association to point to Calibre, it only provides the option to get an app from the store. There must be another way - I want Calibre back!
Old 02-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How are you trying to set up the associations?

The way I do it is...

1. Run Windows Explorer
2. Navigate to the file you want to associate
3. Right click the file and select Open With
4. Select Choose another app
5. Check Always use this app to open .epub files (or whatever file type your file is)
6. Select More apps
7. Select Look for another app on this PC
8. Navigate to the Calibre eBook viewer
9. Once you've navigated to the Calibre directory, select ebook-viewer.exe
10. Click Open
11. Done
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...s-for-it-pros/ is an interesting read
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Here is how to have the ultimate Control Panel (included in Windows) to have all the settings in one old-style Control Panel screen:

Do the following to create a God Mode icon (search Google for God Mode, if you'd like):

Right-click on your desktop and create a new folder (or click your desktop and then hit ctrl-shift-N to create a new folder).

Paste the following into the line for the folder name (before you hit ENTER on the new folder):

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Now you can hit ENTER.

Click on the new icon (it should be blue, like the Control Panel icon) and scroll down to File Explorer Options.

Click on "Change the file type associated with a file extension."

At this point, you should be familiar with what you're looking at. Find mobi or epub or whatever you want to change, and proceed from there.

Keep the God Mode icon on your desktop for future use to access all the older versions of many settings.

Last edited by deback; 02-17-2018 at 08:34 AM.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:16 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Allen View Post
I found the switch you describe to allow installation of apps from other than the Microsoft store, and it is turned on. I can install Calibre on my pc, but I can not associate it with the ebook file types. When I try to change the association to point to Calibre, it only provides the option to get an app from the store. There must be another way - I want Calibre back!
If all else fails, try Nir Sofer's File Types Manager

Be careful with it though, its easy to screw things up and make them even worse. I would advise taking a System Restore point before you use it, then if something goes awry you can restore your system to that state. Should only take a couple of minutes.

BR
Old 02-17-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
Joseph Allen

God Mode is Amazing and did the job

Deback, Thank you for the recommendation to use God Mode. It is an amazing feature and it allowed me to do the file associations that I needed. The easy level of control that it provides over so many things is really amazing (which I already said). Everyone should check it out. Thank you again.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #10
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, and you're welcome, Joseph. I agree that the God Mode link is an amazing feature that everyone should have on their desktop, but very few people know about it. I found out about it a couple of years ago, and since Windows 10 has omitted so many of the old setting screens, I use it quite often.

Deb
Old 02-17-2018, 05:02 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

The God Mode shortcut has been available since Vista, it's also known as the Windows Master Control Panel shortcut.

BR
Old 02-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thing is, you don't need God Mode. The directions I posted are very simple and work. In fact, the way God Mode does it is the same way. Plus, the to do it means you don't need God Mode when you find a file you want associated.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #13
deback
Book E d i t o r

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thing is, you don't need God Mode. The directions I posted are very simple and work. In fact, the way God Mode does it is the same way. Plus, the to do it means you don't need God Mode when you find a file you want associated.
The God Mode shortcut gives you a quick way to get to all the settings without having to find out the instructions on how to change various settings. It's a positive thing, not a negative thing, to have on your desktop.

Who will be next to post negative comments here?
Old 02-17-2018, 06:31 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

And when you are trying to setup an association on a computer that you don't have God Mod on, it's good to know what to do.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #15
deback
Book E d i t o r

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thing is, you don't need God Mode.
I think everyone should have a God Mode shortcut on their desktop to make it much easier to have the classic settings back. Microsoft changed the Control Panel and the Win-Key-I settings screens in Windows 10 drastically and omitted several of the classic settings. The God Mode shortcut will save lots of time in the future, if you take a few seconds to add the shortcut to your desktop.

Tags
calibre, file association, god mode, windows 10