Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-23-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Thriller cover feedback?

#1[IMG][/IMG]

#2 [IMG][/IMG]
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Really?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nothing in either cover works for me. The bit of the back of the chair we can see looks odd. The girl looks pasted in. The title is in the middle of the book. Both have a very bland expression.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-23-2017 at 05:56 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nothing in either cover work for me. The bit of the back of the chair we can see looks odd. The girl looks pasted in. The title is in the middle of the book. Both have a very bland expression.
Thanks for the additional words Jon. My brain was at a loss.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I wouldn't give a damn about either of those unpleasant-looking people.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
Old 08-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback!
Hey! What about my feedback??!!!????!!!!!?????!!!! Uh???!!!!

I don't like the hair that separates the girl's upper lip, because the rest of that hair is not easily discernible. It looks like a defect in the printing. For me, this makes her lips look dry, unpleasant and needlessly swollen in appearance.

The chair acts as a divider and is very distracting to the overall image.

The man's jowls look flabby. I want to box them back-and-forth, just to see if I can get an expression on his face. I've seen bricks with more animation.

What about punctuation? How is the title written on the copyright page? Like this, below?

I Love You I Kill You

I would suggest some punctuation in order to clarify the title.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-24-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
It looks like a true crime cover not a novel cover.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:14 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The more I see the title, the more I see poor grammar.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:16 AM   #10
toddhicks209
Enthusiast
toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think your title and cover are compelling. I didn't even give the characters' appearance a second thought.
toddhicks209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #11
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Personally, I don't like "real people" on book covers. An artist's rendering is one thing, but pictures of real people always remind me of book covers that use movie/televison tie-ins, which I despise.

The man in this cover isn't scary, he just looks like a grumpy constipated Brando wanna-be. The girl looks pensive, not scared.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Personally, I don't like "real people" on book covers. An artist's rendering is one thing, but pictures of real people always remind me of book covers that use movie/televison tie-ins, which I despise.

The man in this cover isn't scary, he just looks like a grumpy constipated Brando wanna-be. The girl looks pensive, not scared.

"....grumpy constipated Brando wanna-be..."

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:51 PM   #13
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Hey! What about my feedback??!!!????!!!!!?????!!!! Uh???!!!!

I don't like the hair that separates the girl's upper lip, because the rest of that hair is not easily discernible. It looks like a defect in the printing. For me, this makes her lips look dry, unpleasant and needlessly swollen in appearance.

The chair acts as a divider and is very distracting to the overall image.

The man's jowls look flabby. I want to box them back-and-forth, just to see if I can get an expression on his face. I've seen bricks with more animation.

What about punctuation? How is the title written on the copyright page? Like this, below?

I Love You I Kill You

I would suggest some punctuation in order to clarify the title.
Thanks Doctor. Good point about the punctuation.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #14
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
It looks like a true crime cover not a novel cover.
Thanks Lemurion
Old 08-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #15
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhicks209 View Post
I think your title and cover are compelling. I didn't even give the characters' appearance a second thought.
Thank you Todd!