Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
How many shades of grayscale does the Forma have?

How many shades of black/grayscale does the Forma have?

White = is one color
Black = another color
How many levels of gray are there in between completely black and completely white?

I need this info to figure out, when I convert full-color comic books or images (for the purpose of saving space on my forma), what number to use in the blank for "maximum colors".

Thanks!
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:37 PM   #2
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Can't say for the Forma, but experiments I did a long time ago on a Kobo Mini indicated that 16 levels of grey could be displayed though not necessarily discerned by the eye.
There is a fairly narrow contrast range on e-Ink screens, though it will improve with a frontlight.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
DomesticExtremis, thanks for your quick reply.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
16 shades of gray, with an even stride of 0x11 (i.e., 0x00, 0x11, 0x22, 0x33, 0x44, 0x55, 0x66, 0x77, 0x88, 0x99, 0xAA, 0xBB, 0xCC, 0xDD, 0xEE, 0xFF), like every B&W eInk screen since the Pearl days.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-13-2019 at 10:22 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
One thing I'll add, the Kobo Forma, (and indeed, every model of Kobo over the past 5 years, excluding the Aura One.) does a *really* good job of dithering with cbz files. I would not bother downscaling the colour at all, or at most, reduce to greyscale to reduce file size.

I exclude the Aura One because, for some reason, even though they all have the same firmware, I can clearly see the dithering pattern with the naked eye on that one. Not sure if I could get better results with by downscaling the colours myself, but it still looks great for most B&W Content.

Last edited by rashkae; 10-14-2019 at 11:46 AM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@rashkae: That's because the Forma (and other Mk. 7 devices) support hardware dithering, and it's indeed pretty decent (still slightly more obvious than a good 8x8 matrix (or a good error diffusion algo), but, pretty decent, and essentially free, which pretty much trumps any other concerns given how serviceable it is). Nickel's own isn't half-bad, but is hobbled by various legacy reasons, a visible consequence of that being a more obvious pattern.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-14-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #7
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@rashkae: That's because the Forma (and other Mk. 7 devices) support hardware dithering, and it's indeed pretty decent (still slightly more obvious than a good 8x8 matrix (or a good error diffusion algo), but, pretty decent, and essentially free, which pretty much trumps any other concerns given how serviceable it is). Nickel's own isn't half-bad, but is hobbled by various legacy reasons, a visible consequence of that being a more obvious pattern.
The strange thing though.. both my Mark 5 H20, (I no longer have, so can't compare with latest firmware) and Mark 6 H20 do a better job of invisibly dithering than the Aura One,, even though they are lower resolution devices... and I would say, they are also both better than the 7th Gen Clara HD... (The Clara HD has this weird effect of creating diagonal bands of different shading on high resolution images, that leaves a faint but visible pattern.)

Last edited by rashkae; 10-14-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@rashkae: I was going to say that one can play with the hardware dithering settings and/or input to make the pattern more obvious, and in particular thanks to how processing is highly vectorized, that can translate in visible, wide vertical stripes .

(You may be talking about much narrower vertical "stripy" patterns, though, and that would just be the pattern induced by the matrix).

If you have a Mk. 7 on hand, you can switch between HW & SW dithering in KOReader. Except we're using the kickass matrix ported from ImageMagick, so it kinda rocks .

----

Also keep in mind that dithering patterns have an extremely adverse effect on eInk ghosting, in that they basically feed each-other in a loop, so you may want to take that into account when making comparisons (i.e., start from a flash to white).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-14-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo's software dithering is better then Amazon's.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #10
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo's software dithering is better then Amazon's.
Hilariously untrue (especially for your beloved epubs) but at least it doesn't look horrible anymore, and the large forma screen more than makes up for it

Last edited by rashkae; 10-14-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:45 PM   #11
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@rashkae: I was going to say that one can play with the hardware dithering settings and/or input to make the pattern more obvious, and in particular thanks to how processing is highly vectorized, that can translate in visible, wide vertical stripes .
You're right.. they are vertical.. I don't know why I was thinking diagonal.

The matrix is only visible to me, without artificial magnification, on the H20 2nd edition.. But I have to *really* try.

Last edited by rashkae; 10-14-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:31 AM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, for devices with no HW dithering, you can take a screenshot and look at it on an LCD screen, that'll preserve Nickel's funky pattern, and it'll likely be much more obvious there than on eInk.

(And by "screenshot", I mean ideally an fbgrab, because Nickel's screenshot feature used to do extra funky stuff on some devices. This *may* no longer be the case, though, because why would I bother with that clunky feature when I can play with fbgrab over CLI? ;p [meaning I haven't tried it in over two years]).

But HW dithering doesn't affect the fb content, so, you'll only be able to eyeball it the old fashioned way .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-15-2019 at 12:34 AM.