Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 11:52 PM   #31
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I watched a documentary series about the history of the English Language a few years ago from the BBC, "The Adventure of the English Language" by Melvyn Bragg in which he explained that in the past 500 years the place where English has changed the least is in the southern USA. Given that it might be said that our spelling and pronunciation is more correct than anyone else's.

Of course he also mentioned that the majority of English speakers in the world today live in India so if we took a vote I guess it would be the way they spell and pronounce.

My spelling has always been terrible but I'm just narcissistic enough to think I'm always right so those of you who spell correctly might want change your ways.

Barry
The eBook of Bragg's "Adventure" was on sale not long ago. I'm halfway through it, and I've learned a great deal! Recommended!

https://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Eng...dp/B06XQ823N3/
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:29 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Just to toss in my nickel's worth.

<start grammar rant>
Advise is a verb. I would advise you that that course of action is not going to give the desired result.

Advice is a noun. My advice to you is that you find a better dictionary.

So I advise the original suggestion about the title of this thread was correct. The OP is looking for advice though we can advise him.
<end grammar rant>

As for the original question, my opinion is that purchasing a Kindle and then removing DRM from library books to format change them is not acceptable behaviour.

Your moral compass may vary.

Edit: As I was just told in a PM, I'm being a hypocrite. I don't think that being willing to remove DRM from books to which I can claim ownership (liscensee-ship?) but not being willing to remove DRM from a borrowed book is hypocritical. Simply put, one is mine, the other isn't.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." --James D. Nicoll

Last edited by DNSB; 11-15-2017 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Added edit, added quote
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2017, 05:32 PM   #33
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

<start grammar rant>
Advise is a verb. I would advise you that that course of action is not going to give the desired result.

So I advise the original suggestion about the title of this thread was correct. The OP is looking for advice though we can advise him.
<end grammar rant>

As for the original question, my opinion is that purchasing a Kindle and then removing DRM from library books to format change them is not acceptable behaviour.

Edit: As I was just told in a PM, I'm being a hypocrite. I don't think that being willing to remove DRM from books to which I can claim ownership (liscensee-ship?) but not being willing to remove DRM from a borrowed book is hypocritical. Simply put, one is mine, the other isn't.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." --James D. Nicoll
As to the library book question, I don't believe that it's a problem to remove DRM from the book as long as you delete it from your reader as soon as you finish it.

If you are like Harry, and don't believe that people will ever delete the book after reading, then I'm happy to have to tell you that you are wrong, and there really are good and honest people in the world. I hope that someday you meet some of them.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #34
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:

I certainly don't think you are being a hypocrite. We don't agree on the morality side of removing drm from library books in certain circumstances, but that does not itself make either you or I a hypocrite. Nor does the fact that we both agree removing DRM from our purchased ebooks is acceptable.

As for the English language, it should and does largely look after itself, and that will not change. It is a vibrant, dynamic living thing. However, that doesn't mean that we should not discuss instances such as this. It is desirable for the sake of clarity if nothing else to use the correct form of a word. But it is neither compulsory nor protected from any change.

One of the things that I initially found irritating but now accept is the use of the word "not" as a whole sentence to negative the previous statement or statements. As in "I find all politicians scrupulously honest. Not!" Initially used by younger people I found it quite jarring. I think it is now quite common, and on reflection this is not a bad thing. I finally used it myself for the first time yesterday!

Last edited by darryl; 11-15-2017 at 07:40 PM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #35
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

<start grammar rant>

<end grammar rant>

What is a cribhouse?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2017, 09:03 PM   #36
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:

<start grammar rant>

<end grammar rant>
Of course it may have been that the OP just left a comma out by mistake i.e. the thread title was actually New ereader, advise. In which case the use of advise is correct.

In fact, as I am not a grammar policeman, my being more interested in linguistics, that is what I had assumed was intended.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #37
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Of course it may have been that the OP just left a comma out by mistake i.e. the thread title was actually New ereader, advise. In which case the use of advise is correct.

In fact, as I am not a grammar policeman, my being more interested in linguistics, that is what I had assumed was intended.
I was thinking new ereader advise please.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:15 PM   #38
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I was thinking new ereader advise please.
Yes, I were a-thinking 'long simila' lines an' didn'a automatically look for'm to have done messed up.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:11 AM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
As to the library book question, I don't believe that it's a problem to remove DRM from the book as long as you delete it from your reader as soon as you finish it.

If you are like Harry, and don't believe that people will ever delete the book after reading, then I'm happy to have to tell you that you are wrong, and there really are good and honest people in the world. I hope that someday you meet some of them.

Shari
I'lll have to dig out Uncle Diogenes old lantern and see if it still works.

I like to believe that I would start out with the best of intentions but as Oscar Wilde phrased it, I can resist anything except temptation so I suspect I would start finding justifications for not deleting a book right now. So much easier not to head down the road of good intentions.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:30 AM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
What is a cribhouse?
An old word for a brothel, usually a low class brothel (see nunnery). Some small-minded people have complained that my vocabulary is a century or more out of date.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #41
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
An old word for a brothel, usually a low class brothel (see nunnery). Some small-minded people have complained that my vocabulary is a century or more out of date.
And brothel is such a new word.
It's ok on your vocabulary. My hair would have been in fashion at Woodstock.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #42
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
And brothel is such a new word.
It's ok on your vocabulary. My hair would have been in fashion at Woodstock.
It is not the age of the word that matters. It is the age when it became a word that could be used in polite society.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kindle vs kobo, kobo