Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #46
tamole
tamole has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Droid X
iReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Morse View Post
iReader doesn't have autoscroll, I don't think. However, you can change pages with the volume button (up/down to scroll up/down).
Actually iReader does have autoscroll. The developer has made some improvements in the latest update, but it is still hard to set speeds and the results are jumpy. eReader.com's Android ereader also supports autoscroll, but the site no longer carries much other than romance, science fiction titles and little known authors, not my favorite genres. That said, I can't understand why autoscroll is so elusive in the phone apps. Constantly having to flick a page every few seconds is distracting and takes away from the reading experience.
tamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #47
tamole
tamole has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Droid X
Eureka! I've been whining loudly about not being able to find a Droid epub ereader app that supports autoscroll. Today I discovered that the eReader.com ereader app does support epub books as well as pdb ebooks. You will have to remove the DRM first and there are tools for doing that found elsewhere on this forum (just do a search). It's a bit complicated, but once you set it all up, it's easy. I'm not a programmer and I was able to do it. You may have to purchase a book from eReader.com to unlock the app, I don't know because I already own about 400 books I purchased from them before Barnes and Noble bought them and moved all the good titles to their website. But the app is free. Then you can use Calibre ebook converter to add metadata (book info) if you want, or just install the DRM free version as is. The chapters will show up in your eReader directory as separate files, but they are linked when you open the book. Color me happy at last!
tamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 05:14 AM   #48
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamole View Post
Actually iReader does have autoscroll. The developer has made some improvements in the latest update, but it is still hard to set speeds and the results are jumpy. eReader.com's Android ereader also supports autoscroll, but the site no longer carries much other than romance, science fiction titles and little known authors, not my favorite genres. That said, I can't understand why autoscroll is so elusive in the phone apps. Constantly having to flick a page every few seconds is distracting and takes away from the reading experience.
I can say I don't find the page-turning all that annoying when I use iReader. I find hitting the volume button nearly as natural as touching the next page button on my Kindle. It is a little slow to change pages, but, again, so is the Kindle. But, as always, to each his or her own .

Since Autoscroll is a new feature in iReader you might want to report back to the author with constructive comments. I've suggested multiple features and seen them appear on his roadmap so he's definitely responsive to his users.

I'm really looking forward to him adding epub support in the future, I'd like to check out ebooks from my library.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:20 AM   #49
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibrunazo View Post
Which of the clients have better text to speech?

I have been using WordPlayer, which is great and has a nice functional text to speech. But the huge downside is that it's text to speech can only play a full chapter at a time. And you cannot stop nor rewind the speech while it's reading. Each chapter of the book I'm reading takes about 40 minutes to read. What if I need a break during that time? What if I want to start reading from the middle of the chapter? That's really bad.

Is there any ebook reader with speech that offers better control over the speaking. Maybe with a read by page or pause/back/forward controls?
FbreaderJ doesn't (yet) support TTS. I asked on the mailing list a while back and they're supposed to have someone interested in tying it into the existing TTS library.

You might look into joining the list and asking about it as well. I would expect the more interest shown, the quicker they'll be to move on it.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #50
PGP_Protector
Enthusiast
PGP_Protector doesn't litterPGP_Protector doesn't litterPGP_Protector doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
I'm looking at two Readers right now (Aldiko & FBReader) but I want to store ALL my E-Books on a secondary SD Card & not use the internal SD Card memory, how can I get both Programs to "Share" the same Library (Or is that even possible?) ?

Thanks to Google Free Books & Project Gutenberg and a more than a few PDFs I've got a large collection I'd like to just keep on hand.
PGP_Protector is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #51
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGP_Protector View Post
I'm looking at two Readers right now (Aldiko & FBReader) but I want to store ALL my E-Books on a secondary SD Card & not use the internal SD Card memory, how can I get both Programs to "Share" the same Library (Or is that even possible?) ?
AFAIK this isn't possible. I don't see any way in either of them to change the default directory for books.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #52
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
AFAIK this isn't possible. I don't see any way in either of them to change the default directory for books.
I do not know of a way to change Aldiko's path to books on the SD card, but FBReaderJ 0.6.6 does provide a way to change the path to books in the first item of the first Settings menu.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #53
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I do not know of a way to change Aldiko's path to books on the SD card, but FBReaderJ 0.6.6 does provide a way to change the path to books in the first item of the first Settings menu.
Then it should work (I hadn't used FB before and had just loaded it to check for this purpose and missed that setting). Just change the /Books directory to /ebooks and it should use Aldiko's folder.

EDIT: I just tried it and all my Aldiko books now also show up in FBReader.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 08-28-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #54
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Then it should work (I hadn't used FB before and had just loaded it to check for this purpose and missed that setting). Just change the /Books directory to /ebooks and it should use Aldiko's folder.

That is what I do to be able to use either reader on the same set of books.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #55
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:

EDIT: I just tried it and all my Aldiko books now also show up in FBReader.
Brian, can you access books from Dropbox thru Aldiko?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #56
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Brian, can you access books from Dropbox thru Aldiko?
Not directly that I know of, but I can pull up my Dropbox using the Dropbox App and click on a book and have it download into Aldiko. Works great.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #57
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Not directly that I know of, but I can pull up my Dropbox using the Dropbox App and click on a book and have it download into Aldiko. Works great.
I'm hoping some of these eReaders take advantage of Dropbox as their main file storage-I just love how frictionless it is across my devices.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #58
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yes thanks for the initial post and list as well as this thread.

I'm anxiously awaiting my Droid X ....

I'm hoping it works well as an ebook reader as well as all the other snazzy stuff it will do!

Last edited by kennyc; 09-01-2010 at 09:11 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #59
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Until very recently (a little over a week) I have been using FBReader on my HTC EVO 4G and Mobi Reader on my PC and Asus tablet/convertable, Using DarkReversaer and Calibre to give me DRM free compatible files for each. I ran across a book that I couldn’t find in Mobi format, so I decided to buy the Kindle version and since I had Kindle readers on ALL of my devices I just used that.

In spite of the fact that the Kindle readers are relatively featureless, I discovered that WhisperSync more than made up for two page display, swipe to change page, et. al. missing features. Since I frequently jump from device to device to read depending on my circumstances, having them automatically synced rather than doing clumsy word searches to sync them is WONDERFUL.

I don’t mind the DarkReverser/Calible/USB flail to load books, but the sync feature alone is worth it. And one click/Whispernet downloads is just icing.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #60
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
It looks like Kobo now has a desktop application.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one