Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-01-2020, 09:05 AM   #1
Eduardo Fornies
Eduardo Fornies began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW/Duokan
User Defined USB don't show Card A

Hello,

I am a Kindle + Duokan user, and to connect to Duokan I use the "User Defined USB driver" with the Kindle parameters and "DK_Documents" as "Main memory folder" (disabling the Kindle drivers, of course). This works fine.

But what I want is to connect to the Kindle "documents" folder as well. So, I activate the azw* files and put "documents" in "Card A folder". This never works. The Card A option is never shown and is not possible to send books to the Card A in my device.

What can be wrong?

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Eduardo
Eduardo Fornies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:13 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Kindles dont have SD cards, at least not for years and years.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:10 AM   #3
Eduardo Fornies

Then, I am missing the point of the "Card A folder" option in the "User Defined USB driver". Does it not work as a link to a folder?
I mean: if my Kindle+Doukan has both folders ("DK_Documents" and "documents"), by filling up both options ("Main memory folder" and "Card A folder") both options should be available in Calibre. Isn't it? Where am I wrong?
Does Calibre connect in a different way to "Card A folder"?
Please, is just to understand how this driver works and get out the most of the options. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:59 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Are you saying that the Doukan software splits the internal storage in the Kindle in two? And that this is presented to the PC when you connect the device? And that this is being mounted on the PC? I haven't used Doukan, or the User defined USB Driver with a device that had two SD cards in it, but, I think the above is the minimum that would be needed for it to work.

And, it might be a good idea to disable the Kindle drivers. I don't know the order the driver and hardware is checked. There is a chance that there could be some interference between the two.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:08 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No it doesnt work with folders, it works with actual SD cards that are presented a separate USB mass storage devices to the OS.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #6
Eduardo Fornies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No it doesnt work with folders, it works with actual SD cards that are presented a separate USB mass storage devices to the OS.
OK, understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Are you saying that the Doukan software splits the internal storage in the Kindle in two? And that this is presented to the PC when you connect the device? And that this is being mounted on the PC? I haven't used Doukan, or the User defined USB Driver with a device that had two SD cards in it, but, I think the above is the minimum that would be needed for it to work.

And, it might be a good idea to disable the Kindle drivers. I don't know the order the driver and hardware is checked. There is a chance that there could be some interference between the two.
Yes, I have disabled the Kindle drivers. Otherwise Calibre always detects the device as a Kindle.
Duokan doesn't split the Kindle's internal storage. It just adds its own folders to the file structure:

Code:
 Volume in drive G is Kindle
 Volume Serial Number is 0000-0003

Directory of G:\

12/03/2017  11:00    <DIR>          system
12/03/2017  11:04    <DIR>          documents
14/04/2014  12:09    <DIR>          .active_content_sandbox
13/02/2020  10:49    <DIR>          DK_Documents
13/06/2015  12:09    <DIR>          DK_Download
01/07/2013  00:01    <DIR>          DK_News
01/07/2013  00:01    <DIR>          DK_Sync
01/07/2013  00:00    <DIR>          DK_BookStore
19/03/2015  12:11    <DIR>          DK_ReadingData
18/05/2015  06:27    <DIR>          DK_System
31/08/2015  23:06    <DIR>          System Volume Information
30/01/2020  09:29    <DIR>          _Screensavers
               0 File(s)              0 bytes
              12 Dir(s)     802.529.280 bytes free
The original Kindle folders are "system" and "documents". Duokan installation added the "DK_*" ones. The books are stored in "documents" while in Kindle mode, and in "DK_Documents" while in Duokan mode.

What I intended is to manage from Calibre both folders from the "User Defined USB driver" mode configured for Duokan. That way I can have the epub books always in the Doukan folder, but still manage the azw* books from the Kindle folder. I could copy to/from Calibre and make conversions between them without disconnecting the device and/or resetting Calibre or its drivers, having them clearly differentiated by the "main memory" and "card A" menus. Of course, without using the "connect to folder" feature.

Since the answer from Kovid I can see it is not possible.
Thanks both for your help and support.