Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #76
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I think Cumbria is a very long way from London! I mean culturally rather than in terms of actual distance.

I see what you mean issybird about the setting feeling like an earlier time. I do think though that despite the tourism (which would only happen in the short summer) that the locals would have led a fairly isolated life in the time before the internet.

Assuming the school was consistently bad, and if, say, dyslexia was in the mix, I can well believe that people not interested in reading would be barely literate.

The grandfather was presumably the right age to be sent to the war, but could have been ruled out either because farming was an essential service, or perhaps because of some physical thing following his illness.

All guesswork on my part of course. But I suppose I’m saying I find it believable that an area like that would be at least a generation behind other parts of England in the whole way of life.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:25 PM   #77
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Thanks Bookworm_Girl for the additional background. I wondered if Rebanks was an economist. It’s very interesting to hear his later reflections on the book, and how it was, in part, his gift to his father.

Thanks too for the great websites. I love how the Lake District refers to ‘cultural visitors’ rather than ‘tourists’. It emphasizes the importance of world heritage sites, and at the same time, is very respectful to the people who visit them. I know there are good reasons to be wary of tourists, but many travellers are conscious and thoughtful about the impact they make. And I must say, the photos are stunning!

issybird I felt I was reading about another era too. I think Bookpossum has it right when she talks about the cultural distance from London. You can feel it in his brief descriptions of being at Oxford and in the city.

Last edited by Victoria; 09-22-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #78
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Here are a few photos that I took from my visit to Matterdale with my friend who grew up there. My photos are taken from Little Mell Fell. Rebanks farms on Great Mell Fell. She reckons her farm is about 3 miles from his farm. The water is Ullswater Lake, the second largest lake in the Lakes District, which he mentions in the book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheep1.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	830.4 KB
ID:	173648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheep2.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	173649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ullswater.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	917.3 KB
ID:	173650  
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:52 PM   #79
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was May, and there were sheep everywhere throughout Northern England. Here they are hanging out at the forts along Hadrian's Wall which is just a little further north of the Lake District. No big deal. The walls are ancient history. The sheep are ancient history. Time moves on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall1.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	173654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall2.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	173655  
Old 09-22-2019, 11:12 PM   #80
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks Bookworm_Girl - lovely to see, and you had good weather, which of course isn't always the case up there!

I have had a feeling that much of our discussion about farming communities, education and so on, was reminding me of something. I have realised that it was a French documentary made in about 2002 called Etre et Avoir (To Be and To Have) filmed over the course of a year in a one teacher primary school in rural France. It's a delightful film and showed the pupils both at school and in their homes.

In one case, there was a boy who was struggling with his school work and he was shown with his family at home in the farmhouse where several adults were as puzzled as he was over his homework - mathematics from memory. But we also saw him working on the farm, handling a tractor with consumate ease as well as carrying out other activities.

So this was a small farming community, a one teacher school covering all ages from about 5 to 12, and a family of adults who didn't understand the 12 year old's homework. Let's say it was filmed in 2000-01, and we have something comparable to Rebanks' scenario almost 20 years after his childhood in Cumbria.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2019, 12:29 PM   #81
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Thanks Bookworm_Girl Great photos. I have to agree with Rebanks - there is something wonderful about stonewalls - so evocative.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:40 PM   #82
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Thanks Bookworm_Girl Great photos. I have to agree with Rebanks - there is something wonderful about stonewalls - so evocative.
Rebanks talks in the book about jobs that people did to earn more money. My friend's father used to repair walls in the area.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:45 AM   #83
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Where I live, which was first settled by Europeans nearly 400 years ago, there are many extent stone walls snaking all over, even through second-growth woods. The lore is that the soil is so rocky that the walls were a disposal method, in effect; something had to be down with all the rocks removed from the earth to make it suitable for farming, so why not build a wall?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #84
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Here there are both dry and mortared stone walls everywhere. And yet, we still grow more stones every year. I think they're breeding! Even my raised beds have started having stones in them every spring. Sheesh!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:57 AM   #85
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Rebanks has a new book out and there’s an article in the Washington Post about him today. The WaPo does have a paywall, but I hope people get a few freebies if they’re interested.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:43 AM   #86
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Rebanks has a new book out and there’s an article in the Washington Post about him today. The WaPo does have a paywall, but I hope people get a few freebies if they’re interested.
It is as good, if not better than The Shepherd's Life.

Last edited by astrangerhere; 09-14-2021 at 08:09 AM.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:06 AM   #87
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
last years book given new title. last year's book https://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Pas...s=books&sr=1-1

new book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pastoral-So...s%2C292&sr=1-1

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:50 AM   #88
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
It is as good, if not better than The Shepard's Life.
Thanks for sharing your review. I’ve been following his family’s Instagram account which has talked about the new book. I’m looking forward to reading it. The Shepard’s Life was one of my favorite book club selections.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:00 PM   #89
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Thanks for sharing your review. I’ve been following his family’s Instagram account which has talked about the new book. I’m looking forward to reading it. The Shepard’s Life was one of my favorite book club selections.
Not that such things matter to some folks, but it won the Wainright Prize for nature writing last week.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:12 PM   #90
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
You had me wondering, but it looks like "The Shepard's Life" must have been an autocorrect problem. Which I only bother to mention because...

For those that are interested, The Shepherd's Life by James Rebanks is currently selling for AUD$4.99 in Kobo Australia, which is a good price. Likely as enticement for the new book, I guess - they don't have the books linked up properly in Kobo, so you may need to search for them separately.

Last edited by gmw; 09-13-2021 at 08:14 PM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote