Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #1
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: none
Termux on Onyx Boox Max 2 (and Note?)

Termux:

an Android terminal emulator and Linux environment app that works directly with no rooting

seems to work on Onyx Boox Max 2 devices -- I presume that the same will hold on the Note devices too. (IIUC, the minimum requirements for Termux are currently Android 5.x.)

Example installation and use:
  1. Install termux and hacker's keyboard (e.g. via f-droid)
  2. Start termux
  3. Pinch zoom to adjust font size

For getting git, vim, and emacs to work:
  1. Start termux
  2. Install by: pkg install git vim emacs

For getting python and jupyter to work:
  1. Start termux
  2. Install wget and gnupg2: pkg install wget gnupg2
  3. Get repository setup script: wget https://its-pointless.github.io/setup-pointless-repo.sh
  4. Run script: bash setup-pointless-repo.sh
  5. Install some termux packages: pkg install scipy numpy clang python-dev fftw libzmq libzmq-dev freetype freetype-dev libpng libpng-dev pkg-config
  6. Install some bits via pip: LDFLAGS=" -lm -lcompiler_rt" pip install matplotlib pandas jupyter
Step 6 kept failing here due to network issues but breaking the command up into three pieces seemed to work better.

For browser access to a jupyter notebook, haven't had luck with IceCat, but Lightning seems to work fine.

For jupyter notebook extensions:
  1. Start termux
  2. Install libxml2-dev and libxslt-dev: pkg install libxml2-dev libxslt-dev
  3. Set up work-around symlink: ln -S $PREFIX/include/libxml2/libxml $PREFIX/include/libxml
  4. Install extensions via pip: LDFLAGS=" -lm -lcompiler_rt" pip install jupyter_contrib_nbextensions
  5. Copy .js and .css: jupyter contrib nbextensions install --user

--------

On a related note, I had problems while installing python(-dev?):

PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/'

on a rather different device, but found a work-around at:

I believe it was:

$PREFIX/bin/python -m ensurepip --upgrade --default-pip

--------

References:

https://wiki.termux.com/wiki/Package...e_the_dream.29
http://www.leouieda.com/blog/scipy-on-android.html
http://jupyter-contrib-nbextensions....t/install.html
https://github.com/termux/termux-packages/issues/1142

Last edited by sogaiu; 01-21-2018 at 06:04 AM. Reason: updated to include jupyter notebook extensions instructions
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #2
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
Great news! Thanks! Did you try to install python`s pip, numpy and scipy?
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #3
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

If I understand your question and the python package for termux correctly, yes.

Currently installing termux's python leads to installing pip, and step 5 of 'getting python and jupyter to work' involves installing numpy and scipy using pip.

To confirm some level of 'working' I just started up python and did 'import scipy; import numpy'. Seemed to work fine
Old 01-12-2018, 01:56 AM   #4
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
This is amazing! It means that scientific computations are possible on Max2 Of course probably nothing too computationally intensive but for prototyping should be enough!

I read a post somewhere that they managed to install jupyter on android but visualization packages like matplotib didn`t work. Did you try creating some diagrams in jupyter?
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:39 AM   #5
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
This is amazing! It means that scientific computations are possible on Max2 Of course probably nothing too computationally intensive but for prototyping should be enough!
That wae already established when I posted that Octave works. I am pretty sure I posted a screentshot.

Speed, it is a non-small fraction of your desktop: half if you do not update frequently, even closer if you use weak processors (Atom etc. - mentioned sust for the sake of it).
Of course, no CUDA ; )
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
alcedo
Enthusiast
alcedo doesn't litteralcedo doesn't litter

Device: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogaiu View Post
Termux:

an Android terminal emulator and Linux environment app that works directly with no rooting

seems to work on Onyx Boox Max 2 devices -- I presume that the same will hold on the Note devices too. (IIUC, the minimum requirements for Termux are currently Android 5.x.)
What size is basic termux? We have only 32GB.
alcedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:17 PM   #7
sogaiu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
I read a post somewhere that they managed to install jupyter on android but visualization packages like matplotib didn`t work. Did you try creating some diagrams in jupyter?
I tried something like the following with successful output:

Quote:
%matplotlib inline

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np
x = np.linspace(0, 30)
line, = plt.plot(x, np.sin(x), '--')
(code adapted from: https://stackoverflow.com/a/34222212)

There is something that's awkward here using a Jupyter notebook though -- when one is in command mode (as compared to edit mode), the on-screen keyboard is not displayed...
Old 01-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #8
sogaiu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcedo View Post
What size is basic termux? We have only 32GB.
I'm not sure how to assess the size, but FWIW, with the packages mentioned above:

Quote:
du -s /data/data/com.termux
gives 1908928.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
alcedo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogaiu View Post
[*]Pinch zoom to adjust font size
Works great thanks.
I prefer 16greyscale or black&white from stylings package.
I wonder if there is another possibility for zooming with finer granularity,
to exactly fit e.g. vim window width.
Also wondering how it would be possible to rotate it 90°.

