Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-18-2020, 04:59 PM   #91
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Latest update includes some more minor shell QoL tweaks, and some more busybox tweaks (like, working modutils! modprobe with automagic dependency resolution, yay!).

Python 2 is EoL, so the default python symlink now points to Python 3.

perf & co is now bundled. It requires (among other things) perf events in the kernel, though, so it's probably Mk.6+ only (I can confirm that it won't work on Mk.5, but is probably okay on Mk. 7).

----

Most importantly, it changes how Python is shipped: instead of the insanity of bundling *two* full Python builds in every KoboRoot tarball, what's available in the first post now only bundles the core shell stuff.
So, how do you install Python, now?

A new OTA update script has been added: update-kobostuff
It'll check for updates and properly (i.e., it finally handles pre- and post- install cleanup) install the latest version of the core stuff, the python 3 build, or the python 2 build.

The README has a new section with more details about it, but, basically: it's much more convenient, it's a lot faster (zstd instead of gzip), it doesn't require a reboot or even an USBMS session, and it saves a bunch of precious write cycles, as the compressed data never actually makes it to disk (it's a curl -> zstd -> tar pipeline).
And, you no longer get force-fed 300MB of Python down your throat if you couldn't care less about Python, which makes the initial install that much more pleasant.

As far as this is concerned, you basically never have to deal with a KoboRoot tarball ever again, as using the script to update the core shell stuff will also be much faster, and it'll only update if there's actually an update available.

(TL;DR: All hail our evil overlord Facebook for coming up with zstandard, because zlib is the absolute pits).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-18-2020 at 05:17 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:07 PM   #92
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(TL;DR: All hail our evil overlord Facebook for coming up with zstandard, because zlib is the absolute pits).
Interestingly I did some quick and dirty compression tests on my Aura H2O a few weeks ago for a project that may or may not happen. Speed wise, there didn't seem to be an awful lot of difference between zstd and zlib TBH. Which makes sense, because from what I've read, most of the performance uplift comes from multithreading, and maybe some architecture specific optimizations, with a Cortex A8 class CPU being very low on the priority list.

Now granted, the compression ratio may be better, but I wasn't to concerned about that for my specific desires.

If you ever want speed, LZ4 is waaaaaay faster. But that comes at the expense of compression ratio, so you win some, and lose some.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:47 PM   #93
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@sherman: Decompression is where it's truly impressive, and that's what I was going for (coupled w/ a decent compression ratio, since the actual bottleneck is liable to be the Wifi, anyway) . Here, to get a compression ratio that's still worse than xz's defaults, I jump to --ultra -20, and it's then *slower* than xz (on the host, x64, both threaded).

(I mention xz because I've actually been using xz for these for quite a while on the Kindle side of things, and decompression speed is fairly nice (IIRC, better than both gzip & bz2) ).

But, yeah, if I needed the reverse (i.e, quick on-device compression, without particularly caring about the compression ratio), LZ4 would definitely be the top contender .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-18-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:50 PM   #94
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@sherman: Decompression is where it's impressive, and what I was going for (coupled w/ a decent compression ratio, since the actual bottleneck is liable to be the Wifi, anyway) . Here, to get a compression ratio that's still worse than xz's defaults, I jump to --ultra -20, and it's then *slower* than xz (on the host, x64, both threaded).

But, yeah, if I needed the reverse (i.e, quick on-device compression), LZ4 would definitely be the top contender .
Ahhh, yeah, I guess I was mainly testing compression, come to think of it.

Makes sense.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:46 PM   #95
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
@NiLuJe Um...
would you please explain this again, but for complete newbies?
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #96
marcoms
marcoms began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I tried running gdb but get the following error:

Code:
gdb: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Should the readline library be included? I just dragged the KoboRoot archive to the .kobo dir. I'm new to the ereader scene so maybe there was a step I missed
marcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:28 PM   #97
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@marcoms: Oops. As I said on GH, there's currently a silent dependency on the Python package, which is obviously unwanted .

It'll be fixed in the next builds, thanks!

(In the meantime, installing Python will magically "fix" it ^^).
Old 07-15-2020, 02:16 PM   #98
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So...would KoboStuff work on the Mini?
Old 07-15-2020, 02:20 PM   #99
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Elektron: Yep.

Quote:
TL;DR: It should work just fine for 99.9% of the population .
Old 07-15-2020, 05:27 PM   #100
Elektron
Banned

Quote:
@Elektron: Yep.
Thanks
Old 07-15-2020, 10:46 PM   #101
Elektron
Banned

Wait, wait, wait. So I put the KoboRoot.tgz into .kobo and it rebooted. Now, how do I put these things to use?
Old 07-15-2020, 10:50 PM   #102
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Wait, wait, wait. So I put the KoboRoot.tgz into .kobo and it rebooted. Now, how do I put these things to use?
Code:
ssh root@<kobo ip addr>
is a good start. Make sure you're connected to Wifi first. You'll want to keep the wifi menu open, or 'Force Wifi on' from dev mode to keep the wifi from going to sleep.

The reboot is normal, as the KoboRoot.tgz method uses the firmware update mechanism to install stuff.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:58 PM   #103
Elektron
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Code:
ssh root@<kobo ip addr>
is a good start. Make sure you're connected to Wifi first. You'll want to keep the wifi menu open, or 'Force Wifi on' from dev mode to keep the wifi from going to sleep.

The reboot is normal, as the KoboRoot.tgz method uses the firmware update mechanism to install stuff.
Sorry for the noob question but...what do I do from there? I'm completely new to the world of SSH and FTP. How do I do it directly from the Kobo? I'm lost...

Last edited by Elektron; 07-15-2020 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:10 PM   #104
sherman
Guru

You do it from your lapdop/desktop. In Windows 10/linux/MacOSX, you can open the command line/terminal and type
Code:
ssh root@<kobo ip addr>
For FTP/SCP/SFTP on windows, you can use a program like FileZilla or WinSCP (I use WinSCP myself) to connect to your Kobo and access the files. Username is root with no password.

You can probably also use NickelMenu to launch some of the tools/programs in this package.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:11 AM   #105
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Sorry for the noob question but...what do I do from there? I'm completely new to the world of SSH and FTP. How do I do it directly from the Kobo? I'm lost...
If you are using Windows, I'd recommend Putty as an ssh client. While Putty also has SCP and SFTP clients for file transfers, either of @sherman's suggested programs would be my preferred options.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssh, telnet, tools