Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What labourious book shall we undertake to read in September?
The Shepherd's Life: A Tale of the Lake District by James Rebanks 5 83.33%
Shirley by Charlotte Brontë 3 50.00%
A Month in the Country by J. L. Carr 4 66.67%
My Life in France by Julia Child 4 66.67%
Forty Fathoms Deep by Ion L. Idriess 3 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #31
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I’m sorry for the late replies to these posts; I somehow missed that the discussion carried on after the vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I am really looking forward to this book. A few years ago I had the wonderful experience to spend a beautiful spring day touring the Lake District with friends from the US who grew up in northern England and Scotland. Specifically, one was raised on a Lake District farm which bred cattle and raised sheep. I asked if she knew this book. She has indeed read it and says that it is very good. She says the portrayal of farming life is "spot on". She knows this farm and some of the people in the book. I was surprised to learn that James Rebanks's farm is only 3 miles from her childhood farm and in the same parish area that we visited!

On our day trip we saw the farm where she lived, did a short walk through country lanes and climbed up the fell, visited the old village church where they were married, and had a lovely lunch in an old pub next to Ullswater Lake. It was so very green and mountainous. Stunningly beautiful and so different from the other areas across England that I have visited. Because it was May and the lambing season is in April, there were sheep everywhere across the landscape. I will share a few photos. Some look similar to the cover of the book.
Bookwork_Girl, what an amazing coincidence. Your visit sounds absolutely wonderful! Your description is my fantasy of a perfect walking tour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I so want to read all of these books! My Life in France is the one that I have already read. I read it after watching the movie Julie & Julia starring Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. I recommend you read the book and watch the movie if you haven't.
Thanks for the encouragement - I’ve kept the book on my list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I was afraid of this. I really can't read this. I get the images in my head and can't get them out.

And before anyone wonders, I am a vegetarian, I don't wear fur or leather, I avoid animal products, etc.
Catlady - I just wanted to say I’m sorry you can’t read the book, but I completely empathize. I have a hard time shaking images of children being mistreated, so I’ve learned it’s easier for me fast forward the tv / bypass imagery in books as well.

Last edited by Victoria; 09-04-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
In another of those book club synhronicities, I found the following article in the Guardian over the weekend and thought it was of interest in conjuction with our upcoming discussion.

Lake District heritage at risk as thrill-seekers ‘chew up’ idyllic trails
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #33
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks for the link issybird. It makes sad reading.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #34
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
It is sad reading. Not at all what you imagine when you think of the Lake District.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote