Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-28-2017, 11:13 PM   #1
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
eBook Readers for Linux

Are there any ebook readers for Linux that:
* Add swathes of books at a time;
* Utilize the books where they currently reside;

Ideally, it would slurp up my entire Calibre library in one swoop.

I tried FBReader, but killed it 48 hours later, because the only thing that seemed to be happening, was the "I am working" spinner running at 100% CPU.

I looked at Cool Reader, but it expects me to import books one at a time. I have neither the time, nor the patience to do that.

Hoping this is the appropriate place to ask.

Amber
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:38 AM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post

I tried FBReader, but killed it 48 hours later, because the only thing that seemed to be happening, was the "I am working" spinner running at 100% CPU.

I looked at Cool Reader, but it expects me to import books one at a time. I have neither the time, nor the patience to do that.

Amber
I don't get what you are trying to do exactly if you want to read on linux why not just use calibre to read.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2017, 02:02 AM   #3
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
You can get Calibre here: https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

I use it on Ubuntu.
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Amber
Why not use Calibre's ebook reader?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

That's exactly what you'd get with Calibre's eBook reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2017, 01:16 AM   #6
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Why not use Calibre's ebook reader?
I do use Calibre's ebook reader.

What I'm looking for is a second ebook reader program on the desktop.

Amber
Old 09-01-2017, 01:24 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

I don't know what other ebook readers there are for Linux, but I'm not sure why you want it to import all the books. Would one that you could start from calibre instead of the calibre viewer do what you want?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:18 AM   #8
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I am happy with Okular.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #9
SilverBear
ἄρκτος ὁ Μέγας
SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Quote:

Amber
Hi, Amber.
I don't know what Linux distro you use. Myself, I'm in the process of switching my main OS to Debian 9. But I've been using LinuxMint 18.2 for a good while. (That's compatible with Ubuntu 16.04.)

When I want to read an ebook on my computer instead of on my e-reader, I just double-click on the book file. It automatically launches calibre's E-book Reader utility which is a stand-alone program. It doesn't fire up the whole nine yards of database function --the main calibre program. It's very compact and still nicely customizable.

If you haven't discovered/tried this, please do. It's better than anything else I've seen, including Ocular (although Ocular is good for a pdf book).
SilverBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:35 PM   #10
Fiat_Lux
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
When I want to read an ebook on my computer instead of on my e-reader, I just double-click on the book file.
What I'm trying to do, is have half a dozen ebooks open on the desktop, at the same point in time, and be able to switch between them.

Manually wading through the library created by Calibre is hazardous to the library.

Amber
Old 11-12-2017, 09:18 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Manually wading through the library created by Calibre is hazardous to the library.
Manually wading through the library created by calibre is not hazardous to the library. Making changes when wading through the library is the problem.

And personally, double-clicking on a book in the calibre interface to open it is much faster than wading through the calibre library directories.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #12
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
For me, Lucidor is very sympa. It's the ebook equivalent of Viewnior (a minimalist pic viewer).
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:18 AM   #13
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I noticed that you said you want the capability to read 5 or 6 books at a time without too much hassle. Technically, you can already do that on Calibre (I am a Debian Linux user and my husband is a Debian Developer).

The little "book wearing eyeglasses" icon where it says "read books" has a drop-down menu with a history of the last 15 books read in your history, so you wouldn't have to go through a lot of hassle to find the titles you have on the go.

I actually do read this way from time to time. I toggle between at least 3-4 books. I've also had more than one book reading window open at a time.

If I am at my computer, I don't feel the need to fish out my kindle when Calibre is sitting right in front of me. For a Desktop e-Book manager and reader, it's a brilliant piece of software. I am a long time fan.

I am unsure if you have tried this because I have not seen it mentioned yet, so I thought I'd mention it.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 11-25-2017 at 06:23 AM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote