Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 09-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #1
Blrp
Blrp began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there a tool to fix improperly-formatted epubs?

I created an ebook using this online url-to-epub tool, then edited it to not look horrible using Calibre. When I try to upload it to My Books on Google Play, it says "processing failed". I used this epub validator tool and it finds a bunch of errors (e.g. Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "version" or "xml:lang"), yet the file reads just fine in Calibre.

Is there some tool that leaves the contents untouched but fixes the file so that it's properly formatted and can be read by programs that are more picky than Calibre?
Attached Files
File Type: epub Life of Homer - Pseudo-Herodotus.epub (98.5 KB, 302 views)
Blrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blrp View Post
I created an ebook using this online url-to-epub tool, then edited it to not look horrible using Calibre. When I try to upload it to My Books on Google Play, it says "processing failed". I used this epub validator tool and it finds a bunch of errors (e.g. Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "version" or "xml:lang"), yet the file reads just fine in Calibre.

Is there some tool that leaves the contents untouched but fixes the file so that it's properly formatted and can be read by programs that are more picky than Calibre?
Install the epubcheck editor plugin for Calibre. Then you can check for errors. You can click on the error messages to go to where the errors are and then fix them. It's running the latest epubcheck.

The online validator is worthless because it's not running the latest epubcheck. The plugin uses the latest epubcheck and is updated much faster when a new version comes out.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-12-2019 at 09:24 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #3
Blrp
Blrp began at the beginning.

Device: none
I don't know how to fix all these errors. I understand just enough to be able to use trial and error to remove things that make the book look like shit.
Blrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Your books look like s**t probably because you are starting with a crap, free tool.

Find a better method for turning web pages into books.

You could try the send to kindle plugin, then convert kindle to epub, or saving the (simplified view if possible) web page in various convertible formats. Or a simple cut and paste into word, then save as docx and convert that after tweaking it to look good.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, validation