Also would be nice to have a virtual keyboard that features meta keys
and offers for example CTRL + whatever combinations. Is it possible to substitute
built in keyboard with something else?
I've no experience with android.

Last edited by alcedo; 01-18-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #10
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Bluetooth keyboard is much better than on screen touch keyboard. I only use on screen keyboard when only option.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:12 AM   #11
sogaiu
Addict

Quote:
Works great thanks.
I prefer 16greyscale or black&white from stylings package.
Those are nice -- hadn't scrolled far enough to see them. Thanks for pointing them out

Quote:
I wonder if there is another possibility for zooming with finer granularity,
to exactly fit e.g. vim window width.
I don't know of a way, but it sounds nice if possible.

Quote:
Also wondering how it would be possible to rotate it 90°.
I'd like an easier way to do this for the whole device -- right now I'm resorting to abusing settings from ReLaunchX or using MX Player or VLC to get the orientation to change.

Quote:
and offers for example CTRL + whatever combinations. Is it possible to substitute built in keyboard with something else?
"Hacker's Keyboard" (mentioned above) is working ok for me. Have you tried that?
Old 01-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #12
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
and offers for example CTRL + whatever combinations. Is it possible to substitute
built in keyboard with something else?
I've no experience with android.
Aptly named "Hacker's keyboard" (org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard) has CTRL, ALT and META, together with the full plethora of keys like Esc and F#.

Find the apk, install it and manage the keyboards from the Language Settings.

On Android, you can have any "rub your elbow for A, while sneezing for B, slower for C" keyboard.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #13
alcedo
Enthusiast

Thanks for pointing to hacker's keyboard, it's great, even has neo layout.
So it's possible to navigate in vim without external keyboard.

The keyboard has a dark theme, and I guess it cannot be changed, but it's acceptable, though I would prefer a light one.

It's possible to hide the keyboard (independent which one) by pressing the back button.
If termux shows console keyboard is returning after screen is touched, but not so in vim.
To bring it back currently I switch to multi-tasking window and then back to termux.
It would be more efficient if there is another way to activate the keyboard in an application.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #14
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
To bring it back currently I switch to multi-tasking window and then back to termux.
It would be more efficient if there is another way to activate the keyboard in an application.
Strange,
an Android keyboard is summoned as one taps on a text input field.
It is possible that the software implements a non standard control and did not properly implement that side.
Try other tricks - double tap etc.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #15
alcedo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Strange,
an Android keyboard is summoned as one taps on a text input field.
It is possible that the software implements a non standard control and did not properly implement that side.
Try other tricks - double tap etc.
Single tap would relocate the cursor in the editor window,
double tap strangely switches to visual mode, and single
tapping again goes back to normal. No way to trigger
keyboard so far, but that's a question for the devs if I have time.
Tapping is caught by vim obviously.
EDIT: https://termux.com/touch-keyboard.html
It's not working for me with the vol buttons now, but I
prefer them to be page turners anyway. For most apps
that requires to long tap on the icon in applications
menu and then choose "Apps Optimize Setting", uncheck
"Use page key as volume key". It's a little
bit annoying to do that for every downloaded app.
[ Just to check I added Hacker's Keyboard to homescreen
and now I don't know how to remove it from there again].

Checked some file managers from f-droid, the most appealing
one is Dir, because he has greyscale mode, and automatically
uses 3 columns with increased font size. Tiny font size is the
biggest problem with most apps. Sadly by now I have no idea how to
do cut/paste/rename/delete actions with this one.

bVNC for example is good at forcing landscape mode, but the
keyboard is way to big then, utilizing 1/3 of screen or so.
x11vnc is really the most easy way to get it running. I hadn't
time to read the whole monitor thread so far, are you sharing
your startup options/config anywhere? I just would use it
over encrypted home lan.

Last edited by alcedo; 01-19-2018 at 05:34 PM.